Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-07-2018, 18:49   #1

California sales tax

I am looking at a boat in San Diego California where sales tax is 7.75%. In Long Beach I was quoted 10%.
I was thinking about moving boat to Marina del Ray. The boat is expensive . Will I have to pay the 2.0+ Extra? The broker says that the county goes through Marinas in January and looks up taxes.
I have bought two sailboats in the past that were in Michigan that I brought to Ohio. I paid Michigan sales tax and the Ohio Tax collectors were happy.
I am not interested in taking boat to Encinada Mexico to avoid taxes.
I just can’t believe if you pay you taxes in state and move to different locale in same state they would assess extra!
Going Gaugain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 19:00   #2

Boat: Swan 432
Re: California sales tax

You should contact the assessors office for whatever county Long Beach is in.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 19:07   #3

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Gaugain View Post
I am looking at a boat in San Diego California where sales tax is 7.75%. In Long Beach I was quoted 10%.
I was thinking about moving boat to Marina del Ray. The boat is expensive . Will I have to pay the 2.0+ Extra? The broker says that the county goes through Marinas in January and looks up taxes.
I have bought two sailboats in the past that were in Michigan that I brought to Ohio. I paid Michigan sales tax and the Ohio Tax collectors were happy.
I am not interested in taking boat to Encinada Mexico to avoid taxes.
I just can’t believe if you pay you taxes in state and move to different locale in same state they would assess extra!
From how you describe it, sure appears to be some decent county taxes and extremely unfortunate that multiple counties expect you to pay tax on the same boat more than once.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 19:11   #4

Boat: Swan 432

And, unless I am wrong, sales tax is a one time thing paid at the time of sale. If the boat is documented there should be no reason to have to register the boat in different counties. The big thing they look for at the first of the year is boats needing to pay use tax, that is based on where they are Jan 1.
deluxe68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 19:18   #5

If you live in LA county, you will pay 10% sales tax and if the boat is documented, still you have to pay Property tax every year in CA.
cpt_757 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 19:39   #6

So in addition to sales tax there is a property tax that is paid yearly like on a house? Wow ! What are those tax rates?
Going Gaugain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 19:44   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Boat property tax is roughly 1%, of boat value, plus local additions
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-07-2018, 20:44   #8

Boat: Columbia 29 MK1 Hull #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Going Gaugain View Post
So in addition to sales tax there is a property tax that is paid yearly like on a house? Wow ! What are those tax rates?
This and another CA tax discussion make me hesitant to put my boat back in the water in CA. We were trying to decide between there and FL and FL is sounding better everyday.

The wife and I left CA years ago for just this sort of thing. The costs of living were on the increase but pay wasn't able to keep up. I think the other CA tax thread said the guy was accessed over $900 and he was only passing through CA but was in the Marina in January for two or three weeks.

Lots of advice has been given on record keeping and documentation and how to fight it which is prudent but sad that's its needed. We were hounded by CA for three years of registration and taxes despite providing evidence we no longer lived or keep vehicles there.

I am still waiting on a new title from CA for my last boat purchase and can only imagine a tax or fee of some sort will follow shortly but certainly hope not.
406Columbia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, california, sale