Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 13:43   #1

Boat: Alden Malabar Sr 33
BVI-Culebra-BVI Roundtrip

I'm an American and I'll be doing like my 15th BVI bareboat trip Feb 2014. I want to do a BVI to Culebra roundtrip. I am seeking info regarding what obligation I have regarding Customs and Immigration. When I check out of BVI, do I need to ck in at St. John before proceeding to Culebra? Do I call ahead to San Juan or to Culebra? Also, how long a transit on the beat/reach back to USVI/ Jost Van Dyke? Any help much appreciated.
sloopguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2013, 13:54   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: BVI-Culebra-BVI Roundtrip

You'll need to clear in in Culebra. Clearing in in the USVI won't do you any good, as they are duty-free ports, and you'd still have to clear customs in PR.

Last time I was there, I dinghied ashore in Dewey and walked to the airport. The C&I office was closed and no one knew when it would open. I ended up clearing in by phone. You can look up the number by Googling. Good luck!

The time required for your trip back will depend on whether you motor-sail or not, and how strong the Trades are blowing. It's only about 15 nm from Culebrita to Charlotte Amalie, but it can take half the day to get there.
Old 09-10-2013, 14:49   #3

Boat: Freedom Express 39 cat ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by sloopguy View Post
I'm an American and I'll be doing like my 15th BVI bareboat trip Feb 2014. I want to do a BVI to Culebra roundtrip. I am seeking info regarding what obligation I have regarding Customs and Immigration. When I check out of BVI, do I need to ck in at St. John before proceeding to Culebra? Do I call ahead to San Juan or to Culebra? Also, how long a transit on the beat/reach back to USVI/ Jost Van Dyke? Any help much appreciated.
First make sure your charter company is aware of your plans and is ok with it.
Next ask them if your charter boat has a US Customs Decal Sticker affixed to it. If it doesn't you, and all of the others onboard will have to go to the customs office at the airport in Dewey and pay a $35 fee for not having the sticker. If the boat does have the sticker and all onboard are US citizens then you should be able to clear in over the phone by calling 1 (877) 529-6840 or (787) 729-6600.
Backing up, I'm not sure if you are required to clear into the USVI at St John, since that would be the first available location, or if you can go directly to Culebra. I'd suggest you call the numbers I've listed and ask or do a search online.

Return time to Jost is a tough call. Are you sailing, motoring, motor sailing? How fast will the boat go? How big are the seas? I've taken as long as 5hrs in a 46' cat that would do 8kts on flat water to go 15 miles from Culebra to the west edge of St Thomas in nasty conditions motor sailing into 25kts of wind and 10-15' seas. I've also made the same trip in just over 2 hours under sail on my old 31' mono when an odd south wind was blowing. How many nails does it take to build a house?:-). It depends!
Rubikoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Culebra