Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2019, 11:04   #1

Boat: Sun Fizz
Exclamation Buying a french boat with Canadian flag.

Hello,
I really need some advice on some annoying border bureaucratic issues. I am very interested in a Sun fizz 40 that is for sale. It is a french made boat with a Canadian flag but will be in New York at the time of the sale which is my home state.

My questions are:
Can I keep it as a Canadian flagged vessel as an American?
If not
Would I have to pay duty and import fees and what would they be?

Iv read some horror stories buying a Canadian vessel in the US. Such as its not even legal to show a boat for sale with out some sort of broker Bullship.

Thus far as been private interaction with no broker, trying to avoid broker fees, tariffs and duties. I just want to sail and get out of US waters ASAP.

please Help!
LuckyWizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 09:00   #2

Boat: Sun Fizz
Re: Buying a french boat with Canadian flag.

After spending around 8 hours researching this topic I have found that it is actually Illegal for a foreign flag vessel to post their boat for sale while having a cruising permit. The boat is still in Canada so I advised the seller to keep it in Canada while it is listed for sale and not to bring it to New Yorks Lake Champlain.

Permit regulations are posted here: https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/19/4.94

"
Any offer to sell or charter (for example, a listing with yacht brokers or agents) is considered evidence that the vessel was brought in for sale or charter to a resident or, if made within one year of entry of a vessel brought in free of duty as personal effects, that the vessel no longer is for the personal use of the non-resident.
If the vessel is sold or chartered, or offered for sale or charter, in the circumstances described, without the owner first having filed a consumption entry and having paid duty, the vessel may be subject to seizure or to a monetary claim equal to the value of the vessel. See Chapter 89, Additional U.S. Note 1, HTSUS, and subheadings 8903.10, 8903.91, 8903.92, 8903.99.10, 8903.99.20, and 8903.99.90, HTSUS."

more maritime laws here: in section "4.94" near the bottom of the page.

https://www.govregs.com/regulations/...rp1_section4.1

Hope this information is helpful for others wondering about buying foreing flagged vessels that are in the US
LuckyWizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying, duty, enc, foreignflagged, import, sale