Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:46   #1

Building a Boat, Registration and Compliance ?

Hi, I'm new! I am considering building a boat, less than 28' probably. I guess it's like any vehicle/trailer in the states, list of materials, receipts, maybe an inspection and fill out the application for title. Right?

What and who inspects if any...and what is required, what rules apply?

Now, I was reading about a micro cruiser from EU who showed up in Canada, it was 12/14/16 foot, somewhere like that. This guy had sailed from Sweden to South America and back up. The Candadians said is boat was not seaworthy and would not allow him to sail away, he had to get a U-Haul (it fit in the back of thier big truck) and brought it to the States!

I don't want to get stuck and have my way home confiscated or impounded! What do I do? Thanks
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 10:12   #2

OK, twenty views and LOL. I can call for registration, but what happens with home built craft that has no registration/manufacture plate? Can someone point me to the Reg.? Is this included in certified (NA) plans?
Old 05-09-2010, 10:29   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
I just did a quick search on google, and it looks like the procedure varies from state to state.
I searched "how to register a home built boat"
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:03   #4

Thank you James, my concern is after a state registration and entering Candian waters, which I will probably do, the article I mentioned above kinda concerns me. It appeared that some Mounty of the water could simply decide he didn't think the boat was seaworthy and order you to hual it out! DOe that happen, the article I read was from years ago, but you know many laws don't change.

A title will not assess seaywotyness, does the coast guard have to inspect a boat this small to o out? Thanks again..
Old 05-09-2010, 11:28   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Well....28ft isn't a small boat.
I really don't know how long the hand of the authorities is...my guess is its long enough for them to protect their waters and residence.
Sorry I cant be more help mate.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 11:36   #6

Boat: Building 30' Dory
I would figure out what the requirements are for your state is for registoring a home made boat first. Then research what documentation Canada requires. As long as you have the appropriate documentation you should be good. Also if your state does not require the Coasties to inspect your boat, it can not hurt to call them up and see if they are willing to conduct an inspection of her when she is done and obtain a copy of that inspection.

"All things are possible, once you overcome your fears."
Messman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2010, 12:12   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavewacker View Post
Hi, I'm new! I am considering building a boat, less than 28' probably. I guess it's like any vehicle/trailer in the states, list of materials, receipts, maybe an inspection and fill out the application for title. Right?

What and who inspects if any...and what is required, what rules apply?

Now, I was reading about a micro cruiser from EU who showed up in Canada, it was 12/14/16 foot, somewhere like that. This guy had sailed from Sweden to South America and back up. The Candadians said is boat was not seaworthy and would not allow him to sail away, he had to get a U-Haul (it fit in the back of thier big truck) and brought it to the States!

I don't want to get stuck and have my way home confiscated or impounded! What do I do? Thanks
First, I'd contact whichever government agency registers boats in your state and ask them how to register the boat when built (since you're not even close to the first person to ever do so, it must be a well established policy).

Then, with your state registration in hand (which satisfies the USCG for things like ownership, etc) figure out if your boat is big enough to be documented: If it is fill out the paperwork and pay the bill.

Seaworthiness has little to do with who built the boat. After all, the Titanic was built by engineers, the Ark by amateurs
Old 05-09-2010, 12:41   #8

Thanks fo the comments and I agree. Instead of fretting over it, I will start calling after the holidays. I'm in Misouri, the Mo. Water Patrol (under H/P) will be a PITA to get answers from as I built a trailer that they inspected, the guy thought he was an engineer, but it passed. I really would think that it will amount to showing receipts for the materials in it (as if they could tell) and motor numbers.

I have assumed that a boat under 30' would be exempt, from what I have read, or found to read, many regulations only applied to larger craft and commercial vessels. That may apply for running down inland waters but I intend to get out some, in the Great Loop. Bumping up to Canada was planed as well.

I guess my paranoia came from the article I mentioned, where a homebuilt was basically seized, not because of the lack of ownership documentation, but on the opinion of Candaian authorities simply saying it was not seaworthy (due to it's size). I thought that was outragious considering where he had sailed. I'm hoping to keep it down to 20 to 24 foot, but as my requirements are amended, I'm thinking it may end up about 27/28' and maybe at that size, I'm worrying about nothing. Just wondered if anyone had any similar issues.
Old 05-09-2010, 17:54   #9

Quote:
Thanks fo the comments and I agree. Instead of fretting over it, I will start calling after the holidays. I'm in Misouri, the Mo. Water Patrol (under H/P) will be a PITA to get answers from as I built a trailer that they inspected, the guy thought he was an engineer, but it passed. I really would think that it will amount to showing receipts for the materials in it (as if they could tell) and motor numbers.

I have assumed that a boat under 30' would be exempt, from what I have read, or found to read, many regulations only applied to larger craft and commercial vessels. That may apply for running down inland waters but I intend to get out some, in the Great Loop. Bumping up to Canada was planed as well.

I guess my paranoia came from the article I mentioned, where a homebuilt was basically seized, not because of the lack of ownership documentation, but on the opinion of Candaian authorities simply saying it was not seaworthy (due to it's size). I thought that was outragious considering where he had sailed. I'm hoping to keep it down to 20 to 24 foot, but as my requirements are amended, I'm thinking it may end up about 27/28' and maybe at that size, I'm worrying about nothing. Just wondered if anyone had any similar issues.

If the boat was seized because 'of it's size' maybe it wasn't seaworthy. If the guy was planning on sailing out of Canada with a small, marginal boat then Canada would be entitled to say "no" since they're the ones who would have to go look for him. And I've seen some floating idjits try stupid things over the years.

Whatever size boat you build, the basic NavReg rules for lighting will apply. The rules for PFD's, fire extinguishers, and signaling devices will apply. The commonsense requirements for other things will apply (but perhaps not have the force of law).
Old 06-09-2010, 03:35   #10
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
In my 30 yrs in the Coast Guard (Cdn) I've never heard of a recreational boat being seized for being unseaworthy (I'm not saying it hasn't happened though). I have seen and been involved in a number of seizures of small boats for pollution incidents.

Transport Canada is the regulatory body in Canada for small vessel construction but as far as I know their reach only extends to commercially built boats and not home builds. I'm about to begin building one myself. Home built boats are encouraged to follow the Small Vessel Construction Standards set by TC which mirror the ABYC standards. You can have your home built boat inspected by a TC inspector if you wish and want to pay the fees. Your insurer may require this before they'll issue you coverage.

You might be able to get clarification on the TC web site. Welcome Page | Page d'accueil
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 07:24   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz View Post
In my 30 yrs in the Coast Guard (Cdn) I've never heard of a recreational boat being seized for being unseaworthy ...
Do Canada and/or other nations have statutory prohibitions such as the American “Manifestly Unsafe Voyage”?

U.S. Law:
PROHIBITION TO SAIL - MANIFESTLY UNSAFE VOYAGE
Under the authority of 46 United States Code 4302 and 4308, the Commandant, U. S. Coast Guard has authorized the District Commander to prohibit the voyage of any vessel if he determines that said craft is unsuitable for the intended trip. His determination will be based upon the design, condition and outfitting of the vessel in relation to what the District Commander deems necessary for a safe voyage. Operator competency is NOT a factor in the final determination...

http://www.uscg.mil/d1/prevention/Na...nforcement.PDF

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 08:19   #12
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Do Canada and/or other nations have statutory prohibitions such as the American “Manifestly Unsafe Voyage”?
I don't know but I'll try to find out tomorrow at work. Standby...
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
registration