Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2010, 20:10   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 1
Bringing My Boat to the US

I am a UK citizen and I ordered my new boat, my lifetime dream, while living and working in the UK. Before the boat arrived, my company relocated me to Dubai. So I took delivery of the boat there in late 2008. Having spent two happy years sailing in the Gulf, i was further relocated to the US. So we decided to bring the boat with us to the US and had it shipped from Dubai to NY. I plan to sail the boat on the NE coast, at least for the 2011 season, most likely berthing in CT.
I understand that I need to register the boat at a DMV (like a car). Can anyone out there explain what my options are for this?

gwasyneidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 15:20   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Vancouver
Boat: Stephens, MY, 70 ft,Vancouver and 43 ft Hatteras in Florida
Posts: 33
registration of boat

If you were going to Florida the state allows 20 days after import to register and pay "user tax", this is separate from US customs fees if any.

should you choose to go the annual cruising permit route as noted below, registration and tax not payable.

after that it will depend if you are going to flag the boat US, and if not a US citizen I don't think you can do that, therefore you would be subject to the prospect of departing to a foreign port annually in order to get a new annual cruising permit from US customs and border protection.

There was a time when successive cruising licenses would be issued to certain foreign flagged vessels but that seems to be a changing situation...

See CBP.Gov for foreign vessel cruising licenses details.

canuck dennis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 16:00   #3
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: SW Florida
Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Posts: 3,732
As stated, you cannot flag (USCG document) the vessel in the US if you are not a US citizen. Registering the vessel in a particular US state (not USCG documented) may have future implications if you visit a non-US port. All foreign countries recognize USCG documentation, but may not recognize a US state registration.

If you can live with the 15 days a year out of the US, leaving the boat flagged in a foreign country and obtaining the US CBP cruising permit might be the best option.
DotDun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2010, 21:33   #4
Eternal Member
Chief Engineer's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: North of Baltimore
Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Posts: 3,798
Here you go

DMV: Documents Required for Registration of a Boat
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote

« Mixed Crew ? | Out »
Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Buying an Ex-Charter Boat and Bringing it Back to US ? jacob30 Dollars & Cents 2 05-11-2010 07:47
Bringing a French boat into US Waters Meck Dollars & Cents 7 03-03-2009 15:55
Bringing US Boat Back to Canada ? westcoastgirl Dollars & Cents 1 25-08-2008 19:59
Bringing our new boat home! Liberty28 General Sailing Forum 2 20-04-2008 04:18

Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:45.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.