Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2016, 04:33   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Brexit and Finnish Customs

I was checked by Finnish Customs today -- the third contact I've had with Finnish officialdom in less than a month in these waters. They are remarkably active for some reason.

The officers were very young, not unfriendly, but focused on trying to find a problem, and it seemed to me, rather stupid.

They asked me: "Do you have any customs documents for this vessel?"

I said -- "For the time being, the UK is STILL in the EU, so no." They didn't know what to make of this answer, and discussed it among themselves for a long time in Finnish, while looking at my Red Ensign and pointing at my transom, saying something like "Southampton!" "Europi!" "Europi, ja!" "Southampton!". I think despite the highly rated Finnish educational system, we were dealing here with some challenges in geography knowledge. My American passport was probably adding to the confusion by generating a powerful wave of cognitive dissonance.

Eventually I was told in a surprised voice, that "I think there are no problems here." But not before they even checked my O.N. & registered tonnage plaque, and my H.I.N. stamped (thank you Moody) conveniently in the transom.

There was no argo, I was not nervous, it wasn't actually unpleasant, but jeeze . . .

Moral of the story: Always keep your documents in absolutely perfect order!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 05:17   #2

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
Re: Brexit and Finnish Customs

Hoping that the attitudes remain cordial as the issues are sorted out.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2016, 05:30   #3

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)
Re: Brexit and Finnish Customs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I was checked by Finnish Customs today -- the third contact I've had with Finnish officialdom in less than a month in these waters. They are remarkably active for some reason.

The officers were very young, not unfriendly, but focused on trying to find a problem, and it seemed to me, rather stupid.

They asked me: "Do you have any customs documents for this vessel?"

I said -- "For the time being, the UK is STILL in the EU, so no." They didn't know what to make of this answer, and discussed it among themselves for a long time in Finnish, while looking at my Red Ensign and pointing at my transom, saying something like "Southampton!" "Europi!" "Europi, ja!" "Southampton!". I think despite the highly rated Finnish educational system, we were dealing here with some challenges in geography knowledge. My American passport was probably adding to the confusion by generating a powerful wave of cognitive dissonance.
:-D They aren't considered as the brightest minds around here. Just barely throw the educational system, a short course after started to work. I've imported regularly goods from the US and everytime had to tell them how to fill the paperwork, and some of them didn't believe what I told instead asked from their superiors and eventually got the same response again. Nowadays it's easier, just online without the nowsy idiots. Well, sometimes we have been smugling this and that but that's not so profitable anymore, EU and all that..
A friend of mine they were trying to stop for an inspection once just opened the window a bit and shouted them " got no bones" and drowed on. Later that day they found out he was implying them as dogs..

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
customs