Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-02-2017, 02:29   #1

Boat: Gib sea 43
Boats croatia CE certificate? do they get one?

I have been thinking about buying an ex charter boat in Croatia for commercial use in europe, but some people have said the jenny/benny etc in croatia dont get a ce plate or certificate, does anyone know if this is true?

Cheers

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
stevensuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:39   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Boats croatia CE certificate? do they get one?

I think that any boat constructed by an EU builder is obliged to CE rate it.. even Beneteau USA built boats have a CE Rating.. or at least my 2001 Bene 331 built in the States did.. where it goes to after the construction is irrelevant..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:59   #3

Re: Boats croatia CE certificate? do they get one?

I was reading elsewhere and someone was saying that the croatian jennys etc did not have them as they were out of the EU, my boat came from the bvis, and had one, but it was British flagged so who knows. You still up in foz boatman? got some friends, boatie people moved to alvaiziere near tomar not far from you, gonna head up there next weekend and pay them a visit.

If the pen is mightier than the sword, then my keyboard must be a nuclear missile!
Old 01-02-2017, 03:07   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Yes I'm still keeping the boat at Fig da Foz tho' live in Coimbra most of the time..
Re the Bene/Jene thing I find it hard to believe that the same boats sold in the EU/USA are not CE'd if sold in Croatia.. the CE is an EU thing and is not to my knowledge needed in the USA yet they still get rated.. its a must for any boat to be legally sold in the EU.. try selling a US import here without one..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 01-02-2017, 03:44   #5

The problem , if there is one, is that croatia is only recently part of the eu, The boats i am looking at are 10 years old, so sold in croatia when not part of the eu, maybe i will email some brokers there and ask, was hoping some people on here who had bought from croatia would know,but yeah it sounds a bit hogwash to me, but it might be true!

My wifes whineing as we got several ground frosts, kind of unheard of down in the algarve, killed a lot of her veggies, snow up your way recently?

Old 01-02-2017, 04:30   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Its been extra cold this year.. closest snow has got to Coimbra is Lousa about 20km away and slightly higher ground.. we sit in the valley on the Rio Mondego so that touch warmer.
There were reports of snow in Tavira on the Algarve about 2wks back and on the news it looked to be up to 1ft in places.. first time in 50+yrs apparently.
They had snow in and along the coast of Benidorm and the heavily snow capped Sierra Nevada's looked quite impressive as we came down from Barcelona last week.. but man it was a cold trip.. Brrrrrrrrrrrr..!!!
There's heavy weather in the Atlantic.. reports of 20metre sea's in the Azores and 10metres along the W coast of Portugal.. ports closed.

Old 01-02-2017, 09:10   #7

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

Our 2003 Fountaine Pajot Athena purchased new for charter in Croatia has a a CE mark. The regulations require that certain products (including recreational craft) 'placed on the market in the EU' must be CE marked. That includes selling to agents as well as end users.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:50   #8

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40

Any EU built boat will have a CE certificate regardless of where it has been kept. The builder of a boat doesn't actually have to be within the EU to build to CE certificate standards but any boat destined to be sold in the EU must have this certificate.

Any charter boat in Croatia will be CE certificated and I believe whilst Croatia only joined the EU a couple of years ago even Salona Yachts (Croatian built) have CE certificates.

If you are not sure then best to contact the dealer and ask to see the CE certificate for the boat you are interested in. If they say they don't have it then walk away.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:24   #9

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Athena 11.6m Rapa Nui II

A CE boat should have a CE mark placed on the vessel and be supplied with a EC Declaration of Conformity although the latter is likely to have gone astray not that it matters. Placing the mark means that either the EU manufacturer or the EU distributor (for stuff manufactured outside the EU) has done the assessment of compliance and created the necessary technical file. All the buyer needs to do is verify that there is a CE mark on the vessel and ideally the declaration of conformity.
Rapanui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 10:59   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

Any boat can apply to be CE marked. I put a 1973 Pearson 36-1 through a PostConstruction Assessment survey, got a CE plaque for the whole boat and a RCD rating "A".

Was less than 2500 euros including repairing the "defects", adding a second lifeline, gaskets to the cockpit hatches, etc.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 11:48   #11

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 473- 2006

I Bought a Beneteau 473 , ex charter in Croatia in 2006 - before Croatia was in the E.U.- the boat was and is C E rated - I would think that any production boats built in Europe would have to be C E rated from a sales point of view .
Rgds Garth
GarthGregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:04   #12

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

What kind of boat? Saw a lot of Bavaria's there.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 12:39   #13

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

My 1998 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 45.2, bought new by the PO for delivery in upstate NY (via Montreal) has a CE plate with the number XXXXX'd out.

I never asked but assume it had to do with some of the changes made to "North-American-ize" the boat - perhaps wiring (shore power, interior outlets, water 120V heater, relocation of the ELCI from the nav station panel to within 10' of the entry, who knows what else). Or perhaps even something(s) that was/were left out as unnecessary for a N.A. version. It's not obvious what was done at the factory vs the dealer (except for some of the shoddy bits that I know were the dealer).
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2020, 02:16   #14

Apologies for being late on this one. If you’re buying a 10 year old boat in the EU, constructed outside the EU, does it HAVE to have a CE certificate? Clearly, it’s in my interest that it does, but it doesn’t. Is the broker legally allowed to sell it?

A tangential question... does having a CE certificate make any difference to insurance or (way more importantly) claiming on insurance, in the event of some accident.

Much appreciated chaps :-)
Papawads is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Croatia