Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2009, 15:18   #1

Boat: 2004, Hunter 36
Boating Permit in US

Here in Canada, starting september 15, you will need a special driving permit to use any craft with a motor (dinghy, sailboat, motorboat...)

Do you have something similar in USA? Or maybe different rules by states?

Thanks
Rastarea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 15:30   #2

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rastarea View Post
Here in Canada, starting september 15, you will need a special driving permit to use any craft with a motor (dinghy, sailboat, motorboat...)

Thanks
Not yet but God help us or mabey God should F*<< us if we should ever see that kind of BS in The United States of America.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 15:32   #3

In Texas, if you are under sixteen, you have to take boating safety classes. I don't know that you need any license if you are older, but if you drive recklessly, they will fine you big time.
TexSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 15:36   #4
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Please God don't give Maryland that idea.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 16:04   #5

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
In NJ you need a license to operate any motorized vessel, including PWC...
As of June 2008 a boating safety class is mandatory...no more test-out options.

We actually have two licenses...one for tidal waters and one for lakes and non tidal rivers. The non-tidal license appears as an endorsement on your drivers license.
The tidal license is a separate license.
Any violations on the water or visa versa, can affect your drivers license.
In other words, they can suspend your auto drivers license for DUI on the water.

I believe miost states in the USA have some form regulation today as I see the textbooks online when I purchase ours.....see www.Boated.com
Old 19-01-2009, 17:44   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
This is a real hot button issue. I think a little required knowledge is better than nothing but I would hate to see government makes things overly burdensome.

I hope these states that are requiring licenses are going to recognize licenses from other states and those with Coast Guard licenses.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 18:41   #7

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
I take it if you don't live in NJ you can't get a NJ drivers license. Since my state does not have a boat drivers license or endorsement on my auto drivers license, does this mean I cannot bring my boat into NJ state waters?
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 19:25   #8

Boat: 34 Sabre Tempest
Captain, great question.

The answer is yes, for a bottle of Rum, we'll let you come hang out for 90 days.
bring your fishing rod.

How Long can I keep my boat in Oriental before the tax man comes a calling ?
Old 19-01-2009, 20:17   #9

Boat: Cal 40 (sold). Still have a Hobie 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I take it if you don't live in NJ you can't get a NJ drivers license. Since my state does not have a boat drivers license or endorsement on my auto drivers license, does this mean I cannot bring my boat into NJ state waters?
Don't know about NJ, but I assume most states have been more or less copying each other. Here's Washington state's exemptions e and f.

I love well written laws, I think e says if you are a non-resident and don't have a permit you can operate with a motor bigger than 15 hp in Washington for 60 days.

RCW 79A.60.640: Requirements to operate motor driven boats/vessels — Exemptions — Penalty.

(e) Any person who is not a resident of Washington state and who does not operate a motor driven boat or vessel with an engine power of fifteen horsepower or greater in waters of the state for more than sixty consecutive days;

(f) Any person who is not a resident of Washington state and who holds a current out-of-state or out-of-country certificate or card that is equivalent to the rules adopted by the commission;
cal40john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 20:43   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Actually it has already happened. In an effort to stop the drunken power boaters from killing each (they need the tax money) they are enacting mandatory boating safety course in 41 states (but not Maryland I checked the list) and I think it will reach all states. Boating Safety Course with Online Exam - Get Your Boating License or Certification

This is clearly a government example of the least they can do. So they are. For minors under 18 it's almost the law every place and for old guys here in VA it kicks in soon.

The good news is if you can read at a 5th grade level and have even a little experience you can study and pass it in a few hours. This is minimum competency exam not a certified offshore sailor. The goal is to keep the really dumb people from killing themselves or others. They do it more than you think.

The better news is all the states are doing it as an on line exam and you don't pay until you pass. It really is all about the money too. You are worthless dead.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2009, 06:17   #11

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest245 View Post
Captain, great question.

How Long can I keep my boat in Oriental before the tax man comes a calling ?
Depending on when you arrive it can be up to about 24 Months. If you are not in the state and are not renting a slip on January 1, you do not have to list your boat on the property tax rolls for that year (If you're renting a slip they assume that the boat is in NC whether it is actually in the slip or not). They will catch up to you the following January and your tax will be due by Dec. 31 of that year. We don't have sales tax in NC on used boats purchased from individuals and a $1500 Limit on boats purchased new "at retail". USCG documented vessels are not required to be registered with the state. So if you come to NC and buy a used USCG documentable vessel from an individual after January 1st, it is actually quite a while before the tax man cometh.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2009, 05:16   #12

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc
Australia has had it for 10 years now you go to the same place as your car to get it. its a revenue raiser or as they put it for my safety. twice the price off my car license!

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
permit