Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2015, 09:41   #151

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Boat with Dutch Flag I got a ticket notice in Portugal

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
I like the way you call this an "envy tax"! Most call it a wealth tax!

Spain, Italy and Greece also levy wealth taxes on boats. Spain and Greece levy the tax on all tax residents of their countries if the boat is kept in the country.

Italy levies the tax on all boats registered in Italy.

Guess why there are very few Italian registered boats in Italy!

JimB
No, that is not the case at least for used boats registered in Italy in what regards other EU citizens (not Italians). I know that for sure because that is my situation. I bought and changed the register to my name (in Italy). The only thing I had to do was getting an Italian Fiscal number but there is nothing to pay except the regular boat inspections.

Non Italians are excepted from Italian Taxes on boats and it is logical because it is a Tax for Italian citizens, not for citizens of another country.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 01:40   #152
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Charter vessels!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
No, that is not the case at least for used boats registered in Italy in what regards other EU citizens (not Italians). I know that for sure because that is my situation. I bought and changed the register to my name (in Italy). The only thing I had to do was getting an Italian Fiscal number but there is nothing to pay except the regular boat inspections.

Non Italians are excepted from Italian Taxes on boats and it is logical because it is a Tax for Italian citizens, not for citizens of another country.
Hi Polux,

My apologies!

You're right, that tax only applies to tax residence in Italy. and only to boats over 14m, and there are discounts for sail and age of boat . . .

However, one effect of this, reported by industry magazines (sorry, I don't have the reference) is that since 2014, many larger Italian vessels not based in Italy changed registry from Italy to other flags, and ownership to shell companies . . .

Sorry to mislead . . . next time I'll check before writing!

JimB
jckb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 02:58   #153

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by jckb View Post
Hi Polux,

My apologies!

You're right, that tax only applies to tax residence in Italy. and only to boats over 14m, and there are discounts for sail and age of boat . . .

However, one effect of this, reported by industry magazines (sorry, I don't have the reference) is that since 2014, many larger Italian vessels not based in Italy changed registry from Italy to other flags, and ownership to shell companies . . .

Sorry to mislead . . . next time I'll check before writing!

JimB
Jim, no need to apologize, you have and are a reference in what regards information for cruisers and have made an excellent job.

Regarding MOT, they are an exception to the rules of the EU free market and were open due to cars and the huge and big taxation that cars have in some countries. Having opened the door with cars, boats and airplanes followed but it is my impression that in what regards boats the countries that demand import of boats from another EC country are a minority.

On most EC countries, even in what regards new boats you can buy them where you want inside the EU and bring them home. Tax on boats is not yet a common practice and I hope it will never be. They pay VAT and that is already a big tax. Some countries have the possibility of paying only half VAT if they buy the boat through leasing.

Some years ago I bought a new boat in Palma de Maiorca, Spain and brought it to Portugal without any problem and last year I helped French friends to buy a new boat on Croatia and they are paying it with a French leasing (and that means the boat belongs to the leasing company). No problem too.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 11:16   #154

This topic is old but interesting, Breezer. What happened, at the end?
You had to pay the ticket, right?
psousa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 11:31   #155

Boat: Fibramar Farilhao 600 (6.0m)

psousa: Nothing yet, but I contacted knowlegeable people on the matter at hand, including a lawyer and a the teacher that teaches cartas de marinheiro e de patrão local whom also has his boat registered under Belgium flag and they also tried to do the same to him as they tried to do to me and I was told I did everything absolutely perfect because legally they can not enforce portuguese national Regulamento da Nautica de Recreio because it is out of their jurisdiction.

They have 18months after the initial report to answer back to me or the bogus "case" gets dismissed..

PM me if you want.

Breezer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Portugal