Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2006, 18:06   #16

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by knottybuoyz
Atta boy brother Dave! Right On!

Pussers? Lambs? Dark? Light? Amber? Spiced?
G'day there Rick,

I have a water purifier and make my own brew, it's a blend of Navy, Jamaican and dark styles.

The commercialy made stuff gives me shocking hangovers and cost's way to much.

Over here it's really only Captain Morgan and Bundaberg, for some reason for a nation of piss heads, there doesn't seem to be a huge selection which is a bit sad.

Dave
Old 18-12-2006, 18:36   #17

Boat: Emu,15 metre ferro
Oh my God Dave!
and you have a problem with black beer??? Rum is simply evil!
But back to insurance - this 1% premium thingy - who do you use and what are the exclusions - 1% is not so bad
Audrey
Old 18-12-2006, 18:47   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudreyK
Oh my God Dave!
and you have a problem with black beer??? Rum is simply evil!
But back to insurance - this 1% premium thingy - who do you use and what are the exclusions - 1% is not so bad
Audrey
Only the comercial stuff is evil Audrey, no hangovers from my stuff and only $7-00 to make a 40 pounder.

Lumley's were one crowd I used, and Club Marine was another. I believe Multi's had cheaper premium's than Mono's as they now believe them to be safer, with less claim's, well from most owner's anyway

I did have exclusions from races that required a kite, so WAGS was OK, an I was covered with Lumley's up to 250 n/m offshore for the Aus coast.

I think the lack of ofshore coverage and they only covered up to Princess Charlotte Bay I think was why I scrapped Club Marine .

Dave
Old 18-12-2006, 19:36   #19

Boat: Emu,15 metre ferro
Thanks for the info dave
I was thinking i would get full insurance for the first couple of years while im still learning and 3rd party when I leave on my round Oz adventure but this may change at a latter stage when im closer to getting said boat
Audrey
Old 18-12-2006, 19:40   #20

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
I am currently using Nautilus Marine... they were a little bit cheaper than Club Marine for my boat... might be worth a quote, even if only for comparison.
Weyalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 05:04   #21
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Elusive
Now THAT is a priceless picture!!!
Here's the whole sequence over three days. Sable Island on our about the same time of the "Perfect Storm" October 1991.

NCDC: Satellite Events Art Gallery: Cyclones
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 08:36   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cat man do
After spitting 3 rigs, hitting a reef , bending a rudder after hitting a rock, having a lightening strike toast all electronic's and having a few collisions while racing, I feel pretty good about spending my 1% premium to the insurance guy's.

The newie will cost about $5000 per year,a fair slice out of the kitty, but I expect with the places I frequent it'll be 5 grand well spent.

I'll just send the boss back out to work, while I taste test the rum.

Dave
Ever wonder why insurance costs so much?? Lightning stick not withstanding.

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 08:56   #23
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Insurance only costs too much if you're on the wrong side of the desk.

Don't like the costs? Do it the original way, form a "mutual assurance" company where the members poll their funds to self-insure the group.

Or, get up and walk around to the other side of the desk. Lots of folks make good money running insurance companies, their complaint is that the rates are too LOW.<G>
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 09:20   #24
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cchris0411
rates for my Florida kept vessels has almost tripled. I am quit amazed to find that most companies will not allow policies for single hand cruisers, will not hold coverage for gulf crossings, will not cover in Central or South America, will not, will not... Oh and before I forget they will not touch older boats.
seems like if one can afford a "new boat" .. why doesn't one buy a "good old classic" for 25% of the price and just cruise without insurance? then you go anywhere you want and not worry about some insurance agent behind a desk telling you what you can do and where you can go. I enjoy sailing alone and can't see why that is an insurance issue .. also love older boats that the insurance companies dislike so much.
Old 19-12-2006, 09:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail
seems like if one can afford a "new boat" .. why doesn't one buy a "good old classic" for 25% of the price and just cruise without insurance? then you go anywhere you want and not worry about some insurance agent behind a desk telling you what you can do and where you can go. I enjoy sailing alone and can't see why that is an insurance issue .. also love older boats that the insurance companies dislike so much.

Just curious as to what you would do if your boat drags anchor, takes out a 50, 60, 70, 100K$ boat? Every boat has to go to a dock at one time in it's life, no matter how good you are, you will have an accident some time in your boating career. Accidents happen, I prefer to have an insurance company write the check than myself. It is not just your property you should look at but the lose of the other parties property, health etc. Once again it is my opinion that this is a matter of being responsible.
Princewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 10:33   #26
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
Quote:
Originally Posted by cchris0411
Just curious as to what you would do if your boat drags anchor, takes out a 50, 60, 70, 100K$ boat?
well now I guess the 100K boat should have insurance too right? but liability insurance is so cheap anybody can get it ... it's the comprehensive stuff that is the problem. in Florida we have a "no fault" law for automobiles ... this should probably be extended to boats also .
Old 19-12-2006, 11:25   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail
well now I guess the 100K boat should have insurance too right? but liability insurance is so cheap anybody can get it ... it's the comprehensive stuff that is the problem. in Florida we have a "no fault" law for automobiles ... this should probably be extended to boats also .
I actually think this is a good point, and one I will bring up with the Insurance Company as per if the "no fault" law applies. "In my opinion" it is still wrong to expect someone to pick up the tab on your potential accidents.
Princewig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2006, 18:06   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates
Ever wonder why insurance costs so much?? Lightning stick not withstanding.
My claims have been made over 20 years of sailing and over 30,000 miles mostly through reefy waters, and a lot of it singlehanded.

Actually Multihull insurance has stayed pretty cheap compared to monohull rates.

Might have something to do with the big carbon sticks and boats getting banged up in races.

I don't think it has much to do with cruising yachtie claims.

What do you think?

Dave
Old 19-12-2006, 21:44   #29

Boat: caliber 40lrc Soul Searcher
Quote:
I don't think it has much to do with cruising yachtie claims.

It doesnt here it has to do with hurricanes The carnage here after Ivan was astounding. there wer boats piled up like cord wood. If people did more to protect their property in these storms then the cost would be a lot less. and the other thing is out an out fraud . who would put a couple hundred thousand doller boat in open water on one anchor for a storm?
some one that wants a new one or out of the payment. funny when you see cars parked along the seawall right before the storm. wander what they were left there for. and everybody is always amazed that a storm can tear the roof off every other house in the nieghborhood. should of changed my name to The Wind that night too.
Old 27-12-2006, 04:27   #30

More carnage in the Syney to Hobart mono race.

OptusNet News

An $800,000 dismasting on one boat, injured crew, ABN Amro loses rig,Scandia having problems and unfortunately the Brisbane classic Koomooloo has sunk.

Live Sail Die

Thing's like this are bound to raise the insurance premiums.

Dave