Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-03-2012, 09:56   #31

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Boat Impounded in Mexico

Come on folks !! nothing underhanded is being done in Mexcio!! The law has been in effect for a long time!! and is being inforced!! I think it's time to get off this idea that We are Americans!! We can go where we want anytime we want !! Nice Idea but not true !!! Why pay Mordita, when a little of your time is all thats needed to get the Zarpe that ya need !! Costs nothing !! and shows respect for others laws ! That and a smile and a simple Thank you will get ya in and out with no problem !! Listen to your so cal friends on here they deal with this and there mexcian fishing lic before they leave !! whats your problem ??? Be a NON Ulgy American !! Just a thought !!
Old 31-03-2012, 10:33   #32

Boat: too many

Bob,

My story was a reminder not to be an ugly American. Look what it got that ex-cop.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 11:55   #33

I didn't read that the person gave the customs problems or ignored the rules on purpose from reading the information given. Most Americans are pretty pleasant and smile & comply with rules. You get cranky people from all places and the term 'Ugly American' is a bad generalization based on a fraction of the population.

I know, without this thread, we would have gone back to Mexico as usual- no zarpe. We went last summer to Ensenada for a month & has no issues so I would never have known the laws had changed. Usually, you hear from a fellow cruiser or bulletin. Of course, they know us where we check I'm & we use them to help (no mordida required). I hope it turns out well for our fellow cruiser.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 12:12   #34

Sailor g, Thankyou for your post, that was the reason I started the thread, so people could avoid what happened to s/v judy.The impounding of the boat seems draconian to me, and from what I have read they were nice, regular people, first time to Mexico. It's true we don't know all the facts..mostly cause we don't have mexico's side of the story (and may never have.)

I guess it's human nature to blame the boaters, assuming (without real evidence either way) that they "caused" their problem... That they were rude, or had guns or something (neither of which is indicated so far)....that way WE will be safe when WE go over there.

When I used to fly, pilots would spend HOURS talking about particular plane crashes and how it would NEVER happen to them, because they did this or they did that. Down deep, we all knew, as careful and meticulous as you are (and is important to be) sometimes bad things happen to good people, or "s&$@t happens)

Would I get a zarpe? Of course. Would I be polite? Be understandinding I'm in Their country? Of course. Would I use an agent or pay mordita? Depends. Would I research the hell out of it before I go? Of course.

But until i find out "the rest of the story" I Feel nothing but concern for my fellow cruiser. There for the grace of God go I.
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:07   #35

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

One of the take home lessons, is being an informed traveler regardless of where you're going or what your mode of travel will be. Anybody who knows any fellow cruisers who happen to be non-US citizens and sail in U.S. waters, you may want to ask them what procedures they have to follow when entering or leaving any U.S. port or harbor.

SVdestiny did a service by making others aware of this issue and makes good points in his/her latest post, above. Good luck fellow cruisers. Know before you go and enjoy your time cruising Mexico.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:18   #36
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when you leave usa for mexico, take your last fuel receipt. that is your usa to mexico zarpe. within mexico, use the papers you receive from the last port you were in. usually impoundment is due to having fishing equipment without a fishing license, or contraband on board when searched. must follow the regimen ordered by the country in which you are a guest visiting ...
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:29   #37

Zee maybe it works that way on the west coast altho the rules are the same all over Mexico BUT the fella in Isl M is a stickler for the rules !! No proper Zarpe ya are in trouble !! Its really easy to get if the Homelands folks say ya don't need it then insist !!! you will get it !! we get them down here in about 15 mins !! This may become a problem all over mexcio if they start to require it everywhere! just get one then you know your gonna be OK ! Its a simple thing !! or it seems that way to me ??
Old 01-04-2012, 10:41   #38
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

friend who stayed there a while sed the fuel bill from last port in usa worked well....but mebvbe there was a personnel change....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:55   #39

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
ex-cops with an attitude) was caught with a firearm. The fee and confiscation of said gun was spelled out to him. Had he only complied, he would have forfeited the gun and I believe at that time around $17.00 US. Instead, his boat was impounded and he was locked up. In the end he lost the gun, a couple thousand dollars, and spent 4 days locked up. .
He still got off light, another guy I know is still locked up for driving across the boarder with a few .45's shells in the trunk of his car.

The heads up on the Visa, and the Zarpe are well taken. And leave the guns, ammo, empty shell casings, etc... at home.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:26   #40

Boat: KH 49x, Custom

It nearly happened to us in the USA. We arrived in Palm Beach from Puerto Rico, with a cruising permit. We arrived at 10pm and checked in at 8am. We were threatened with impounding the boat and given the run around quite badly. Mostly because we hadn't called and gotten a clearance number from some 1800 number. He wouldn't check us in without that number, and wouldn't allow us to use a phone in the building to call either!
We watched our P's and Q's, pointed out that we had 24 hours to check in, showed the valid and recent cruising permit issued in Fahardo PR and still the guy wanted to give us a real hard time. We didn't even legally have to check into the country, since we'd never left, we only had to call with an update as to our anchorage.
When I pointed all this out to him, and mentioned that these were the rules as explained to me by US Customs in PR, he said, and I quote. " That's not how it's done in South Fla, things are different here".
So after several hours of being sent to and fro, we were finally let off the hook. And he wouldn't even give us clearance since "you already have a cruising permit".
What a joker.

You can get them anywhere, even when you know the rules. Customs officers, yes in the USA too, make their own rules. You have to be very careful not to bruise their egos, here, there, or anywhere. They're the gate-keepers, and we have to make them feel important.

That was the worst entry of our cruising careers, 15 years of cruising around the North atlantic, 20 entries into the USA and never a problem like this. You never know who you'll get, or what they'll be like.

Happy cruising.
Paul.
GRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:34   #41

Pretty sure these people had NO GUNS! NO AMMO! NO DRUGS! NO CONTRABAND! The mystery, to me and to them is WHY the boat was impounded

these folks left thinking alternate proof, such as fuel receipts or marina receipts(which were commonly used right up to the day) would do, but not THIS time. It is very weird. Hopefully more info will come to light.
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:37   #42
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart
It's rarely practiced but it's common knowledge around here (bordering Mexico) that you're supposed to have a zarpe if you want to clear into Mexico. If you don't bring one you're violating Mexican law.

It's not like it's a hidden unknown requirement.
Inconsistently enforced regulations are unfair. The "law" book is inches thick and operating the classic American rule which states that declaring ignorance does not equate innocence is also unfair.

If regulations are consistently enforced they will be consistently obeyed.

I love Mexico and I'm not saying it is a dictatorship or facist but one of the hallmarks of racism, err damn ipad meant facism, according to Trotsky is inconsistently and arbritarily enforced laws.

Oh maybe I'm saying it about my homeland Ohh umm I mean fatherland

Just sayin...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:43   #43
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag
when you leave usa for mexico, take your last fuel receipt. that is your usa to mexico zarpe. within mexico, use the papers you receive from the last port you were in. usually impoundment is due to having fishing equipment without a fishing license, or contraband on board when searched. must follow the regimen ordered by the country in which you are a guest visiting ...
Seriosuly mexico and mexicans are awesome. I spent my whole chilhood and young adulthood in baja...
This would be my exact experience as well wi a boat. I have never had any issues. But Mexicans generally have no time for belligerence and few cruisers want to admit they are in jail or lost their boat cause they lost their cool...

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 11:51   #44

It's Not a new thing in Isla M it's been brought up on this site quite a while back about the fella there being a stickler for Zarpes ! and Ive seen it on other cruiseing sites ! and let me tell ya the Gulf fisher men know about this problem !! took one local capt 9 months to get his boat back for not having a zarpe when he stipped for fuel !! without one !! It could be done anywhere in mexcio if they want to !! to me it's better to be safe then sittin in a cheap mexcian motel waiting for my boat to be relesed!! all for free piece of paper !! Sorry but its dumb to be sayin you can use Fuel and marina recites for a zarpe, when you know this fellas boats sitting in impound !! just my 2 cents
Old 01-04-2012, 11:59   #45

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by svquintana View Post

That was the worst entry of our cruising careers, 15 years of cruising around the North atlantic, 20 entries into the USA and never a problem like this. You never know who you'll get, or what they'll be like.

Happy cruising.
Paul.
I've flown into almost every country in the world, the worst experience I've had was returning to the USA.

Lack of accountability take away restraint.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote