Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-03-2012, 17:14   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Boat Impounded in Mexico

Gee guys this is another country ya know !! there laws are there bizz!! Ive seen on this site a poster saying that the Isl was a big pain to ck into without the proper paper work ! and to get clearence papers before leaving!! Here we have no problem getting these as we have an office of HLS right up the road and lots of boats fishing Mexcian waters, who need these aboard if they need to make a landing for any reason! heck I think even every kid over 12 in the bayou country knows about a zarpe !! I sometimes wonder how folks can be smart enough to be on the net, but can't ck out whats needed for travel to another country !! I know this sounds harsh but Heck it's part of cruising a BIG part paper work!! get real ya have to do what is needed before ya leave !! just my 2 cents
Old 30-03-2012, 17:26   #17

http://www.riodulcechisme.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=6705
Svdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 17:29   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svdestiny View Post
The bar room advice comment is unnessary and nasty, I found out about the need for a zarpe from others cruisers experiences. Many didn't know, and we're able to enter without the zarpe, evidently they are enforcing it more strongly now.
My apologies. The comment wasn't intended to be negative or directed at you (or anyone for that matter). I am sorry that I wrote in way that one could misinterpret it as nasty etc; that wasn't my intention.

Let me try again, any advice received from unofficial sources while informative, cannot not be replied on; especially when the poo hits the turbines. Even verbal advice from government officials doesn't count for much.

With respect, you are asking the wrong people - head of the Mexico Marina owners association and the US coast guard. Sure they can inform you but their viewpoint is simply their opinion. They don't represent the Mexican government.

Perhaps researching Mexican maritime entry requirements from their official government sources will give more reliable advice. At least it will give you some form of sustainable argument should you need it. Take hard copies of their official written requirements with you. Sometimes some public servants (quaint term isn't it) need a friendly and helpful reminder of their own laws .
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 17:57   #19

Boat: Ed Monk designed 34' Sloop Second Wind

I really wonder if this wasn't a play for La Mordida that got out of control.
Ironhorse74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 18:19   #20
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

This sounds like some pissed-off Mexican watercop who has decided that since the US has created a massive drug crime problem in Mexico, he's personally going to make life miserable for Americans. Tit for tat.

Any moron in the international border business knows very well that Americans are among the few nationals in the world who can leave their homeland any time they want, without any permission being needed. Ever.

Yes, that may later complicate re-entry, but our freedom to leave without permission from anyone is rare. I had a professor who literally snuck out of Czechoslovakia on foot in the dead of winter, because he was not allowed to leave. Anyplace in the old USSR was the same way. You want to leave? Too bad.

And the prof would have been arrested, or shot, if he'd been caught. That's also normal in much of the world.

Someone in Mexico is either pissed off, or pushing too hard for mordida.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 19:46   #21

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

I have entered Mexico from the US more times that I can count and never have had exit papers from the US. In fact, the couple of times I tried to get them from US Customs I was told that they don't issue them to US vessels. In addition, it has never been requested of me upon clearing into Mexico nor has it been requested by the Mexican Navy when they have stopped us for a 'courtesy inspection'.

On the other hand, at this point in our cruising, I would never leave a port without exit papers. I did that once (by mistake) and it was a huge hassle when we arrived in Western Samoa after leaving American Samoa.

From what I hear, Mexico is changing and some say it's different from when we left two years ago. We have looked forward to cruising there again someday but that, too, may change.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 19:59   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Mexico's country, Mexico's rules

http://www.noonsite.com/Countries/Me...ties#Clearance

And apparently there is a new visa requirement

http://www.noonsite.com/Members/sue/R2012-01-17-4

Researching this stuff is pretty easy. It is as essential as any other part of trip planning
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 20:04   #23

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif
Researching this stuff is pretty easy. It is as essential as any other part of trip planning
Good point! Not many people would consider jumping on a flight to another continent without checking the Visa (entry requirements) situation first...
Old 30-03-2012, 20:47   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier

Good point! Not many people would consider jumping on a flight to another continent without checking the Visa (entry requirements) situation first...
Actually many are clueless. That's why the carrier (airline) is responsible for the passengers and why they are supposed to check your passport and visa. If the carrier lands someone who is ineligible to clear immigration they can be fined and must take the person out of the country.

The same holds true for shipmasters, including cruisers.

I find the indignant attitude of some cultures about these 3rd world countries not letting us in and making us follow their rules amusing at times.

It is also ironic the places I least like to travel are often the hardest to get into - India for example. But I would never ignore their rules. Nothing more stubborn on earth than an Indian bureaucrat.

One of the ancient reasons for the port clearance was the crew manifest. The manifest was certified. At the other end manifest was checked and the captain had to explain the losses. Illness, slaves dying, walking the plank, put ashore in tahiti etc.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2012, 21:38   #25

Gees has anyone ever been to another country via a land based border crossing. It is your job to understand and know the rules and regulations if you are visiting a foreign land. I crossed 16 borders last year with out any trouble via land...... do you know why? Because I had all my I's dotted and my T's crossed for each and every crossing. And with the interente this can't be any easier. I traveled all over Central America in the 80's what a pain in the ass with no up to date info via the internet. If you don't like the rules don't go there.
dofthesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 00:00   #26

Boat: CT 56
Send a message via Skype™ to undercutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Any moron in the international border business knows very well that Americans are among the few nationals in the world who can leave their homeland any time they want, without any permission being needed. Ever.
Canada too.
undercutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 00:21   #27

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

The zarpe requirement for entering Mexico is not new. It has been in effect for years. Enforcement of this requirement varies by port in Mexico. I remember reading 6 years ago about people in US having to obtain a special form stating they were clearing out of the USA going direct from California to Mexico. This form was not available from the usual Customs offices but was obtained at the State Dept offices. I do not recall the number of the form. As we all know, US citizens do not clear out of the US; we just go. But if you are going to Mexico you will need something official stating you have legally departed from the USA. Or stop somewhere else first and clear out of than country en route to Mexico.

According to the Noonsite article, this is now form CBP 1300. Friends arrived in Isla Mujeres in February and are in Cancun. I will ask them about their clearance into Mexico.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 08:47   #28

Boat: Amel SM 53 - BeBe

I asked friends who are in Mexico now after having sailed direct from Florida. They also arrived in Isla Mujeres without a zarpe (CBP form 1300). Their solution was to simply have the dock master at the marina handle their inbound clearance....with a nice tip to the dock master. They also gave the dock master $$ for tips to each official that would be involved to handle their inbound clearance. The dock master translated into Spanish their previous marina receipt from Florida showing that by time limits of sailing they had come directly from Key West. Cleared in without a problem. Money and pleasant attitude solves a lot of potential problems in Mexico.

Judy
svBeBe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:06   #29

I read that on Noonsite. My feeling was there was perhaps something else going on. Something unsaid. We have only heard one side of the story.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2012, 09:43   #30

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by svBeBe View Post
I asked friends who are in Mexico now after having sailed direct from Florida. They also arrived in Isla Mujeres without a zarpe (CBP form 1300). Their solution was to simply have the dock master at the marina handle their inbound clearance....with a nice tip to the dock master. They also gave the dock master $$ for tips to each official that would be involved to handle their inbound clearance. The dock master translated into Spanish their previous marina receipt from Florida showing that by time limits of sailing they had come directly from Key West. Cleared in without a problem. Money and pleasant attitude solves a lot of potential problems in Mexico.

Judy
That is what I've always found too. Pleasant attitude in Mexico goes a long way. Last time I was down there a fellow cruiser (not a friend, just an acquaintance, as it is hard for me to befriend ex-cops with an attitude) was caught with a firearm. The fee and confiscation of said gun was spelled out to him. He chose the method that he would always use Stateside, the tried and true "professional courtesy" for a fellow law enforcement officer. This arrogant cruiser did not even consider all the horror stories among Mexican citizens relating to their dealings with US police. When turned down for the request of professional courtesy, this ego driven retired cop demanded to speak to the watch commander. The officers complied and he found himself arrested and tossed in the slammer. Had he only complied, he would have forfeited the gun and I believe at that time around $17.00 US. Instead, his boat was impounded and he was locked up. In the end he lost the gun, a couple thousand dollars, and spent 4 days locked up. Moral of the story, if your caught screwing up, do as requested with a good attitude and don't let things escalate due to your arrogance. The above story was told to me first hand by the retired cop, and he still believed he was wronged by the local police in the way he tells his story. Later that night on my boat (without the ex-cop) we all were in agreement that it was very funny that he thought "professional courtesy" was going to fly the way it always does for him back in the States.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote