Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2012, 06:07   #286
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Boat Held Hostage By Marine Transport Company

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, gbr-aligator.

GordMay is offline   Reply
Old 21-10-2012, 07:33   #287

BTW, law enforcement was made of aware of Steadley's Canada trip. How they used the info is unknown.
Dansante85 is offline   Reply
Old 21-10-2012, 08:43   #288

Send a message via Yahoo to tspeed

It is the OP's post that has me confused, there has to be some kind of paperwork that he should be able to follow up on. I have been in that industry all my life and that is not how it works if he is a legit transporter. If I did what the OP has stated he did, I would of went to jail, it illegal to sit on someone property in this manor. As for what DOT would do in your case, DOT is a law enforcement officer just like any local cop or state cop or federal cop. They just specialize in transportation laws, smuggling and tracking of trucks. If you had filed with them, they would of shut him down, done a investigation, went to his home base, and audited everything he has done over the last 7 years. Every vehicle, trailer or other transport equipment he uses must be registered and inspected by them, think of a angry FBI agent and a IRS agent in a really bad mood that has a target pointed at you and that is what you get with a DOT officer. A DOT walking in a trucking companies head quarters to do a investigation is a trucking company nightmare. I had one complaint over a trailer issue and DOT shows up, shuts down the whole company for 3 weeks while they did their thing. In the case of your mast, I am willing to bet he under bid the job with the mindset that he would have other items going that direction to offset the cost and that didnt happen. That happens with small fly by night companies, they try to underbid a larger company and get themself in a hole and then have to zig-zag with the loads they can get so they dont lose what lil profit they get. Not sure of where your mast was shipped from but Sparcraft I know of is in NC. If he picked up there and dropped with you in Tx, he is looking at around 200 to 250 gallons of fuel, at current prices that around $800 to $1,000 just in fuel. For me to bid it, it would of been $1,500 just to make a small profit. he probably under bid thinking he would make it up by getting other loads along the way. Sadly, if the shipper didnt put a date of when the latest drop can be made for your mast on the BOL, He can legally take other loads and put your mast off until he gets something that goes your way, he just wont be paid for it until it is in your hands. The right paperwork and dates is so important. You really need to report it to DOT so they can pull his transport license and to avoid anymore ppl being victims.
tspeed is offline   Reply
Old 21-10-2012, 09:20   #289

TSpeed: Are you talking US DOT or South Carolina DOT? I will call them first thing Monday morning. If you can grease the wheels so to speak and give me a phone number it would be appreciated. BTW, Steadley was paid in full up front $1750 to pick up my mast at SparCraft in NC on Sept 21 for delivery to Seabrook, TX on the afternnon of Sept 22. Worse, Creole-Belle's boat was picked up on Aug 29 for delivery to San Francisco on Sept 4. Never made it. Sat in Charleston until Sept 21. It is my hunch that my mast is sitting on the same trailer that Creole's boat is, and Steadley refuses to tell us where it is. Yes, I agree, he should probably be in jail for what he has done yet he is roaming the country with impunity. I doubt there would be anyone at his business address for the DOT to speak with. I do appreciate your help.
Old 21-10-2012, 15:01   #290

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Creole, has not been back to this thread to give any updates, he has not told us who moved his boat. Steadly? I don't think anyone here know's for sure who it was. It might be someone else. Creole also said in his last post that the trucker who picked up his boat, transported it someplace that removed it from the original trailer to another trailer, and he was under the impression the boat may have never left Florida. So until Creole gets back to us with some details we are just shouting in the dark.
Rocketman is offline   Reply
Old 21-10-2012, 17:09   #291

I am now in touch with Creole-Belle. If he wishes to reveal more that is up to him, I can neither confirm nor deny that Dan Steadley of Big Dog Marine has his boat. However, Steadley definitely does have my mast and now claims thru a third party that he left it in Dallas. He says his previous promise to deliver my mast to Seabrook this coming Tuesday is now off because I will not sign a hold harmless agreement with him (for what?) and also recompense him for additional freight charges he just today informed me of - despite having my mast since September 21st. Remember, he was paid in full prior to picking up the load. Now he is threatening litigation against me. It will be interesting to see what loss he thinks he has incurred by me in this matter. I will keep you interested shipmates posted on how this plays out.
Old 21-10-2012, 17:33   #292
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dansante85 View Post
I am now in touch with Creole-Belle. If he wishes to reveal more that is up to him, I can neither confirm nor deny that Dan Steadley of Big Dog Marine has his boat. However, Steadley definitely does have my mast and now claims thru a third party that he left it in Dallas. He says his previous promise to deliver my mast to Seabrook this coming Tuesday is now off because I will not sign a hold harmless agreement with him (for what?) and also recompense him for additional freight charges he just today informed me of - despite having my mast since September 21st. Remember, he was paid in full prior to picking up the load. Now he is threatening litigation against me. It will be interesting to see what loss he thinks he has incurred by me in this matter. I will keep you interested shipmates posted on how this plays out.

This guy sounds like a real bottom-feeder. I would consider getting someone to pretend to be a prospective client that sounds like a real sucker if I was trying to find him.
minaret is offline   Reply
Old 21-10-2012, 17:40   #293

BTW, he has informed a third party that he has been reading posts on here and Sailing Anarchy and he doesn't appreciate some of the things you guys are saying about him. Finding him is just a matter of escalating to the next level which I am frankly trying to avoid. You may be interested that this mast is for a steel boat and I attend the steel boat society meeting as often as I can each year in Anacortes. Gorgeous place. Course I live in Texas so my perspective may be skewed.
Old 21-10-2012, 17:43   #294
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
BTW, he has informed a third party that he has been reading posts on here and Sailing Anarchy and he doesn't appreciate some of the things you guys are saying about him. Finding him is just a matter of escalating to the next level which I am frankly trying to avoid. You may be interested that this mast is for a steel boat and I attend the steel boat society meeting as often as I can each year in Anacortes. Gorgeous place. Course I live in Texas so my perspective may be skewed.

I'm sure he is. That's why I said what I did. Think about it.
minaret is offline   Reply
Old 21-10-2012, 18:18   #295

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Remember, he was paid in full prior to picking up the load.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmm... another lesson learned here
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply
Old 21-10-2012, 18:39   #296

Boat: Sabre 42
Well, there wouldn't be any reason for him to come to these forums unless he knew people were talking about him specifically... which incriminates him indirectly. Also, if he's even slightly worried about his reputation, and if he had a valid side to the story he would post on here and defend himself professionally and properly. The fact that he knows and still doesn't also incriminates himself.

Sounds to me like his career is going to be over soon anyway.

And if he stole a boat, and a mast, who cares what he "doesn't really appreciate".
Old 21-10-2012, 19:17   #297

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspeed View Post
I have been in that industry all my life and that is not how it works if he is a legit transporter. If I did what the OP has stated he did, I would of went to jail, it illegal to sit on someone property in this manor.
Therein is the problem and one part of the remedy?

If the transporter is reading these posts he might take a reality check and do his best to minimise his clients damages and inconvenience before the authorities become involved?
Old 22-10-2012, 07:17   #298

TSpeed, sounds like this is your area of expertise in dealing with truckers. I could sure use some help in who to call at the DOT. Thanks.
Old 22-10-2012, 08:40   #299
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticGringo View Post
Well, there wouldn't be any reason for him to come to these forums unless he knew people were talking about him specifically... which incriminates him indirectly. Also, if he's even slightly worried about his reputation, and if he had a valid side to the story he would post on here and defend himself professionally and properly. The fact that he knows and still doesn't also incriminates himself.

Sounds to me like his career is going to be over soon anyway.

And if he stole a boat, and a mast, who cares what he "doesn't really appreciate".
He did not steal a boat or a mast ,it was given to him to haul and now problems have arisen...as sad as it is ,if it were me I would pay the extortion, (I mean payment) and proceed to serve him with paper...then after I get my boat I would smoke it over and come to the under standing that I dont want to throw good money after bad and would consider it all as a hard won education! Does anyone really think this person would incrimante himself over a few thousand dollars and risk going to jail?I think this guy knows what he can do and not do and he dosent seem to be very concerned...the longer that boat sits in an impound lot the more money this fellow will get! Unless he converts the boat and mast without the proper papers from a civil court,he can hold that boat until the cows come home and charge a max. of 20.00 a day for storage!...bad situation for the fellows that hired him,this guy now has the money and the boat and mast,wish I could get all my money before I do a job!best of luck getting the stuff back ...
tropicalescape is offline   Reply
Old 22-10-2012, 09:24   #300

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
He did not steal a boat or a mast ,it was given to him to haul and now problems have arisen...as sad as it is ,if it were me I would pay the extortion, (I mean payment) and proceed to serve him with paper...then after I get my boat I would smoke it over and come to the under standing that I dont want to throw good money after bad and would consider it all as a hard won education! Does anyone really think this person would incrimante himself over a few thousand dollars and risk going to jail?I think this guy knows what he can do and not do and he dosent seem to be very concerned...the longer that boat sits in an impound lot the more money this fellow will get! Unless he converts the boat and mast without the proper papers from a civil court,he can hold that boat until the cows come home and charge a max. of 20.00 a day for storage!...bad situation for the fellows that hired him,this guy now has the money and the boat and mast,wish I could get all my money before I do a job!best of luck getting the stuff back ...
What bit of clairvoyance tells you that the boat and mast are not stolen? This is not a simple payment dispute where a mechanic refuses to turn over the keys and keeps the car locked up on his back lot until the bill is paid or when a boat yard refuses to splash a boat until the bill is paid. In these examples the owner knows where the item is being stored and can determine its condition if perhaps only from afar. In the cases at hand the location of the items is being hidden from the owners. How are they to know the boat and mast have not been sent to the nautical equivalent of a chop shop? The answer is that they have no way of knowing. What evidence do you have that even if they pay the money that they will get their property back. The answer is that you don't have any evidence that this would be the case. He's already got their money and won't give them their property and risking jail. Why would he not just keep asking for more money and still not give the property back? I wouldn't give him another dime unless the items show up at their destination and then only what I had originally agreed. Since the contracts had no performance clause, I would write off the delay as a lesson learned. In the meantime I would use every means at my disposal to determine the location of my property and get all the help I can from all the law enforcement agencies that have jurisdiction.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
marine