Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2012, 17:51   #151

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'
Re: Boat Held Hostage By Marine Transport Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl-T705 View Post
A 70 year old couple with a nice boat, My hats off to you both. You need professional help here. Think about this for a second, Who has tire, wheel bearing problems with a vehicle on 6 wheels all at the same time????
I'm so sorry for both of you, I'm leaving N. Carolina tonight for Houston TX, I'll keep an eye out for your boat along the route.
I really don't think this man set out to intently rip you off, it's just that he is broke and desperate for help and you are his only resource at this point.
Most truckers are professionals, but like any industry, it has it's losers and scammers.
Also for the ignorant person who posted he bought lunch for two truckers at a "redneck truckers bar" what exactly is that supposed to mean?? Is that how you attempt to boost your image by slamming an entire industry??
FWIW truckers here in Aust are on the whole good blokes working hard to earn a living and they too dont like the cowboy operators that do exist. Perhaps if you could get the word out among the trucking population you may find the boats location. Just a thought.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply
Old 05-10-2012, 18:40   #152
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
A 70 year old couple with a nice boat, My hats off to you both. You need professional help here. Think about this for a second, Who has tire, wheel bearing problems with a vehicle on 6 wheels all at the same time????
I'm so sorry for both of you, I'm leaving N. Carolina tonight for Houston TX, I'll keep an eye out for your boat along the route.
I really don't think this man set out to intently rip you off, it's just that he is broke and desperate for help and you are his only resource at this point.
Most truckers are professionals, but like any industry, it has it's losers and scammers.
Also for the ignorant person who posted he bought lunch for two truckers at a "redneck truckers bar" what exactly is that supposed to mean?? Is that how you attempt to boost your image by slamming an entire industry??
"is that how you attempt to boost your image by slamming an entire industry??"... or rednecks for that matter!! (Rednecks are what farmers get from working all day in the sun, hince the term ,you dont like farmers ,aka, rednecks you dont get to eat...)lol
tropicalescape is offline   Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 08:26   #153

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
"is that how you attempt to boost your image by slamming an entire industry??"... or rednecks for that matter!! (Rednecks are what farmers get from working all day in the sun, hince the term ,you dont like farmers ,aka, rednecks you dont get to eat...)lol
Major thread drift, let alone interpretation.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 08:46   #154

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

I thought that 'rednecks' is a term reserved for those who work hard all day in the hot sun and scrubbed their necks red to clean up so they look and smell decent when they go in to town on the weekend. Perhaps that is just a figment of my recollections as a youngster when my Ma did that to me before I was allowed to go out on the weekend. I learned something new on this thread... sorry for the continuation of the thread drift. Hope these folks get their problems sorted soon. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply
Old 06-10-2012, 11:39   #155
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Major thread drift, let alone interpretation.
Right...?
Old 06-10-2012, 20:34   #156

THANKS AGAIN EVERYONE. WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW IT TURNS OUT. KEEP AN EYE OUT FOR THE BOAT.
CREOLE-BELLE is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 03:24   #157

Following is what my trucker friend said. His credentials are impressive and include being the chief driver trainer and accident investigator for two national trucking firms.

It is and always has been the driver's responsibility to ensure proper loading, including both securement, total weight and weight distribution (49 CFR 391.13(a) and 392.9). If the bill of lading accurately represents the weight of the boat, then the driver should not have departed on the trip at all... And I think the lawyer should have a pretty easy time with this case!

Regardless of the contract, holding property in lieu of completing the delivery is illegal.
Richard5 is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 06:54   #158

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
I thought that 'rednecks' is a term reserved for those who work hard all day in the hot sun and scrubbed their necks red to clean up so they look and smell decent when they go in to town on the weekend. Perhaps that is just a figment of my recollections as a youngster when my Ma did that to me before I was allowed to go out on the weekend. I learned something new on this thread... sorry for the continuation of the thread drift. Hope these folks get their problems sorted soon. Capt Phil
The term "Red Neck" originated as a (somewhat) derisive reference to field hands/farm workers who often spent the day in the sun, bent over hoeing, weeding, etc, row crops hence, the backs of their necks would sunburn (turning red). The term was derisive as it was assumed that usually the least intellectually demanding work that could be handled by the ignorant/uneducated etc. Hence if one was (had) a Red Neck he/she was assumed to be also. In college I worked on a ranch for awhile during summer breaks and so had a red neck--and aching back (a lot of the time). The few (then) Mexican camposinos taught me to wear a bandana to protect my neck, and pull up over my nose to prevent inhaling dust, when working in the hay fields.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 08:13   #159
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
The term "Red Neck" originated as a (somewhat) derisive reference to field hands/farm workers who often spent the day in the sun, bent over hoeing, weeding, etc, row crops hence, the backs of their necks would sunburn (turning red). The term was derisive as it was assumed that usually the least intellectually demanding work that could be handled by the ignorant/uneducated etc. Hence if one was (had) a Red Neck he/she was assumed to be also. In college I worked on a ranch for awhile during summer breaks and so had a red neck--and aching back (a lot of the time). The few (then) Mexican camposinos taught me to wear a bandana to protect my neck, and pull up over my nose to prevent inhaling dust, when working in the hay fields.
Ha ha ha ..I told you so!....bunch of rednecks!..lol
Old 08-10-2012, 08:23   #160

Boat: Electra/Ariel/Triton

Richard, no offense here, but IF that is what your friend actually said, he is confused as well. Perhaps you misunderstood what he told you, or you misrepresented what he said. To someone in the industry, what your conveying doesn't make sense.SORRY!!
Carl-T705 is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 09:46   #161

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Richard, no offense here, but IF that is what your friend actually said, he is confused as well. Perhaps you misunderstood what he told you, or you misrepresented what he said. To someone in the industry, what your conveying doesn't make sense.SORRY!!
Carl, could you explain what you do in the industry and what does not make sense in Richard's post. I have helped out my brother who owns six semi tractors and a varying number of trailers, not to mention two tow trucks capable of towing a tractor/trailer.

There is what I will call theory and how the industry actually works. But a good driver would know the weight of the load. If he was driving for my brother he would let my brother know and ask for advice on how to proceed. This is not to say drivers do not continue with over weight loads, just that they do so knowingly.

As I posted earlier the normal procedure when there is a break down is for another vehicle to pick up the load and continue on. This is why drivers try to stay on top of the load weight and the condition of the tractor/trailer. If it breaks down they lose time and money. If a driver has too many breakdowns they can have a problem getting jobs.

This is not to say trucks do not break down all the time, as anyone who drives on interstate can easily confirm. So the big question is why this guy did not simply call a booking service and get someone to come out and continue on with the boat. Saying the answer is the trucker has money problems ignores the fact that not doing that may only make things worse.

I would bet a nickle the end result is the OP gets a lawyer who contacts the trucker's insurance company and bonding agent.
tomfl is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 09:54   #162

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Sooo.... all sailors are Rednecks I guess!

Cheechako is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04   #163
Marine Service Provider

I have gone on line to look for local" boat hauling" businesses and I found 3 guys that do this with pickup trucks and they were all a lot cheaper than the big companys that have tractors..If this is the type business the owner hired he is dealing with a man and a truck and not a company proper and will have a tough row to hoe! I dont think they stop at weigh stations do they,I saw big duely trucks pulling what I thought would have been commercial loads by pass the weigh stations...
Old 08-10-2012, 10:13   #164

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

Wether or not the guy stops at wieght stations, is up to the guy hauling the boat. They probably should stop, but that doesn't mean they will. If this is a small time operation, meaning a guy with a truck, and a trailer, no employee's. Then he might be able to get by 90% of the time without stopping at wieght stations. If he were to get pulled over by police he could probably claim ignorance to the local laws and claim he was just hauling his own boat this one time. The police would then normally overlook a minor infraction.
Rocketman is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 10:16   #165

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Thanks for clearing up my misconception of the term 'redneck', folks... cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
marine