Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 08:08   #46
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Boat Held Hostage By Marine Transport Company

[QUOTE=Rhapsody-NS27;1050362]reading this whole thread, it makes me glad that I bought a boat (and truck) that I could tow myself. It is good for future reference to watch out in the future.
Best of luck to solving this.[/QUOTE

Ditto ...On why I love my little Cape Dory 25D and it's goose neck trailer...

At times I've often thought that maybe I'm a little too concerned with being self sufficient, then I read a horror story like this and that feeling goes away real quickly...

NorSea27 is a very sweet boat. The only boat I'd trade my 25D for..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 08:43   #47

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

It could simply be the OP is busy trying to deal with the situation and hasn't had a chance to check in yet. It hasn't even been 24 hours since the first post.

Old 03-10-2012, 08:45   #48

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

I got my Gemini trucked 700 miles from Port Stephens NSW to Yaringa, Vic, with no trouble at all,
Very professional,

The first trucking mob, I cancelled, they were a bit on the Suss side,
Old 03-10-2012, 08:49   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
It could simply be the OP is busy trying to deal with the situation and hasn't had a chance to check in yet. It hasn't even been 24 hours since the first post.
Quite possible. First post was after lunch yesterday. OPs profile shows he has not been online since about 20 mins after the original post. Bet he will be back online later today.

We can't all spend the whole day hanging out on CF. Some of us have a job and some of those with jobs actually have to work occasionally, or at least when the boss is watching.
Old 03-10-2012, 08:57   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

"JOB" Did you know that Henery Ford came up with this acronym, he said "If I give my employees a "JOB" they will be loyal and stay with us forever" then asked what "JOB" ment he told them "Just Over Broke"
Old 03-10-2012, 08:58   #51

50 post and no responce from the OP DEAD TOPIC
Old 03-10-2012, 10:21   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boy.... sounds like a painful and difficult experience. What a bummer. Something smells fishy to me. A boat transport company claiming the trailer was damaged because the boat wasnt to spec...? Surely they haul bigger boats than that all the time!
I wonder if the owner's insured for transport? If so, file a claim as lost in transit... They have some good investigators... and the trucker wont be very popular next time he needs to insure a load either!

Cheechako is online now   Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 11:04   #53

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

I see...So he knew the weight of the boat and moved it anyway. Probably found out his trans was not covered under warrenty and is trying to get you to pay for it. Also...you telling me that he used a trailer maxed out for this job? I doubt it.
Best thing to do is call dispatch if he's not a one man show and get a lawyer.
I have used UShipit a few times with mixed results. Two were one man shows and were terrible. One showed up late causing the yard I was moving it too get really pissed at me as well as having to pay double for the crane since it had to be crane on a Saturday instead of a Friday. The other guy did not properly secure my roller furling and bent a foil and some other hardware. He ran me around for months trying to get the name of his Insurance carrier. By the time I filed a claim, Lloyds of London said it was too late.
When I used a shipping company that had a few trucks and drivers, I fared pretty well.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 11:59   #54

Boat: Charter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
50 post and no response from the OP DEAD TOPIC
OP was 23 hours ago! Shouldn't a sailing community understand that not everyone lives in today's fast lane?
Old 03-10-2012, 12:20   #55

Boat: S2-9.2 CC & IP40

When we had one of our boats transported I used a CC to pay the upfront charges. I think if you don't get what you ordered you can call the CC company and have the transaction reversed. Also it helps to get a copy of the bond or insurance that the transporter is using.....so you have proof of a policy as well as a place to claim if there are damages or in this case....the item is not delivered.
Old 03-10-2012, 12:29   #56

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

The times I have shipped a boat, I always had a late delivery charge which ramped up over time After 10 days late I could hit $200 a day so nobody would hold the boat for a month or they would owe me money on delivery, I could waive few days due to a breakdown at my discretion. I know the boat weight to 600-700lbs and would see the boat weight on lift out so there would be no argument on that front.
Old 03-10-2012, 14:06   #57

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35. and 14ft.Whitehall pulling skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebWench View Post
When we had one of our boats transported I used a CC to pay the upfront charges. I think if you don't get what you ordered you can call the CC company and have the transaction reversed. Also it helps to get a copy of the bond or insurance that the transporter is using.....so you have proof of a policy as well as a place to claim if there are damages or in this case....the item is not delivered.
Having experienced what I did, I totally agree. A CC would have been the way to go. and when you say "Also it helps to get a copy of the bond or insurance that the transporter is using", I would change the word help to imperative!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"

http://wwwjolielle.blogspot.com/
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply
Old 03-10-2012, 14:09   #58

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Hopefully the OP will chime in soon. If nothing else, this is a good thread for anyone else who's considering transporting a boat in the future. Lots to think about!
Old 03-10-2012, 20:33   #59

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREOLE-BELLE View Post
I will not use the name of the boat transport company.

In August, I began calling marine transport companies requesting bids to move my 34 foot full keel sailboat from the east coast to the west coast. I provided each with a picture and specifications on the boat, listing the weight as 19,300 pounds. The Sailboatdata website listed her weight as 18,000 pounds. A sister ship owner stated on a cruise news forum that “She weight 19,500 pounds with a summer’s stores onboard and full tanks”.

Many bids came in around $10,000 although there were several in the $6900 to $7500 range. I chose the $7500 bid because the mover was included in a list of recommend movers on a large west coast boatyard website.

Contract particulars: All inclusive, 50% up front, 50% upon delivery, anticipated transport time 5 days, delivery date September 4th.

There were delays in getting started, one being the mover had to take the boat to a travel lift 250 miles from the pick up point to have boat repositioned on the trailer.

Finally the boat was moving. Getting text messages. "No problems" "Progressing nicely" "Will shut down in El Paso for the weekend. Get back on the road on Monday". Received a call Monday morning that during a routine oil change, they found a crack in the transmission housing and a new transmission needed to be installed. **** happens. Long delay. I wished him well on the repair. It was completely covered by warranty, which surprised me since the truck is in commercial use.

The day before the truck was picked up from the dealer service center in El Paso I receive an email stating that I had misrepresented the weight of the boat and it was eating his trailer alive. I now owe him compensation for 6 new tires, 6 new rims, complete bearing replacement on all wheels, and motel costs at $115 per night. The email stated that the travel lift he used to reset the boat had a calibrated load cell indicating the boat to weighed 30% more than I had stated. As I mentioned before, this was 250 miles into the trip.

If true, the mover began a 3000 mile trip across the country knowing the indicated load cell weight and the capacity of his rig. Therefore, my viewpoint is I am not responsible for his trailer failures, if there were failures. I received only glowing reports from the road.

Here's the kicker. He will not tell me where the boat is located. I requested this by email 3 times. He will only say it is in a secure yard with video cameras.

He will not "move the boat one more mile closer to San Franciso" until I agree to pay him $3875 in repairs plus the $3750 second half payment. As I view it, my boat is being held for ransom.

Here's where I need help. How do I find my boat? Since this is interstate commerce, should I contact the FBI? I know that trucking is regulated and licensed. Should I contact some enforcement in this area? Is this cause to lose your right to transport? State Highway Patrols? The transporter's Insurance Company? Is this a felony?

Before I start paying lawyers the big bucks, thought I would put the question to this wonderful forum.

Thanks...Bob

At some point try to get the make and model of his trailer. With that you can get hold of the manufacturer and find out what weight it is rated to carry. If it is rated to carry whatever your boat actually weighs, then any ongoing damage can be attributed to poor maintenance of the trailer on his part rather than your misrepresenting the weight of the boat.
Old 04-10-2012, 00:39   #60

A couple of things may be happening here.
The load would have to be well over 40,000lbs to be overweight. In the US, a standard 5 axle truck can gross 80,000, that includes the tractor, trailer, fuel, the driver, equipment and the load itself.
My 48ft stepdeck rig's tare (unladen) weight is 33780lbs, with full fuel and all the crap I carry including 2 sets of snow chains (8 chains). That means I can easily load over 46,000 lbs.
Weight should not be an issue. If the driver did his job, he would know his trailer, and how to load it. It should have been weighed at the closest public scale if there was a question about weight.

I surmise that the load was indeed an over-size, due to the width which legally must be 102" or less. So, permits are necessary for this haul. Under 10ft, there is no restrictions about having pilot cars. 12ft usually will require one. The states each have some weird restrictions, such as NM not allowing movement over the weekend. Night movement is usually not allowed unless under a special permit.
Moving an oversize is a specialized skill, and requires the driver to set his permits for each state to allow for their bizarre time and date limitations. Sometimes an O/S will take twice as long to arrive due to the states permitting idiosyncrasies. They can be a real pain in the aaarrgh.

I can understand the tranny going out, and the delay there. It will probably mean a new set of permits, which the trucking company should pay for. Moving the cargo is on them as well, because it should have been loaded correctly at the shipper, and weighed ASAP if there was any question of weight. If it needed moved, it should have been done at the shipping location, not 250 miles away. BTW- many of us have onboard scales that will tell within a couple of hundred pounds the weight on each axle.

Possibly this load was 'brokered out'. That means some guy in his fuzzy bunny slippers picked the load up off an internet load board where the original agent posted it. Agents do this because they can't cover the load with one of their own trucks, so they list the load on a public board, or' broker it out'. That's where Mr. Fuzzy Slippers picks it up, whacks an additional 10% off the rate, and gets a cut-rate truck to haul it.
The customer is in no way responsible for tires, rims, bearings, transmission repair, nothing. He's being scammed. Royally.
He should indeed contact the nearest bulldog bottom-feeding attorney, and get with it. He also is dealing with interstate commerce here, so he may even want to contact the Federales, by which I mean the Feebs (FBI). The ICC is no more, but the Dept of Transportation is alive and well. However, the DOT is a regulatory agency, and may or may not be helpful. Cargo theft is a big thing, and this smells badly of it. They may even have wrecked his boat, and are trying to weasel out on it.
He should also contact his boat insurance company to keep them in the loop. They can be his best friend here.

Bottom line: he's the customer. He's not responsible for their repairs. He may even be able to charge them for delay. If I miss an appointment with a crane unload, it can cost me $750 an hour, depending on the crane operator.

This is why the cheaper is not necessarily better rule is there. To haul MY boat ( if I had one) I would contract the company with the best safety record (SAFER WEB ), get some references, and be sure they do not broker the load out. Boat haulers are a specialized group. Not everyone can do it. It requires a specialized trailer, and virtually every load is a permit load, so the driver needs to know his stuff.

I hope this turns out well for the OP....
Randy
n my venerable Corgi companion, Bridget

Tags
marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: