Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 18:20   #16

Boat: 38' French Cat
I think you guys are ignoring the obvious. The op states 1 day b4 getting truck back from dealer now suddenly his trailer needs work amd has issues? Im calling BS and the shipper was refused warranty on his tranny, wants Op to cover his expenses or lost time. This has to be illegal, when we jhad a 31ft mono shipped from Md to Fl the shipper even researched the boat himself to find rough weights and indeed there are always weigh station records and receipts. Not to mention a E load tire can handle amaxof 3300lbs per tire so times 6 = 19800lbs total load capacity. His trailer has to 2000 lbs so he knowingly startet journey overloadi g his trailers ability,the dot at the weigh strations should have caught this in a minute.

Old 02-10-2012, 18:50   #17

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825
Re: Boat Held Hostage By Marine Transport Company

You beat me to it,

If your boat was too heavy for his truck, stiff cheddar for him, He should have put it on a truck suitable for the load,

You cant take an over weight load on any truck,

Sounds like he was driving a defective truck or over loaded, Thats his problem, not yours,

Ask him for the paper work for the weights of the boat and truck,

I dont know who does it in America, But the roads authority here will put it on road side scales to check the weight, if its over, the trucky is in deep **** and will have to pay huge fines for it,

It sounds like he is running a scam,

Old 02-10-2012, 19:04   #18

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

To late now, but makes me think I will leave a SPOT running hidden on the boat somewhere if I ever get it shipped.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply
Old 02-10-2012, 19:06   #19

Boat: 1979 Union 36'

Truck drivers don’t shut down for the weekend and get back on the road on Monday. It sounds like his truck, and your boat, are at the truck service center and he doesn’t have the money to pay for his repairs. It doesn’t matter what the repairs are to you because you aren’t responsible for any of them. Call truck service centers in El Paso and ask them if there is a yacht sitting outside.

He admitted he loaded it improperly, had to drive 250 miles with it improperly loaded to someone else that could load it again, drove across country overloaded and he wants money for damages. I would like to see him explain that to a judge.
Old 02-10-2012, 19:06   #20
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.

He knew the weight when he loaded the boat: If too much for his trailer, his problem and his responsibility.

Tell him just that in the next email and demand documenation on damaged wheels as a result of over-load, etc.

I would also contact lender and insurance company (if any), they would have a better legal deptartment than you.

Does your contract with the shipper specify any liability if indeed the weight you gave him was/is wrong?
CSY Man is offline   Reply
Old 02-10-2012, 19:06   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Maybe I missed something, but am I to understand that if you pay for the repairs to the trailer in El Paso and the remainder of the fee he is going to put this same boat on the same trailer and take it to San Fransisco? If it broke the trailer going to El Paso why would it not break it again going to San Fransico. I smell a rat! This has scam written all over it.
Old 02-10-2012, 19:17   #22

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Do you have a contract with the transporter?
Did you read it?
What stipulations does it contain regarding delivery?
Does it specify the load weight?

If you don't have good answers to the above, get an attorney who will be the first to tell you to look in the mirror to see someone who just received an expensive lesson.
Old 02-10-2012, 19:18   #23

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

This driver has been through a bunch of state weight stations on his trip ! anyone of them would have caught any over weight of the truck and load ! a 20,000 lbs boat is nowhere near the maxium weight that can be hauled on a 48 ft Flatbed trailor! The companys Ive done diesel work for, offen haul 36,000 lbs back and forth across the states !! Somebodys trying to get in your pocketbook !!! I would call texas Dept. of Transportation, and Inform them of a missing load, which is being held for ransom! In there state. Something will get done FAST !! when ya tell the driver this !!! Worth a try
Old 02-10-2012, 19:22   #24
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Maybe I missed something, but am I to understand that if you pay for the repairs to the trailer in El Paso and the remainder of the fee he is going to put this same boat on the same trailer and take it to San Fransisco? If it broke the trailer going to El Paso why would it not break it again going to San Fransico. I smell a rat! This has scam written all over it.
That's a good point. Indeed given the work undertaken on the trailer, would not the boat have had to be unloaded?
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply
Old 02-10-2012, 19:29   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

I rerread you original post and have some more questions. What evidence do you have that the boat actually made it to El Paso? Is there anything besides these text messages and e-mails? I take it those have come from a cell phone that could be anywhere. Have you talked to the guys with the travel lift that supposidly repositioned your boat on his trailer? This guy apparently took it 250 miles out of his way to find a travel lift. Perhaps where he picked up the boat travel lifts are few and far between but on the east coast you definitely don't have to go 250 miles to find a travel lift. Given my previous post what makes you think that if you give this guy 7000 more bucks that he's going to actually deliver the boat to San Fransico? It sounds to me like this guy is going to have your 10K and the boat will be sitting in some unknown place in El Paso. Worse yet he might have had the boat unloaded at the travel lift 250 miles out of his way and the boat may be already long gone and he still thinks he can get another 7K out of you. I'd defintely call a lawyer, but I would at least talk to the FBI since this apparently is happening across state line. They may tell you it's a civil matter, but maybe not.
Old 02-10-2012, 19:29   #26

It has not been revealed what relationship the driver and/or rig have with the moving company (The Company) the OP contracted to.

Does The Company have a performance bond for this delivery. The Company is in breach so the OP may go after the perfomance bond.

Strategy and tactics is up to the OP but being nice is a good start. But walk with a big stick. I would not retain an attorney.
Old 02-10-2012, 19:42   #27

Boat: 34 Irwin
As a former travelift operator, scales on the lifts I operated we're either not working or way out of calibration. Also just by adjusting the slings I could change the weight. I would believe a state police weight station, certified scales.

Offend to put the money in an escrow account, payable on proof of weight at a certified scale upon delivery if weight is over the contracted weight, AFTER delivery and AFTER PERSONALLY inspection of your boat . Ding the driver for every scratch mark, and all damage, missing items, who knows what has done or is missing from the boat at this point. If Driver is not willing to do this he is scraping you. My guess is the he can't pay the bill for repairs!
Old 02-10-2012, 19:44   #28

Boat: 1979 Union 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
That is an outstanding point. By his claims, he won't be able to use the trailer to transport the boat with out it being "overloaded" again.
Old 02-10-2012, 19:50   #29

Boat: BAYLINER 4788

OK, agree to pay him if you want the boat delivered. Thats all you can do. Tell him you are sorry for underestimating the weight, etc... BE NICE.

After all he has your boat.

When the boat arrives in SF pay him what you agreed to originally and let him sue you for the remainder. Claim in court that you were forced to agree to the additional fees under durress.

If he won't give you the boat, he at least has to show it to you to prove he even has it. Then you know where it is and can get persuasive if he wont give it back.

If you're not willing to take this to a more physical level, then call the local SF police and claim he is stealing your boat. When the cops arrive he will claim his contract, and you will claim your contract, and the cops will call it a civil matter and let the registered owner of the boat take it home.

Personally, I'm an Alaskan. If I could see and touch my boat there would not be anybody that would be able to keep me from taking it.
ksanders is offline   Reply
Old 02-10-2012, 19:54   #30

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard5 View Post
SNIP
I would not retain an attorney.
I have to disagree. This whole case depends on the wording of the contract.

In the US lawyers take classes in contract law. Trucking regulations differ from state to state and different state DOTs have different regulations. Maximum loads and load sizes vary and the DOTs are very good at tracking and catching violators. There is also the matter of paperwork for anyone transporting goods both in state and across state lines.

A lawyer can sort through the contract, understand the state and federal regulations, get documentation from the DOTs, and find any criminal violation that may have occurred.

Tags
marine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: