Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2012, 06:18   #271

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: Boat Held Hostage By Marine Transport Company

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I don't really want to read all the internet law experts posts.

All I want to now is whether you found and got your boat back since I haven't see a post from you saying you have.
Yeah well, I am sure that was what we were all hoping for? As I said somewhere above, if anyone "took" - that is, what we now realise is the criminal principle of "converted" - my boat, I would be absolutely inconsolable. Now let's hope this all helps Creole Belle get home?
Old 20-10-2012, 08:27   #272

Boat: PETERSON 44
If your property is converted does it have a higher social status? Or is it more like I've been screwed so my status has been converted from virgin to uhhh screwed.
I'm thinking this new age term is good. You steel my boat and I convert you to something that walks on all 4s. Not assault it's conversion.
sabray is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 10:26   #273
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" I have posted on other forums and found out that Steadley is likely on a delivery to Vancouver, BC at this time. "

If someone or two of the complainants were to shake a leg...it would be much simpler to have the trucker and his rig seized at the border, either going into Canada or returning to the US, than to have him chased down IN the US. Golden opportunity there.
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 10:52   #274

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
" I have posted on other forums and found out that Steadley is likely on a delivery to Vancouver, BC at this time. "

If someone or two of the complainants were to shake a leg...it would be much simpler to have the trucker and his rig seized at the border, either going into Canada or returning to the US, than to have him chased down IN the US. Golden opportunity there.
Good Point. Contact Customs.... especially if you have already contacted law enforcement... give customs the case number.

Cheechako is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 12:29   #275

Send a message via Yahoo to tspeed

I read this post and find myself shaking my head. Growing up in the trucking industry and having the nightmare of having to run the family trucking business, what I am reading here makes no sense. Without meaning any disrespect to anyone that has posted, here are some of the basic trucking rules that all drivers must follow, legal company or not. 1. No items can be transported without a signed BOL (Bill of Lading) by the shipper and the driver. This by all legal terms is a contract, it doesn't state what the payment is but it is a contract for the services the driver is providing. All commercial trucks must have one whether they are loaded with a box of stuff bunnies or a sailboat. When passing through a weigh station, the driver must present the BOL to the state DOT officer, if driver does not have one, he is detained until the shipper can send him a replacement and driver is fined. If the shipper can not send one, then the driver is charged with grand theft and illegal transporting of stolen goods. There is no grey area in this law and drivers know this. In the matter of transporting a sailboat, the driver must present a BOL at each state crossing in order to get the permits required to transport a boat through that state. Unless it is a small boat, there is no way of transporting it without following these procedures, the driver will be arrested for even trying to. When I mean small boat, it must have a beam of less than 8ft and min height of 12'6 inches when loaded. If this guy is transporting boats, all one must do is call the US DOT and State DOT. Calling local or state police or even FBI will get ppl nowhere. They do not have the authority to even stop a big truck unless to issue a traffic ticket or arrest with a felony warrant. Only US DOT and State DOT has the authority to do anything in this case. Every state has a weight station these trucks must pass through and they use transponders and pull through scales to log every truck entering and leaving the state, that is how they keep track of taxes due. If he is unloading in Texas, odds are very good that they are using forged BOL's to get the goods into Mexico. If this is the case, the goods are gone. In my opinion with what I know of the transportation systems regulation, contact your state DOT and file it with them. They take matters like this very seriously and he has to pass them daily and will catch him. If you file with the wrong agency, the end result will be nothing but heartache for the victims and the ones to come. The trucking industry is very regulated, there are bad ones out there but all drivers must follow the same guidelines to get from one state to the next, which does leave a paper trail and the BOL is the contract. You may not get your property back but he will be charged and spend time in jail. Some may use some legal terms here which I have not heard but in the trucking world and far as DOT is concerned, this is called smuggling. Hope my rant did not offend anyone but knowing the industry well as I do, I do know there is no way he is doing this without the BOL and permits which leaves a paper trail with DOT and they can check him out easily based off that info. Do not waste time call a sheriff, local, state police or FBI, will get you nowhere. DOT is the only ones with the authority that can do anything and they do not need a warrant to do so.
Sorry for my long rant.
tspeed is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 13:12   #276

Boat: Sabre 42
TS, you assume he's stopping at weigh stations. You know WAY more than I do about this, no doubt. But is it possible for him to drive this sort of load past a weigh station without stopping, and this without needing to present any paperwork?

If he's this shady, he may not have even moved it further than his buddy who's currently sailing it to Mexico to sell.

Creole? You still with us? Or are you in jail for murdering a trucker... I won't blame you, and will help raise bail if needed....
Old 20-10-2012, 15:21   #277

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Just wondering, as this transporter is using a pick-up type truck, could he be running a scam where he is posing as a recreational/non-commercial driver therefore avoiding weigh stations etc, and most likely not paying taxes?

Old 20-10-2012, 15:31   #278

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by SurferShane
Just wondering, as this transporter is using a pick-up type truck, could he be running a scam where he is posing as a recreational/non-commercial driver therefore avoiding weigh stations etc, and most likely not paying taxes?

He would still need over width permits.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 18:54   #279
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

tspeed, I don't doubt you, and welcome expertise. But if the DOT wre truly the only folks who could act here, you're also saying I could take a truckload of suitcase nukes coast to coast, dropping them off in target cities, and the FBI would say "Gee, we can't do a thing about that, better call the DOT."

Ah, no, I don't think so. DOT may have first dibs on a truck, but if the guy driving it has a couple of state and federal felony warrants out on him, all sorts of folks have the right to pull him over and take him down.

To butcher a phrase, "Jurisdiction is a many-splendored thing."

DOT may be the only folks who would be interested though, as most of the rest only have the resources and interest in big bloody crimes. Thefts with no bodies involved? Take a ticket, wait in line. Bring a tent and cooler, it's usually gonna be a long one unless you know how to motivate them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 18:57   #280

Ok, to answer simply on the over size load permits, they are required for commercial and non-commercial vehicles. As for avoiding the weigh stations, Dot is aware that some shady drivers try to do that when they are running illegal and make it a point to patrol the roads that can fit a truck. They do not have to have cause to pull a truck over, they have the authority to pull one over, commercial or non-commercial and that usually results in a driver going to jail. It varies from state to state but the min. fine that I am aware of for avoiding a scale is $1,500 but if a driver is avoiding scales is because he is running illegal or his paperwork is fake. If someone is using a pick-up to transport a sailboat that has a gross weight over 10,000 and a beam over 8 ft, I would really hope that would throw up a red flag cause no legal trucking company is going to over load a pick-up that is not designed to pull that kind of load. When a pick-up truck is showing they can haul 19,000 pounds, that weight is with the truck, trailer and load of the vehicle. DOT knows this and it would catch their attention very quickly. If he is transporting boats as part of his scam or so-called business, he not going to be able to get through all the states he must travel through without crossing DOT at some point. He may get lucky once or twice but not much more than that. There has to be some kind of paperwork and permits somewhere if he is moving these boats. There is no way possible for him to get into Canada without it and US DOT numbers. I have refused loads to Canada just because the entry rules for a commercial transport vehicle are seriously strict.

I do not like giving advice often but I will suggest anyone who plans to buy and transport a boat. Get the US DOT number and the name of their insurance provider and the bond amount for their loads. If they can not provide you with these items, get a different company. It is law they display the DOT numbers on the truck and to provide you with this info upon request and if they do not, odds are good they are not a legit company. Other reason for asking for how much their insurance bond is to be assured that your boat is covered. You do not want a company transporting your boat if their insurance bond does not cover the replacement cost of your boat if something happens. Also when getting a quote, ask for it to be broke down to show the cost of permits that will be needed. You do not want your boat to be seized and delayed for illegal transport. It is a sad situation that this has happened to someone. From what I have read on here, it seems to me like a man running a scam and the boat and all other goods are gone. I also have no doubt in my mind that he is not transporting boats across state lines without having some kind of paper trail. I suggest that the OP and any others that have been effect by this guy or other like him contact their State DOT and file with them. They take these kinds of matters very serious.
Old 20-10-2012, 19:29   #281

Hellosailor, I mean no disrespect and this may come to a surprise to you but no, FBI can not stop a truck WITHOUT a warrant and a member of DOT there. In a matter of the example you give, that falls to the Department of Homeland Security which has jurisdiction of DOT and matters of transport and terrorist using transport systems. It may not make sense but that is how the system works. As for your example of someone having felony warrants, he would be stopped at the first scale house he comes to but it may come as a surprise to you that any take down involving a truck under federal transport laws must have DOT there. This is done to protect the public, would you want the a cop or FBi to do a takedown on a driver who knows he has a felony warrant that is transporting hazardous materials and blow up your neighbor because they didn't follow the federal guidelines for doing so? DOT are trained to do this safely without putting the public in danger and are more informed on how to let emergency responders ie: firefighters know what kind of cargo the truck is carrying. It may seem like commonsense that FBI or other cops can take down anyone just cause they have a felony warrant but this is not so in the trucking industry for the sake of public safety. They can execute the warrant but there will be someone from DOT there when this is done. Like it or not, that is federal law. 6 Years back a man who was charged with murdering his wife was taking down in the situation that you just said, the man walked because the cop did not wait and follow the correct procedures. I not going to get into a shouting match over what law enforcement agencies can or can not do. They all work together and communicate with each other but I can assure you that when a driver is taking down, someone from DOT will be there. All the agencies follow the protocols rather it transporting, customs, drug bust, arms dealers. It is common for multiple agencies to do take downs together, in this case, DOT is the agency that would be there when a warrant is executed. Again I mean no disrespect but I have been involved in the trucking industry all my life and know those regulations cause they have been taught and drilled into me since birth. If the agency does not follow the correct procedures, the driver walks free. Does not matter what he was charged with.
Old 20-10-2012, 19:39   #282

Boat: Beneteau First 36.7

I have no beef in this, but do perhaps have some perspective/color as a previous client of Steadley (if indeed its him who is referenced in these posts). A few years ago now, he moved my boat from TX to NY and my experience was the absolutely total opposite of those being broadcast here.

I got a full written contract; he turned up on time; he delivered on time; he broke the boat down, packed it and prepped it for travel as well as I could have done. Like Creole - I wasn't there when the boat was hauled packed. The only "unexpected" was that he stopped off at home base in SC to service his truck on the way thru, but it totally reasonable in the circumstances and I don't think it impacted the aforementioned schedule - if so, only by a day.

No question, he had all the gear. Serious trailer, small semi rig to pull it, certainly not a yeehaa with a thrashed and beaten-up pickup who didn't know what he was doing. Like Creole, he was recommended to me by to separate places (seems to be how he gets a lot of his business), so this kind of thread is a real shock. I'd have recommended him to anyone needing to move a boat. So many details sound wrong; but seems others just add up. Maybe I was real lucky. Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye. Curiouser and curiouser.
gbr-aligator is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 20:15   #283
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbr-aligator View Post
I have no beef in this, but do perhaps have some perspective/color as a previous client of Steadley (if indeed its him who is referenced in these posts). A few years ago now, he moved my boat from TX to NY and my experience was the absolutely total opposite of those being broadcast here.

I got a full written contract; he turned up on time; he delivered on time; he broke the boat down, packed it and prepped it for travel as well as I could have done. Like Creole - I wasn't there when the boat was hauled packed. The only "unexpected" was that he stopped off at home base in SC to service his truck on the way thru, but it totally reasonable in the circumstances and I don't think it impacted the aforementioned schedule - if so, only by a day.

No question, he had all the gear. Serious trailer, small semi rig to pull it, certainly not a yeehaa with a thrashed and beaten-up pickup who didn't know what he was doing. Like Creole, he was recommended to me by to separate places (seems to be how he gets a lot of his business), so this kind of thread is a real shock. I'd have recommended him to anyone needing to move a boat. So many details sound wrong; but seems others just add up. Maybe I was real lucky. Maybe there is more to this than meets the eye. Curiouser and curiouser.

Steadley?
minaret is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 20:33   #284

Boat: Beneteau First 36.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Steadley?
Then I guess I got lucky.
gbr-aligator is offline   Reply
Old 20-10-2012, 20:45   #285

TSpeed, thanks for all of the input. The problem here is not that Steadley is fudging on the paperwork or ducking weigh stations and such, he probably isn't. The problem is that he picked my mast up along with another new one from SparCraft and perhaps Creole's boat along the way and never delivered them. Actually, he did deliver the other mast yesterday after 30 days. My mast not so much. Creole is silent now so I don't what is up with his boat. Anyway, Steadley has stashed my property in an undisclosed location and has reportedly proceeded to work the east coast and most recently the west coast and into Canada while my mast rots in the sun. He has given some dates for delivery on occasion but so far never showed, always more excuses. The most recent date he told the SparCraft rep in Seabrook is noon on Tuesday Oct 23rd. I guess we will see. The mast has now been out in the sun and elements in its shipping wrapper for over a month so it is possible the paint is now compromised. The DOT - Federal, or state, I guess could stop him but he isn't running with my property so what would they do? What do they care if he stashed a load a month ago, as long as he filled out their red tape correctly at the time? No, this is definitely in the law enforcement phase. Creole, if you are still there and your boat hasn't been delivered, I urge you to contact the nearest FBI office and tell them you want to talk to the Dallas office about the Dan Steadley case.
Dansante85 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
marine