Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 10:20   #166

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400
Re: Boat Held Hostage By Marine Transport Company

If you are unclear wether or not you are a redneck, you might want to check out Jeff Foxworthy.
Rocketman is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 10:53   #167

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
Wether or not the guy stops at wieght stations, is up to the guy hauling the boat. They probably should stop, but that doesn't mean they will. If this is a small time operation, meaning a guy with a truck, and a trailer, no employee's. Then he might be able to get by 90% of the time without stopping at wieght stations. If he were to get pulled over by police he could probably claim ignorance to the local laws and claim he was just hauling his own boat this one time. The police would then normally overlook a minor infraction.
While I agree the trucker is a small time operation hauling a load cross country would make it impossible to get by 90% of the time without stopping at weigh stations. Since the OP posted the boat had a beam of 10.5 feet a wide load permit is required which greatly limits the roads that can be used and the time those roads can be used.

You also seem to be a little confused about the police and the state DOT enforcement officers. DOT officers never overlook what you call minor infractions, in fact some truckers think DOT officers go out of their way to find minor infractions and issue violations for them. Truckers are required to keep a log book showing not only weigh station compliance but a boat load of other paperwork as well. If a trucker stops at a weigh station and the log indicates an obvious attempt to avoid weigh stations the spaghetti hits the fan.

The idea someone could haul an oversize, and possibly overweight, load over back roads on a cross country trip avoiding weigh stations is just plain silly.
tomfl is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 10:58   #168
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomfl View Post
While I agree the trucker is a small time operation hauling a load cross country would make it impossible to get by 90% of the time without stopping at weigh stations. Since the OP posted the boat had a beam of 10.5 feet a wide load permit is required which greatly limits the roads that can be used and the time those roads can be used.

You also seem to be a little confused about the police and the state DOT enforcement officers. DOT officers never overlook what you call minor infractions, in fact some truckers think DOT officers go out of their way to find minor infractions and issue violations for them. Truckers are required to keep a log book showing not only weigh station compliance but a boat load of other paperwork as well. If a trucker stops at a weigh station and the log indicates an obvious attempt to avoid weigh stations the spaghetti hits the fan.

The idea someone could haul an oversize, and possibly overweight, load over back roads on a cross country trip avoiding weigh stations is just plain silly.
I have never seen a pickup truck stop at the weigh station ,isnt that what he was driving?..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 11:04   #169

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape
I have never seen a pickup truck stop at the weigh station ,isnt that what he was driving?..
In a former life, hauling placarded loads of hazmat on a pickup wearing DOT numbers I was required to maintain a logbook and a CDL. Part of that is stopping at weigh stations. I have been cited for being overweight while towing a gooseneck trailer loaded with oilfield equipment behind a 1 ton pickup. The DOT doesn't care about the type of vehicle when commercial, they want to see weight per axle, permits and credentials. But the radioactive placard keeps them away from the truck
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 11:09   #170

I had a boat moved with more than a 10'5" beam by a small time outfit, I followed them for the entire trip. It was not a cross country trip, but it was a 300 mile trip. The guy I had move the boat put a "Wide Load" sign on the front and back, then by passed every weight station, 2 of them. We had no problems with anything. We might have had a problem, if we would have been pulled over, but we weren't pulled over. I aske the mover about the weight stations, and he told me, he wasn't required to stop. I didn't question him about the law, but I suspect he wasn't following it.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:17   #171

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

If this guy did not have any DOT numbers on his truck, he might well pass up weight stations! but he would normaly have a sign on his truck saying NOT FOR HIRE. these are the normal rules for hauling your own large loads over the roads !! but if he was flying wide load signs he would really need to stop at these stations !if he did not , well he was sure luckier then I have ever been when I was hauling stuff right after Katrina, with my 3500 duley PU. for hire and I had to have that in plain site on the truck! just my 2 cents
Old 08-10-2012, 11:25   #172

The guy I hired, did not have DOT numbers on his Dully truck or trailer, he did not make a full time living pulling boats but he did do it for hire. I suspect he was flying under the radar, to me it did not make a difference as I was getting a good deal and it was his ass, if something went wrong. What makes you think that the guy hauling this man's boat is following the law's. Hasn't he proven that he doesn't, by holding this man's boat hostage?
Old 08-10-2012, 11:32   #173
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
If you are unclear wether or not you are a redneck, you might want to check out Jeff Foxworthy.
This guy is to commercial to be "the real artical"..his definition is to broad and incompesing...even for a Rednecks sinsabilitys..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 11:53   #174

Boat: Bristol 34
My Bristol 34 is roughly the size of the OP's boat. He indicated the boat weighed approx. 19.5k lbs. heavier than mine? Yes, but for the trucker to say it was30% more? No way, that is unless the OP was shipping along all his household goods as well.

Don
dandrews is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 14:17   #175

Went on the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Association website over the weekend. My carrier has a DOT # and and MC#. No accidents within the last 2 years. However his OPERATING STATUS is listed as NOT AUTHORIZED. When I click on NOT AUTHORIZED, the definition is "Carrier has a docket # that is listed as inactive". Made numerous calls to govt. #'s, no luck. A private co. said could be anything, often no insurance.

I do have an email from the carrier's insurance agent a "Certificate of Liability Insurance" with $300,000 cargo limit coverage. I am listed as a "Certificate Holder". Does that mean that I can file a claim directly or does this just tell me that if there is a loss my carrier has insurance and I must obtain any payment for damages from him?
CREOLE-BELLE is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 14:26   #176

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

Start calling your insurance company and also his.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 14:27   #177
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Wow. Talk about information that would have been good to have beforehand.
fstbttms is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 14:27   #178

Been searching my computer for the artwork for the CREOLE BELLE name..port and starboard, just below the aft end of the cockpit. Yellow with red highlighting on the green hull background. Unfortunately, think there is little hope of finding her until the slow wheels of justice grind away.

More bad news. The mover's website went down. AGAIN THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR EFFORTS....Bob
Old 08-10-2012, 14:42   #179
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Consider posting your story on as many sailing and boating forums as you can. This guy is clearly going into hiding. Get as many pairs of eyes looking for the boat as possible:

Sailing Anarchy Forums
Pressure Drop
SailNet Community - Powered by vBulletin
Anything Sailing Forum
SailboatOwners.com
Boating, Sailing and Cruising Forum: For Cruisers - BY Cruisers
Trawler Forum
Catalina 36 International Association Forums - Powered by vBulletin
The Hull Truth - Boating and Fishing Forum

Also posting in the "Boats" section of craigslist for the regions you suspect he may have her hidden couldn't hurt. If you were to reveal his company name, you may very well find somebody who can give you valuable info about him.
fstbttms is offline   Reply
Old 08-10-2012, 16:02   #180

fstbttms thanks. That is a good idea.
Closed Thread

Tags
marine