Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-06-2011, 06:53   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavour 35, 1984,
Re: Boarded by USCG 60 miles off Key West

Quote:
Originally Posted by captainKJ View Post
the USCG has never to my knowledge "accidently" shot anyone and are still regarded as the most or one of the most professional governmental organizations on the planet.

and how do you know they never did,,,do you think they would tell the public if such happened,,,,,,,don't think so,,boarding a vessel with guns in hand is wrong,,an accident waiting to happen,,protocols are in place for there safety and ours,,,,,,I do believe that they are one of the most professional police agencies int eh worls,,,I have been boarded by columbia police, venezula police, bahamas police, italian and spanish police,,,2 or 3 in the caribbean from different countries,,,,the USCG has by for the highest standards that I have seen,,,,i work on yachts and travel to many countries,,,most were looking for handouts and an excuse to board,,,the bahamas and columbia were the worst (more corrupt than a politician)
How please !! so they also killed all the eyewitnesses and their families also and they shut up the press , deported the CG who wanted to talk and they put in jail the CEO of wikileaks...etc... Are you serious?
Old 14-06-2011, 07:04   #17

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Alecadi

Some people have nightmares...
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 07:11   #18

Boat: 1967 Falmouth Gypsy 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I'll bet you were never "in the sights" of a USCG weapon and I'll take the professionalism and security of the USCG over just about any in the world.
Actually since you were not there allow me to clarify, there was an inflatable with a 30 Cal (not mm, my bad) machine gun pointed at us, it was very visible and was POINTED AT US, unless you have any experience with a 50 or 30 cal then your statement about "not being in the sights" is incorrect. those things are called saws for a reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Start sinking 20 miles off the Cuban and see who shows up....
regarding who would respond if we were sinking 20 miles off Cuba, there was an average of 2 large tankers or container ship every hour, we were rarely out of sight of any other vessels. The shipping lanes are very busy in that area.

per everyone else's statements, I posted this so that others might know what to expect, as stated in my OP the USCG was very courteous and polite despited the boot black that got all over the damn deck I would be happy to have them aboard again.
Hillbillyfunk is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 07:18   #19

I stopped reading after the word "Cuba".

Seahunter is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 07:23   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
I stopped reading after the word "Cuba".

por que?
why?
Old 14-06-2011, 08:01   #21

"Re: Boarded by USCG 60 miles off Key West"; 60 miles from Key West is only 34 miles from Cuba. You figure it out.

Old 14-06-2011, 08:29   #22

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Well no fence but I was grown to guns and it was fundamental not to point anyone with a gun EVER without intention to kill, so anyone pointing me consider yourself as a free target..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 08:32   #23

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo

Seahunter......
What exactly is your point??
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 08:36   #24
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

What would have been shocking is if you had made that run at night and not been boarded.
Old 14-06-2011, 08:39   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seahunter View Post
"Re: Boarded by USCG 60 miles off Key West"; 60 miles from Key West is only 34 miles from Cuba. You figure it out.

man am I glad you weren't navigating, if you notice we set course from Marina Hemingway (8 nm West of Havana) to Marathon, Fl (40nm NE from Key West).

there's always room for another smart ass on board.
Old 14-06-2011, 08:48   #26

As I first stated, I stopped reading after the word "Cuba" (essentially missing the navigation stuff); however, the shortest distance to Cuba from the Keys is about 81KM or 94 miles give or take, Havana a little farther. My guess is that you were spotted as you left the marina; again I beg an answer to the question, what were your expectations? Maybe it's better to be the smart ass than not so smart.

Old 14-06-2011, 08:49   #27

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillyfunk View Post
Actually since you were not there allow me to clarify, there was an inflatable with a 30 Cal (not mm, my bad) machine gun pointed at us, it was very visible and was POINTED AT US, unless you have any experience with a 50 or 30 cal then your statement about "not being in the sights" is incorrect. those things are called saws for a reason

regarding who would respond if we were sinking 20 miles off Cuba, there was an average of 2 large tankers or container ship every hour, we were rarely out of sight of any other vessels. The shipping lanes are very busy in that area.

per everyone else's statements, I posted this so that others might know what to expect, as stated in my OP the USCG was very courteous and polite despited the boot black that got all over the damn deck I would be happy to have them aboard again.
Very familiar with the 50...and only from behind the gun do you know if something is in someones sights...especially at night between 2 bouncing boats..

Did it for a living...think I might actually know something here...
psneeld is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 08:50   #28

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillbillyfunk View Post
man am I glad you weren't navigating, if you notice we set course from Marina Hemingway (8 nm West of Havana) to Marathon, Fl (40nm NE from Key West).

there's always room for another smart ass on board.
As they say...better a smart as* than a dumb as*....
psneeld is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 08:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alecadi View Post
How please !! so they also killed all the eyewitnesses and their families also and they shut up the press , deported the CG who wanted to talk and they put in jail the CEO of wikileaks...etc... Are you serious?
Really...
Attached Images

redcobra is offline   Reply
Old 14-06-2011, 08:53   #30

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

I've been boarded in the Bering Sea while on a commercial fishing vessel and off of Jamaca while delievering an Offshore Supply Vessel... Both times I cordially invited the USCG on board while letting them know that I was Retired Navy. Didn't have the guns drawn and even hosted their back up boarding party as they trained on boarding an unknown crewed vessel.
The key is to be friendly and have coffee or sodas ready on hand. Heh heh heh! I don't mind them coming aboard and will assist them in their training.
As to the guns drawn... When boarding a vessel and the crew are unknown. How do you know if the crew will resist with extreme prejudice or not? Being prepared and not having to use your weapons can be a good thing... But boarding with your weapons hostlered and not lock & loaded is a bad thing...
You really have to put yourself in those young USCG's shoes and see it from their point of view.
boasun is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
key west