Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 09:26   #1

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28
Boarded by the FWC at Anchor.

He wanted to pepper spray my 13 lb dog, my cabin is my dog's cave, he has never had anyone inside it before. He was being a great dog by not wanting this pimple aged boy inside our home. The cop should have tried to be smarter than the dog but I am not so sure that man is smarter than a dog.
Spraying my dog would have meant that he would have had to use that Glock on me also. Besides wouldn't we all have been coughing uncontrollably inside a small cabin?

Why does man think he is a more important living creature than other animals?
When I see people trying to dictate other animals to act as they see fit I think to myself; why mess them up, look at what a mess we made of ourselves and our world? Leave them out of it!

Oh yeah, must have something to do about that religious self imprtance thing.

Btw, my best friend only growled and showed his unrest of the situation which is something that I am not allowed to show to the cop.

He wanted to spray him for it, he had the pepper spray unholstered.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 09:34   #2
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco
Re: I was just boarded by the FWC at anchor.

Ever been dogbit? Maybe the glock first?Maybe get the dog ynder control first so there isn't a confrontation?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47   #3

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

So, what was the original purpose of his boarding? Potty inspection?
Cormorant is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 09:48   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Why does man think he is a more important living creature than other animals?
When I see people trying to dictate other animals to act as they see fit I think to myself; why mess them up, look at what a mess we made of ourselves and our world? Leave them out of it!
The irony of this statement just slaps me in the face. Here you are complaining about some dude that was scared of your pup and take that case and make a broad sweeping statement about people having expectations on animals and how we shouldn't mess with them. And while making this statement did it occur to you that if YOU followed your own advice, you wouldn't have put a DOMESTICATED (ie, bred and manipulated by man for 1000s of years) animal out of its natural environment (read: NOT ON A BOAT)?

The idiot that boarded you was probably just a punk or fearful or both. Be pissed at him but not at the idea that people interfere with animals and have expectations of animals.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56   #5

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Maybe they seen you kicking the dogs poop over the side.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:56   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
He called it a "safety inspection", he ran my ID with the dispatcher and checked the head Y-valve.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:02   #7

That is terrible, but the UN fortunate thing is on the water your very limited in what you can and can't do. Even on land. Can't give an example of what you could have done.

I have dogs several (two currently but have had more), they are Rottweilers, lets just as a hobby, they are sport trained in two forms of pretection sports. As such they are easy to have control over, but being the type they are. They have a fear factor, much like police dogs or a sports car that look fast even when sitting still!!!!

As such I do have an obligation on my property to give fair warning, both under state/province, local laws, etcetera. Despite another whole set of legal liabilities, I have beware of dogs signs on my properties border entrances--including on patrol!

Id put a dog onboard on both sides of your vessel. Gives you more of a chance to explain friendly once your known.

Not to scare but even on your property police do have a right to protect themselves and people outside of your property from the dog. Mace or even shootings can happen and very little can be done about it.

Google for examples of some sad stories. ----------Do not put up warning signs on your property or boat other than DOG ONBOARD------- I have the knowledge to make it all right for ME and my individual situation to give a more dangerous fair warning-------------------------------
zudnic is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 10:06   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cormorant View Post
State and Federal law enforcement can board a vessel at any time to ensure your complying with safety and document requirements. In some states the police can stop vehicles on the road without probable cause. Its very easy to conduct random traffic stops in all states--with or without probable cause! Even more so on the water. You need to charged with an infraction/harmed to be able to seek court for most rights violations by the government!
zudnic is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 10:34   #9
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

sorry for your experience .. sounds like your dog was just doing his job of protecting his master.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:35   #10
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if boarded, hold small animals in arms-i had to do that with kat when uscg felt need to bring a doberman onto my clean boat,,LOL..also warn the boarding party that the critter exists and isnt friendly to intruders. hold critter well.... these cretins arent gonna stop harrassing just because of a critter.. they have "real work " to do LOL....poop patrol...

dog WANTED my kat..... didnt get him, tho.... kat hated doggie...
zeehag is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 10:53   #11

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Simple food chain thing...dogs have teeth...we have pepper spray and thanks to Mr. Colt a variety of things that put us up at the top if we maintain control.

Working with law enforcement is usually easy if you try also...but based on your response...I don't think you have much respect for LE and they can sense it like your dog can.

The reality is ......most LEOs, postal workers, surveyors, etc..etc all have been scared by dogs at one time....me included... and I've had a dog most of my life... if the owner isn't in control...then they take the initiative.
psneeld is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 11:06   #12

Sorry to hear you may have been the victim of unnecessary governmental intrusion into your personal life and home.

It does take a certain kind of schmuck to use pepper spray on a small pet dog while conducting what may have been basically an unjustified armed invasion of your private property. He could have asked you to leash it, or you might have done that out of common sense, if there was opportunity to do so.

You stated that he merely had the spray "unholstered". That's fair enough, if you first accept his right to board your boat as he did. But you also speculated "he wanted to spray him". Did you consider the possibility it was YOU that he didn't like the looks of, not your little "man-eating mop" of a pip-squeek dog...

BTW, I've had an 11# dog for 14 years, and then a 21# dog for 17 years (he passed last week, I cried like a little girl for hours that day).

Quote:
...look at what a mess we made of ourselves and our world...

I hope you are not trying to include me in your "we" and "our" - a psychologist might call that "projection", and it seems some degree of self-loathing may be at the root of your statement...

I don’t believe I have made a mess of myself or my world. On the contrary, I've had a very rewarding life so far, and do my best to work productively, stay healthy, fit, well-rounded and balanced. I make the effort to study the issues and participate in society. I help others as it seems reasonable to do so. I volunteer as tutor and mentor where it seems like it will make a difference and believe I have left my world better than I found it.

If you believe you personally have made a mess of your life and your world, well, I'm sorry to hear that.

And BTW, many types of animals have been the private property of humans since before recorded history... I own my dog - he is my private property and I certainly won't be asking permission of him or of society in any issue between him and me. If you eat commercial meat or use commercial leather (and I don’t know if you do) much of what you said on animals seems more than a little hypocritical considering how those animals are kept and slaughtered.
Whimsy is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 11:30   #13
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
we have pepper spray and thanks to Mr. Colt a variety of things that put us up at the top
if you need pepper spray or mr. colt to deal with a 13 lb. dog then i suspect your control issues may go beyond just wanting to stay on top .. but hey that's just one opinion in a world of opinionated people
Old 12-04-2011, 12:29   #14

Whimsy,

It looks as if my remark on religion offended you or others.
Believers are quick to attack.
I'd apologize but I wouldn't mean it.
So, please don't attack me, or justify your greatness, it isn't necessary.

Regarding the farming thing, my career was in Agribusiness, I know and have experienced more than 60 Minutes could handle reporting in 2 seasons.
Maybe you have seen me on trade magazine covers?

I don't own my dog he is not my property, although the government sees it that way, he follows me everywhere I go, unleashed and unafraid with a big smile on his face. He would swim out to the boat to be with me if I didn't let him board the dink.

Happy Sailing.
Peace.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:36   #15

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
It looks as if my remark on religion offended you or others.
Believers are quick to attack.
I'd apologize but I wouldn't mean it.
So, please don't attack me, or justify your greatness, it isn't necessary.

Tags
anchor