Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-04-2011, 14:14   #31

Re: I was just boarded by the FWC at anchor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
This sorta sounds like Charlie Sheen.
What is "Charlie Sheen"? Sounds like one of a variety of designer paint finishes:

Salesman: "Well, that particular line is available in Freddie Flat, Shelia Satin, Edie Eggshell, Sandy Semigloss, and Charlie Sheen."

But, how does that relate to owning up to owning a dog?
Whimsy is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 14:25   #32

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Group Hug

Sorry you were boarded, that can be a bit unnerving for human and dog . I was boarded only once, and that was offshore during a delivery. The gulf is ripe with drug runners so I was glad to see the coasties and welcomed them aboard. I mooched a bunch of water and diesel off of em too .

Be easy on the kid, he was just doing his job and just wants to get home in one piece. Having said that, boarding my home for a paltry reason as safety inspection would stress me out too. Most weekend boaters look at boarding as a necessary thing (and it is). But when you live aboard it is so much more, and the power given to the authorities to be able to board any vessel should be used with caution and thoughtfull contemplation, a triat not usually found in government institutions.

Peace to you and your little dog (post a pic of the little guy if ya can)
Erika
Old 12-04-2011, 14:28   #33

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
A dog is easy to deal with... you just introduce yourself in the correct manner... give him a moment to assess if the smell is hostile or friendly and 'Bobs your Uncle'...
The problem with folks in uniform (no countries named...) they're usually gung-ho jogging chant "Rah Rah nail that *******... Yah Yah yank that dude' types..
Education works both ways... sad state of affairs when the dog is usually more intelligent...
Someone said I "was angry".

What if the guy sprayed my dog and the situation became very elevated and 3 lives were forever different? I happen to think very highly of my fellow animal and am not sure how I would have handled it.
All because someone uncompetent was given authority to put so much at risk.

I wasn't angry till after the episode as I realized how much was just at stake.

The cop became angry when someone waked us, he said "I'm gunna go get them" and he did.

I am not sure if I am allowed to be angry, aren't they regulating that also as Anger Management?

Now they have anger management, and it is others discretion for
endoftheroad is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 14:46   #34
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

I thought it was pretty laid back in Key West? My wife and I have been thinking about hanging out there for awhile once we leave our marina here in Kemah. Other than this incident, how is life there? Maybe you want to take a breath, relax, and enjoy the beauty where you are? Life has it's little surprises now and then. Just don't let it get you down. Glad everything worked out with no one getting hurt (including Fido).

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 14:55   #35

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Key West is fine, it's been a home port for nearly 10 years.
Been thinkin about heading north and finding a cheap boatyard to haul out and live in the boat for half the summer while I strip bottom.

Water temp here is already 80 degrees and we are so far away from hurricane season. Last year while snorkeling, without exerting myself, I had sweat dripping off my brow and landing on my lense (while looking down of course).
endoftheroad is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 15:00   #36

Quote:
Someone said I "was angry".
Quote:

What if the guy sprayed my dog and the situation became very elevated and 3 lives were forever different? I ...am not sure how I would have handled it.

I wasn't angry till after the episode as I realized how much was just at stake.

I am not sure if I am allowed to be angry,

Dude, I think you are allowed to be as angry as you like, or to experience any other emotion that happens upon you, or that you call up. As I understand it, as an adult in civil society, its how control your BEHAVIOR that matters.

Understanding the difference between emotion and behavior is critical in these situations.

The cop drew down on your dog for this very reason - animals are not known for their ability to understand a situation and to control their behavior when it matters, again, in civil society.

If you had shown any tendency of not being able to control your behavior, well, that is the first sign to a cop to begin defensive behavior, such as drawing a more potent weapon. As a previous poster pointed out, this is how they are trained...

You see that that cop boarding your boat as an isolated incident, and your emotion was thus influenced, whereas that cop just sees you as one of dozens or hundreds of boat owners whose boats he has to board a part of his job, and his emotion is far less likely to get you than his training if your behavior deviates from civil past a certain point, where again, he is trained to notice and recognize the early signs of behavior deviation in your every glance, word and motion.

Glad there was no real problem beyond the evidence of loss of Liberty in our society. This might be a lesson for all to form clear policy on how to behave in similar future circumstances.

Best regards.
Old 12-04-2011, 15:07   #37

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
Understanding the difference between emotion and behavior is critical in these situations.
I was going to add to the thread, until I read that reply. There is nothing else to add to such a perfect summation...
Old 12-04-2011, 15:08   #38
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: I was just boarded by the FWC at anchor.

Or....
The cop could see you as just another dude spoiling a potentially lazy afternoon..

"Shoot... just when I think its okay to sit n chill... you and the 'Hound of the Baskervilles' show up....
boatman61 is online now   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 15:16   #39
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
I was going to add to the thread, until I read that reply. There is nothing else to add to such a perfect summation...
The exact truth is they (gvts) pick on us because they can. We being a minority that isn't afforded equal protection. And they are hoping to make a profit. Check the dump valve? Why? Can any bureaucrat demonstrate that little boats cause pollution? The water gets dirty fast after a hard rain. Why is that and how does hassling boat owners help?
Noname1 is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 15:26   #40
Sponsoring Vendor

Boat: Wharram Tiki 30 Abaco

Quote:
Besides wouldn't we all have been coughing uncontrollably inside a small cabin?
or

Quote:
The dog was behind him in cockpit, when cop started to walk through companionway. Dog didn't like the copper cornering me especially since dog
was on other side of cop from me.
Could only have been one of these not both.
Part of living with (owning) a dog is that you are responsible for it's behavior. Being bit by a small dog may be less traumatic than being bit by a big dog but neither is not on my bucket list.
This might be a good lesson for you to think ahead in any similar situations in the future.
When a cop pulls you over at night it makes sense to have your license and your concealed weapon permit in your hands at the top of the steering wheel. Nothing good comes from a scared young cop with a gun.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
boatsmith is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 15:32   #41
Armchair Bucketeer

But do you feel safer?

I certainly sleep sounder in my bed at night knowing that armed Govt poop inspectors are.............half a world away

I also get to spend that money on beer
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 15:35   #42

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

The problem with the poop police is they don't take any crap.

Old 12-04-2011, 15:40   #43
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But do you feel safer?

I certainly sleep sounder in my bed at night knowing that armed Govt poop inspectors are.............half a world away

I also get to spend that money on beer
Ahhhh... the 'Land of the Free'.... aint it Grand..
Old 12-04-2011, 15:59   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Or....
The cop could see you as just another dude spoiling a potentially lazy afternoon..

"Shoot... just when I think its okay to sit n chill... you and the 'Hound of the Baskervilles' show up....
You do realize it was the cop that boarded endoftheroad's boat, and not visa versa?
Old 12-04-2011, 16:09   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whimsy View Post
You do realize it was the cop that boarded endoftheroad's boat, and not visa versa?
Sometimes the language barriers/differences are real hard to get round....
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor