Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-04-2011, 09:32   #76

Boat: 1964 Pearson Ariel 'Faith' / Pearson 424, sv Emerald Tide
Re: I was just boarded by the FWC at anchor.

First,

I am sorry that the OP had this experience, and I am sure I would be
quite upset if I had this happen to me.

I also sail with a dog (much more threatening then #14) and agree that
anyone boarding my boat (with authority or not) should be reasonable in their actions... they have chosen to come aboard MY boat and should act accordingly.

Two points I would like to raise (and I appreciate the notice that comes up when posting to the thread)

First, I hope that the OP has expressed their concerns to the appropriate supervisor of the FWC officer. It DOES seem like there was (at least) discourteous behaviour... and complaining on the internet does little to help address that.

Second, I find the reference to a person's faith to be strangely out of place and troubling. If the OP had raised the person's race, gender, orientation, etc... it would be just as inappropriate... the insertion of this into the discussion does nothing to help the discussion and is frankly strange.

I am glad that as a community we are diverse. I have had great associations with folks of all different backgrounds... the reference to a persons position WRT their beliefs is out of place and an unfortunate aspect of the discussion IMHO.

Fair winds,
s/v 'Faith' is offline   Reply
Old 13-04-2011, 09:48   #77

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v 'Faith' View Post
First,

I am sorry that the OP had this experience, and I am sure I would be
quite upset if I had this happen to me.

I also sail with a dog (much more threatening then #14) and agree that
anyone boarding my boat (with authority or not) should be reasonable in their actions... they have chosen to come aboard MY boat and should act accordingly.

Two points I would like to raise (and I appreciate the notice that comes up when posting to the thread)

First, I hope that the OP has expressed their concerns to the appropriate supervisor of the FWC officer. It DOES seem like there was (at least) discourteous behaviour... and complaining on the internet does little to help address that.

Second, I find the reference to a person's faith to be strangely out of place and troubling. If the OP had raised the person's race, gender, orientation, etc... it would be just as inappropriate... the insertion of this into the discussion does nothing to help the discussion and is frankly strange.

I am glad that as a community we are diverse. I have had great associations with folks of all different backgrounds... the reference to a persons position WRT their beliefs is out of place and an unfortunate aspect of the discussion IMHO.

Fair winds,
They didn't "choose" to come on your or any boat...it's their job requirement and any distractions will increase their anxiety and alertness.

It's been already stated that the LEO was prepared to deal with the dog..and pepper spray in most reasonable minds would be preferable to kicking the dog and causing more serious injury, but the LEO didn't over react for whatever reason.

Also...we have only heard one side of the story plus several posters have already pointed out to 'variations" in the OP's story. For all we know the LEO was verbally abused for even wanting to board...let alone dealing with a dog at his back.

After 23 years in the USCG I'm proud of the rep the USCG boarding officers have...but I also know the danger and abuse they are subject to every day.

Two sides to every story...we have only heard one.
psneeld is offline   Reply
Old 13-04-2011, 10:12   #78

Boat: Westsail 32 and Herreshoff 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
That ship has long sailed. Sure sounds good but who care about rights or sensibilities of a cruiser/boater? Anchoring laws have been changed here in Fla but only because the legislature was convinced it was a $$ issue. Not because of any moral or legal imperative.

endoftheroad were you given any warning or communication at all that he was to be boarded? Time to secure your dog?
NOPE, There was no time to tend to my dog. He boaded in an intrusive manner and threatened my family on my property.

Come one guys, how is a man supposed to just accept that?

Oh yeah, he has a job to do and it's dangerous for him, I forgot.
endoftheroad is offline   Reply
Old 13-04-2011, 10:15   #79

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
threatened my family on my property.
In what way?
Old 13-04-2011, 10:33   #80

Sv faith post #76,

The reason it seems strange to you is that you don't understand what I meant regarding the religious comment in the op.

I have no clue what religion if any of the cop, I never gave it thought till someone mentioned it here just as you did, I didn't reply. I DON'T CARE.

What was meant by that comment is the overall disrespect that man has for animals. Religion makes it easier to eat meat as a so called God put them here for such use, thus mans regard for a dog or animals has been jaded.

LIFE IS LIFE, and all LIFE should be respected.

We are all stardust.

Sorry I couldn't quote your post #76, I am on an ipad and don't know how to scroll to end of quote for my imput.
Old 13-04-2011, 10:36   #81

Boat: Bombay PH 31

My experince yesterday eve with FWC went VERY differntly.
I came up to tell my dog "lill bubba" to hush up as he was barking madley.
Grey boat coming up with two officers on it, was why.

I held dog, called son to hold him and informed officers he has bitten before. kid brought him below, heads there, back cabin had the jackets so i let him sniff thier hand while repeating "friend, friend" then just let him down.

Inspection did not go so well when i relized i had forgot to ziptie valve last time i used it. not only that... put handle on pointing up
OH:
for some reson the valve was still closed or something cause no dye in water. A warning was issued for not securing valve. i could have goten a very large ticket or two there.

BUT,, i was poilite at all times and reffered to the officer (at least thrity years my junior) as sir and answered all questions yes sir no sir as i was taught in grade school.

******Inflammatory remarks deleted*******

Man, id hate to be a cop water or otherwise and have to not know wether some on was hiding a lii weed , a cop killer on the run or an average citizen .
you werent in Key West as long as I so you dont know,(FMP was name prior to FWP still grouper troopers to me)
1.FMP officers have been bitten by dogs more than once
2. near rat key before mooring field on officer beaten nearly to death by guy on derilict boat.
3. cristmas tree has had more than a few rapes,thievery and at least two murders that i recall.

my two cents
keyspc is offline   Reply
Old 13-04-2011, 10:41   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
They didn't "choose" to come on your or any boat...it's their job requirement and any distractions will increase their anxiety and alertness.

It's been already stated that the LEO was prepared to deal with the dog..and pepper spray in most reasonable minds would be preferable to kicking the dog and causing more serious injury, but the LEO didn't over react for whatever reason.

Also...we have only heard one side of the story plus several posters have already pointed out to 'variations" in the OP's story. For all we know the LEO was verbally abused for even wanting to board...let alone dealing with a dog at his back.

Fwiw,
The guy thinks I'm pretty cool and appreciated me making him feeling more at ease. He was smiling and laughing on his way out.
There were a couple issues that he could have given me tickets and said "I'm not gunna give you a ticket but I am going to go get that guy that just waked us". Last thing he said was "I'm going to wake you on my way out", because he was in a hurry to get the bad guy on the gofast.
I untied his lines from my cleat and threw them into his patrol boat.
I'm quite chilled.
Old 13-04-2011, 10:43   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saucy Sailoress View Post
In a nutshell, if you can't control your own dog in your preferred manner, then don't be surprised if LEOs control them in the way they have been trained.
Well said, and worth repeating.
denverd0n is offline   Reply
Old 13-04-2011, 11:53   #84

Boat: Nantucket Clipper 31ft (1979)
Re: Boarded by the FWC at Anchor.

Crazy doggies!

They dont understand the importance of a Homeland-security and that 9-11 still counts in this great bankrupt country!
Old 13-04-2011, 12:25   #85

A police officer even while trespassing can shoot an animal in defense of themselves. Much lower standard because dogs do not have Constitutional protections. Even yelling at a police officer after the lawful action within his police powers. The officer could then use those same powers on your person. Even in the United States. Google police shoot dog. Some places standard procedure while serving search warrants is shoot dogs. Police have gone to wrong addresses and these people had little recourse against the individual officer's action. Civil action against the police force yes for damaging the dog owners property.

Since I'm not giving actual advisement this is not legal advice merely opinion based on limited common knowledge about police in general. I'll never actually explain how to use the law especially on a case by case basis. Hence why I can be vague'.
zudnic is offline   Reply
Old 13-04-2011, 12:33   #86

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

In some countries they'll even eat your dog. So one should be happy with the restraints we have here in the US of A.
Old 13-04-2011, 12:48   #87
cruiser

I don't wanna get my knuckles rapped again so I will end my participation with this.

To think some people think it perfectly OK to be minding your own biz and have your home entered to check for what you MIGHT be doing w/o any other evidence ... well where does it stop?

Tchau for now.
Noname1 is offline   Reply
Old 13-04-2011, 13:02   #88

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmo64 View Post
"So what's next, metermaids with guns?" Quote from perchance

No MERmaids with guns?
Where would they conceal them?
perchance is offline   Reply
Old 13-04-2011, 13:06   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by perchance View Post
Where would they conceal them?
Why would they conceal them? I never minded seeing "open carry" of a nice pair of 38 Specials.
Whimsy is offline   Reply
Old 13-04-2011, 13:18   #90
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

I think after +23 years of: “...Bad Boys… Bad Boys….what you gonna do when they come for you”…. Many people have a tendency to sensationalize any interaction with enforcement agencies, (including some of them working within those agencies).

The show becomes their Reality and has little to do with promoting common sense in working with each other in a stressful situation.

The dog feels the stress and does what dogs will do….. Growls a warning….. Same with the police….. they get the spray out or worse…………..Bad Boys… Bad Boys….

Pelagic is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor