Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 17:18   #46
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: I was just boarded by the FWC at anchor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by endoftheroad View Post
Someone said I "was angry".

What if the guy sprayed my dog and the situation became very elevated and 3 lives were forever different? I happen to think very highly of my fellow animal and am not sure how I would have handled it.
All because someone uncompetent was given authority to put so much at risk.
If it happened and I had already read this thread I would think this is what happens when a foolish philosophy meets reality.

I suspect your dog doesn't share the attitude that you're just hanging out together and that he just follows you around. He probably has an expectation that you will feed him and help him understand the ground rules of his part in the bargain. I have the expectation that dog owners will train them in the sort of behavior required to get along with people, I expect them to clean up after their dog and to provide them with the care required for them to be healthy. If the dog and you just happened to be hanging out together then in my view the dog is a stray and therefore a problem that needs to be attended to appropriately.

Dogs aren't equal to humans in human society.

hummingway is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 17:25   #47

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Old 12-04-2011, 17:36   #48
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But do you feel safer?

I certainly sleep sounder in my bed at night knowing that armed Govt poop inspectors are.............half a world away

I also get to spend that money on beer
Thanks for the inspiration OM.!

I get boarded I'm gonna be the nicest guy all day. Offer a Coke and after he checks dump valve I'm gonna ask sweet as sugar...

Just how long have you been on poop patrol?
Old 12-04-2011, 17:46   #49

There are two types who get into law enforcement: 1. People who really want to help others. They are the great majority. I have 'em in family, friends and have been one. 2. People who the kids must have beat up in school and are trying to get even, the Napoleon complex, power trip. Most of them don't last very long. You may have encountered the latter before he has done something truly abusive enough to get him tossed. In either case, the best thing to do is to be friendly and cooperative which means stifling the mutt. As intrusive as this kind os s#%t is, it's just the way it is. Remember that a 19 year old with a badge is operating on a level of "conventional morality." He does not have the experience to really make his own decisions as to what is right and wrong. He's doing what somebody else told him to do...with fervor!
Old 12-04-2011, 17:49   #50

Boat: Davidson 46, 14m LOA

Who or what is the FWC???

I've heard of the USCG, but being from NZ am unaware of FWC.
Old 12-04-2011, 18:01   #51

Although I don't agree with the poop patrol the law gives them the right to board. You as the captain are reponsible to keep your crew under control. It doesn't matter if they are human or animal. The cop has a right to protect themselves. Is it really any different if it were a human crew member acting in a threating manner? I've had dogs most of my life it is my responsibilty to make sure they don't threaten others.
Old 12-04-2011, 18:01   #52
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

If i am boarded or attempted to be boarded by any government agency except the USCG i immediately tell the agency that i wish to contact the USCG and have them present. After spending $5000 on a lawyer after an illegal boarding by FWC it came out that they DID NOT have the right to board without consent. I welcome the coasties aboard and have always been impressed by their professionalism and cool headedness. Barney Fife and his pepper spray would have to take up the legality of the boarding with someone who actually knows the maritime law in the USA AKA USCG.Hats off to the coasties.
Old 12-04-2011, 18:19   #53
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
If i am boarded or attempted to be boarded by any government agency except the USCG i immediately tell the agency that i wish to contact the USCG and have them present. After spending $5000 on a lawyer after an illegal boarding by FWC it came out that they DID NOT have the right to board without consent. I welcome the coasties aboard and have always been impressed by their professionalism and cool headedness. Barney Fife and his pepper spray would have to take up the legality of the boarding with someone who actually knows the maritime law in the USA AKA USCG.Hats off to the coasties.
Florida law clearly states under what conditions an FWC officer may board a vessel. The detail given here does not seem to meet those requirements but the description of the actual boarding procedure was not very detailed, so we can't be sure.

The problem that has created a gray area in the law is that in reaction to the 9/11 attack congress gave the authority to the Coast Guard to delegate some of its law enforcement (boarding?) duties to local law enforcement departments. Each of those departments is supposed to have a letter from Homeland Security detailing what duties have been delegated to them. I don't know if the FWC has one of those letters or not, but I would bet that they do. It would be nice to know what duties have been delegated to them. It may be that they are in fact acting in the Coast Guard's stead and do have the right to board. My guess is however that the boarding officer would have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 12-04-2011, 18:28   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Simple food chain thing...dogs have teeth...we have pepper spray and thanks to Mr. Colt a variety of things that put us up at the top if we maintain control.

Working with law enforcement is usually easy if you try also...but based on your response...I don't think you have much respect for LE and they can sense it like your dog can.

The reality is ......most LEOs, postal workers, surveyors, etc..etc all have been scared by dogs at one time....me included... and I've had a dog most of my life... if the owner isn't in control...then they take the initiative.
I hear that the 'lack of repect for LE' is a growing phenomenon. Truely unfortunate
Old 12-04-2011, 18:30   #55
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard L38

Being a Floridian it is my understanding that the FWC officers have been federally deputized, therefore they need no warrant or probable cause to board any vessel. Thomas Jefferson is doing backflips in his grave!
Old 12-04-2011, 18:30   #56

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug86 View Post
Go easy on the popcorn or you'll lose your girlish figure.
Old 12-04-2011, 18:35   #57

Boat: grampian 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phisher View Post
Being a Floridian it is my understanding that the FWC officers have been federally deputized, therefore they need no warrant or probable cause to board any vessel. Thomas Jefferson is doing backflips in his grave!
So what's next, metermaids with guns?
Old 12-04-2011, 20:10   #58

Boat: 1990 Caliber 38

"Being a Floridian it is my understanding that the FWC officers have been federally deputized, therefore they need no warrant or probable cause to board any vessel."

"If i am boarded or attempted to be boarded by any government agency except the USCG i immediately tell the agency that i wish to contact the USCG and have them present. After spending $5000 on a lawyer after an illegal boarding by FWC it came out that they DID NOT have the right to board without consent."

Where is Gord May when we need him? Surely he can tell us where to find the information to reconcile these two positions.
Old 12-04-2011, 21:00   #59

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

During a "mandatory" evacuation for a hurricane, we were loading our van (hatch was up and van half full of luggage) and left the sliding glass door open to the house while we were gathering family pictures and such from inside the house to take with us.

A LEO decided to enter our house without knocking or identifying himself. I heard my dog (border collie) growl and her claws on the floor as she rushed the "intruder". As I turned to see what was going on, the LEO tried to grab her snout, instead he got a mouth full of teeth. Out came the side arm and I stepped between him and my pet, holding her back and shielding her from his aim.

His excuse for entering our house without permission; he wanted to see if we knew we had to evacuate.

Long story short, the LEO and his department tried to have my dog put down as a vicious animal. I had to go to court and the judge sided with me.

I don't care much for the police, nor their "holier than thou" attitude. If a LEO is going to enter a house or vessel, he needs to allow the owners to get their animals under control, or at the very least, ask if they have animals BEFORE entering.

Just me.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply
Old 12-04-2011, 21:02   #60

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowazark View Post
Who or what is the FWC???

I've heard of the USCG, but being from NZ am unaware of FWC.
Florida Wildlife Commision. I.e. park rangers....

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply
Closed Thread

Tags
anchor

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: