Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2013, 17:08   #31

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 36CC, now sold
Re: Boarded by the Coast Guard..Terminated Voyage

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Robin, call the US CG Auxiliary and they will do a free safety check and leave you with a list of items you need if you are short. When you comply they will give you a sticker which will help keep the CG away.
thanks, that sounds like the kind of sensible advice we come here to get. I think there is even a CG contact number on the dock noticeboard at our marina (Halifax harbor) in Daytona Beach so I will call them.
Robin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 17:30   #32

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

When ya DO Pass a shipboard checkout at sea, be sure to keep the reciept from the In charge coastie! and be sure you ask him his name and rank or rate cus half the time you can't read there writeing!! Cus the next time the costies stop ya if ya have it and it's semi recent, they will ask for the name and rate or rank of the signer! and if you know it or can read it! They will go on there merry way !! Just a thought from someone who has been stopped MANY Times
Old 05-10-2013, 17:31   #33
Marine Service Provider

Regarding USCG boardings...

If you have a vessel that is at all unusual, you may expect very frequent boardings. Seems the Coasties especially like to visit interesting, large motor catamarans. Especially trainees at small stations.
FAQs About the Boat

They seem to avoid monohull sailboats, especially if under sail.

If you have been boarded in the last year, or so, you probably will not be boarded...probably. We get boarded at least once a year on the east coast ICW, and have never had a violation. We get hailed by the USCG just about monthly as we move up and down the coast. I definitely feel singled out, especially when there are maybe 10 other vessels within a one mile radius of us.

Last week, I had this radio conversation:

USCG: MV Dyad, this is the CG small boat on your port quarter.
ME: CG small boat, please shift to Channel 22A
USCG ( on 22A): Dyad, this is USCG small boat.
ME: "May 16, 2013"
USCG: Thank you, have a safe voyage.

Bing, That was easy

It will be nice when the USCG gets online data systems aboard their patrol boats, so that they may at least look up the boarding history of a boat they are considering visiting.

This is not a rant, just observation.
All credit to the USCG. They are world-class in long distance offshore SAR, and if I ever need that, I'll be happy they are there.

But I can count my own PFDs.

Dave
bdbcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 17:49   #34
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Marine Trader 36 Sundeck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin3 View Post
thanks, that sounds like the kind of sensible advice we come here to get. I think there is even a CG contact number on the dock noticeboard at our marina (Halifax harbor) in Daytona Beach so I will call them.
Robin, that is good advice to come into compliance with what's required to get the sticker. However, consider that those requirements as the basics and a good foundation. Depending on how, where and how often you use your boat your own requirements to keep you and your boat safe will dictate what additional safety equipment you need..
Old 05-10-2013, 18:06   #35
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Regardless of what the regs say, you really do want to have better PFD's onboard than inflatables and water ski vests.

A USCG approved whistle is a new one to me.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 18:11   #36

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Most inflatables are better than type 1 PFDs unless you expect to be in the water for more than 48 hrs and are worried about a leak.

Many have more buoyancy and the real kicker...most people will have them on all the time or certainly when it makes sense instead of buried like most boaters I know.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 18:36   #37

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
I asked the 6 Coasties last year if their Rum Runners were USCG approved when they left the waterfront bar, they didn't bother to answer but did look quite sheepish, i thought they were heading across the canal to their base and was quite surprised when they headed offshore....

Some day someone will slap a yellow cab sticker on the side of one of their boats,,,
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:04   #38

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

The coast guard approved fire extinguisher thing is simply crap. And dangerous.

We have very expensive halotron and foam fire extinguishers on board. Everywhere and in every cabin and corner of the boat. From cockpit to bow, inside and out.

None of them are coast guard approved. They are approved by every other body that regulates industrial and commercial fire codes - bodies that are more knowledgable about, and concerned with, fires than are the coast guard.

We keep the minimum number of "coast guard approved" extinguishers on board together in a single difficult to access locker for the reason you have experienced. When boarded, we literally dig them out of the back of a locker down deep in a hull and show them to the CG. These extinguishers can be bought in Walmart for $10 and have a 50/50 probability of actually working and extinguishing a fire.

If you do fire one of these "coast guard approved" extinguishers, you can pretty much kiss your engine, electronics and much other gear goodbye - they are deadly to them. You will also have the clean up of your life in front of you simply trying to get rid of the detritus of the fire extinguisher - which is often worse than what is left of the fire.

In my opinion, these dry chemical "coast guard approved" fire extinguishers have no place on a boat. Or at best, a very last line of defense, since they are so inexpensive you can have a large store of them for when everything else has failed and you are simply trying to get through and out a burning boat. The fact that the coast guard puts their approval on them speaks volumes to me as to how I should view their opinion on boating equipment.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:18   #39

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
Regarding USCG boardings...

If you have a vessel that is at all unusual, you may expect very frequent boardings. Seems the Coasties especially like to visit interesting, large motor catamarans. Especially trainees at small stations.
FAQs About the Boat

They seem to avoid monohull sailboats, especially if under sail.

If you have been boarded in the last year, or so, you probably will not be boarded...probably. We get boarded at least once a year on the east coast ICW, and have never had a violation. We get hailed by the USCG just about monthly as we move up and down the coast. I definitely feel singled out, especially when there are maybe 10 other vessels within a one mile radius of us.

Last week, I had this radio conversation:

USCG: MV Dyad, this is the CG small boat on your port quarter.
ME: CG small boat, please shift to Channel 22A
USCG ( on 22A): Dyad, this is USCG small boat.
ME: "May 16, 2013"
USCG: Thank you, have a safe voyage.

Bing, That was easy

It will be nice when the USCG gets online data systems aboard their patrol boats, so that they may at least look up the boarding history of a boat they are considering visiting.

This is not a rant, just observation.
All credit to the USCG. They are world-class in long distance offshore SAR, and if I ever need that, I'll be happy they are there.

But I can count my own PFDs.

Dave
They probably just want a look at your boat. You have to admit it is unique.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:24   #40
cruiser

Boat: Tayana Surprise 45 schooner "Union Pacific"

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Regardless of what the regs say, you really do want to have better PFD's onboard than inflatables and water ski vests.

do non-inflatable jackets expire? i have about 8 off shore jackets, i don't plan to scrap them, but will be getting auto's too.... do i need to buy new every so many years? do they mind if i have extra safety gear that is expired?
(i have solas rockets that are 8 years old)
scoobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:28   #41

Boat: PETERSON 44
Except that the rating should be ABC and the bracket should hold the thing in place . Doesn't seem like its hard to meet that criteria.
Surprised they didn't get you for the bell. Do you have a bell. How about day signals. Did you have those would you have used them if you did.
Some stuff is so not used. Good if you are up on it but the beat down for being so compliant is not real for today's mariners. Some stuff makes sense but other stuff is outdated. The majority are not compliant with some out dated rules.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:30   #42

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdbcat View Post
I feel for you.

What a great boat.
Old 05-10-2013, 19:34   #43

Boat: PETERSON 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobert View Post
do non-inflatable jackets expire? i have about 8 off shore jackets, i don't plan to scrap them, but will be getting auto's too.... do i need to buy new every so many years? do they mind if i have extra safety gear that is expired? (i have solas rockets that are 8 years old)
I keep expired flares in a ammo can marked expired. The updated stuff is separate and in the ditch bag.
Yes in the us you need updated flares that meet the requirement for your vessel. Outdated flares need to be removed , labeled and stored away from your ditch kit. At least that's how I handle it.
Your life ring and jackets probably have dated expiration. If they are expired they don't count.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:39   #44

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post

A USCG approved whistle is a new one to me.

I am confused. Better? We paid well over $100 each for two Suspenders Type 5, CG approved on our boat. Personally, I do not like the inflatables. And sure, a Type 1 jacket provides better survival benefits IF WORN. But again, I guess there are inflatables of many variety.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 19:43   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid at SailAway View Post
The whole situation just left me a little confused. Why would a horn need a coast guard approval but not a whistle? Why do we have to wear the auto inflate jackets to be legal but not the ski type ones?
The horn vs. whistle thing sounds to me like a case of somebody making up the rules as he goes along, but there may be some fine print regulation that I am not aware of. According to these guys, my take on it is correct - http://myfwc.com/boating/safety-education/boat-safety-equipment/vessels-40-to-65-feet/ "must carry an efficient sound-producing device. The sound-producing device need not meet any particular specifications, as long as the vessel can produce signals required by the navigational rules." Over 40 feet, you need a bell & whistle according to these guys - http://www.boatus.com/foundation/guide/equipment_6.html

The part about inflatable vests only counting if they are worn is correct. I read that in the paperwork that came with the last inflatable that I bought. If you have 2 ski vests & 4 inflatables on board, but not being worn, then that counts as 2 vests aboard. If you have 2 ski vests on board, 3 inflatables being worn & 1 inflatable stowed, that counts as 5 vests aboard. It doesn't make sense to me, but that it how the rules seem to be set up these days.
pbiJim is offline   Reply With Quote