Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 02-01-2012, 13:07   #91
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Best Place to Get a Sailing Yacht Registered ?

"what kind of benefits it might have to get an MI registration as opposed to US"
Probably makes it easier to cruise the Marshall Islands. Tradeoff is that it would beharder to cruise US waters, cruising permit required. But of course, if you are in some exotic port like Piraeus and there's a coup d'etat, the great advantage is that the Marshall Islands Defense Forces will come to your aid. :-)

Old 02-01-2012, 14:06   #92
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"what kind of benefits it might have to get an MI registration as opposed to US"
Probably makes it easier to cruise the Marshall Islands. Tradeoff is that it would beharder to cruise US waters, cruising permit required. But of course, if you are in some exotic port like Piraeus and there's a coup d'etat, the great advantage is that the Marshall Islands Defense Forces will come to your aid. :-)
I dont think the US Navys gonna help you ether!

Old 02-01-2012, 15:12   #93
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram
I have that info=, I think most offices are closed I have sent about 50 of these inqures out with only 2 replys this week-
Greetings!
I am currently US citizen with a US Documented Vessel , Delaware-sailing catamaran that I would like to register offshore from the USA-
• Do I need marine insurance and what type of insurance to select?
• I occasionally take on a paying charter-but mostly private use
• I sail in the Greek Islands mostly, but also out of the EU
• I don’t want to pay Vat - would like to bring this vessel back to America, sometime in the future
• I want a country where the costs are low and if I ever wanted to change the country of register
• that it would be easy to do so
• What flag to choose and in which country to register your yacht?
• What is the cost to register the yacht and to maintain registration?
Ram if you take paying charters from anywhere in the EU, you'd better keep flying under the radar. As you infringe dozens of EU tax, maritime and local laws.

The flag and registration country for a leisure yacht owned personally are virtually irrelevant. It's your tax status that determines the situation with the boat.

Dave
Old 02-01-2012, 18:23   #94
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
As an American citizen with irish residency and a French registered boat my understanding of VAT is that the first port of call a vessel makes in the EU is the countries whose VAT rate will be applied should the vessel be imported regardless of eventual countries flag the vessel flies.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2012, 19:28   #95
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ram, US vessel documentation (hell, US citizenship) no longer gets you what it once got. But if you have it, at least there is a chance that the man commanding the big gray boat answering to the Pentagon will help you out. The State Department prefers not to be bothered by stray taxpayers abroad, but sometimes they can be incentivized, motivated, or outright compelled to do it. And sometimes, if you just allow them to be heroes, they gladly step up to the role. Wrong flag? No chance at all.

Of course you could title it in Navassa, you've even got a choice of three parties claiming to be sovereign there.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: