Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2012, 10:35   #1

Boat: Cabo Rico
Bermuda - Rules on Food etc

We are traveling in ARC Europe and the first stop is Bermuda. We would like to provision for our whole trip in the US before we head for Bermuda and stay for a week or so. My questions is, from practical experience is that feasable?

Will customs want to go through all of our food and make us throw out meats etc. I would like to have a freezer full of frozen meet, but am concerned about customs.

I can understand fruits and vegetables, and we would want fresh supplies anyway. But what about the frozen stuff. Any ideas?

Thanks
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 10:58   #2
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold
Re: Bermuda - rules on food etc

I don't recall the customs agent asking us about food, and we had plenty aboard, fresh, canned and frozen. He did ask if I had a flare gun.
Old 21-03-2012, 11:43   #3

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
I don't recall the customs agent asking us about food, and we had plenty aboard, fresh, canned and frozen. He did ask if I had a flare gun.
We did get asked about arms, but don't recall being asked about food either. Bermuda does not have much agriculture so probably not a big issue.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 11:56   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

From Bermuda Customs ➥ http://www.customs.gov.bm/portal/server.pt

Specifically: Foodstuffs

Persons arriving in Bermuda by ship or aircraft are permitted to import as a part of their accompanied passenger baggage up to 50lbs of meat for their own consumption without an "Official Certificate".

The following meats and meat products may be imported in any quantities without an "Official Certificate":

• meat cooked or otherwise prepared (i.e. smoked hams, bacon);

• meat in airtight containers (i.e. canned meats);

• rendered animal fats;

• pies, sausages, or other prepared or manufactured articles of food containing any meat or cooked or dried meat; and

• poultry, game, either whole or predressed and packed. (Refer to Public Health (Imported Meat) Regulations 1956)

• Milk The importation of any of the following dairy products is prohibited except where authorised by the Minister responsible for Agriculture:

• Raw milk

• Pasteurized milk

• Ultra-pasteurized milk

• Ultra heat treated milk

• Manufactured milk (Refer to Importation of Milk (Prohibition) Act 1997)

From Bermuda Customs ➥ Foodstuffs

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 12:38   #5

Boat: Cabo Rico

Thanks Gord.. Sounds like milk could be an issue...

Hud and Belize...we were there in 2007 and I didn't remember any problems with food. I remember the question about the gun because I remember his exact words. Agent: "Do you have any firearms aboard?" Me: "No sir, just our flaregun." Agent: "Just don't take it into the bank with you."
PamlicoTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2012, 15:19   #6

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamlicoTraveler View Post
Thanks Gord.. Sounds like milk could be an issue...

Hud and Belize...we were there in 2007 and I didn't remember any problems with food. I remember the question about the gun because I remember his exact words. Agent: "Do you have any firearms aboard?" Me: "No sir, just our flaregun." Agent: "Just don't take it into the bank with you."
My gun experience there started off with the same question, but to which the owner replied: "Just my AK-47". WTF!! I didn't even know he had a gun aboard all the way across!

The officials were professional about it. They asked him to surrender the weapon -- fortunately he chose to comply. They impounded it and returned it upon his departure.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:07   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Re: Bermuda - Rules on Food etc

I recall being asked about food. They were satisfied with "all kinds of things for personal consumption aboard." No problem.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:42   #8

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
My gun experience there started off with the same question, but to which the owner replied: "Just my AK-47". WTF!! I didn't even know he had a gun aboard all the way across!

The officials were professional about it. They asked him to surrender the weapon -- fortunately he chose to comply. They impounded it and returned it upon his departure.

That's fair.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, food, bermuda