Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-03-2013, 17:33   #1

Boat: Antares 44 catamaran
bahamas cruising permit question

This is my first time cruising in the Bahamas. I (my boat) was given a 3 month cruising permit when I entered in the Abacos. After 1.5 months, I flew back to the states and returned by plane at 3.5 months after my permit started. During this time I left my boat in a marina in Marsh Harbour. When I entered the Bahamas the second time by plane I indicated that I was staying on a boat and the name of the boat. Now I am cruising for 2 weeks and will go back by plane to the US and return in early May for a month of cruising. Then I will put my boat on the hard in Marsh Harbour for 5 months during hurricane season. At the end of October I will return and cruise with the same routine until the next June.

Question. What should I be doing with my permit? I haven't done anything yet.

Thanks in advance...
RickyEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 19:11   #2

Boat: Marine Trader 34DC
Re: bahamas cruising permit question

Ricky, The Cruising Permit FOR THE BOAT is good for a year. After that you may be charged import fees for the boat if it's still there. Your Immigrations status expires after the 90 days and you must renew it to stay in the country legally. It's easy and free but your coming and going might affect that. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
AnchorageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2013, 20:12   #3

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

When I kept my boat there for more than a year, I paid the $500 renewal fee, which I believe you can continue to do for up to three years at which time you must either take the boat out of the country or pay the import duty which I believe is 10%. You can of course pay that duty sooner if you feel you will be keeping it there long term. When I renewed it (Green Turtle), they accepted cash only.

I believe that's still current, but you should double check with official sources. The other problem is that new regulations don't always seem to be enforced the same everywhere. For example, it appear some boat in the 30-35 foot range have been charged the new $300 first entry permit while some have recently been charged the old $150.

With a 44 Cat, I should think you would want to pay the renewal fee, not the duty and take it back to the states before the 3 year limit.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 12:21   #4

Boat: Antares 44 catamaran
Thanks, for some reason my cruising permit reads 6 months. Is this a new regulation and does the 500 renewal start then? I guess I will find out when I go in to renew before 6 months is up...
RickyEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 13:42   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nautical62 View Post
I believe that's still current, but you should double check with official sources. The other problem is that new regulations don't always seem to be enforced the same everywhere. For example, it appear some boat in the 30-35 foot range have been charged the new $300 first entry permit while some have recently been charged the old $150.
I have heard these reports too but none that could be confirmed. We are currently in the Bahamas. Can you give me some first hand accounts of boats being charged the old $150.00 for 30-35 or even the ports where this happened? Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 18-03-2013, 14:06   #6

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterwayguy View Post
I have heard these reports too but none that could be confirmed. We are currently in the Bahamas. Can you give me some first hand accounts of boats being charged the old $150.00 for 30-35 or even the ports where this happened? Chuck
A few comments on that in this thread:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...fee-97449.html

Last time I checked in, it was just before they changed it, so I can't speak from personal experience.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2013, 15:19   #7

I paticipated in that thread but to date I can't find anyone that can say they paid the $150.00 for a boat between 31 and 34 feet AFTER the change took place and where that happened. Chuck

The Trawler Beach House
Voyages Of Sea Trek
Old 19-03-2013, 03:32   #8

Boat: Victory V35 - Beach Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickyEM View Post
Thanks, for some reason my cruising permit reads 6 months. Is this a new regulation and does the 500 renewal start then? I guess I will find out when I go in to renew before 6 months is up...
All the forms say six months. The customs officer should have crossed out the 6 months and wrote in 1 year. The cruising permits are good for 1 year. The $500 is for the second and third years if you leave your boat here. After three years you are required to remove your boat from Bahamian waters or pay duty on the value of your boat.

I have a documented 35' boat and up until this season always paid the $150. When I arrived in December I was charged the $300.

Tags
Bahamas, cruising, permit