Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2011, 13:45   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Awaiting a Captain's License

Anyone else out there on the East Coast waiting for their captain's license to process? Mine has been showing "awaiting MEB" in it's status box for almost a month now. I have even had someone from our local government call in to see if they could speed things along to no avail. When I call in they just say that the medical examiners board is backed up and that it could be a while. I am just wondering what a while is.
unbusted67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 13:56   #2

Boat: Maine Cat 41
A while is 2-3 months perhaps. I'm still awaiting mine and just got another request for additional information giving me 90 days to respond. Technically, mine has already expired now but at least I know it's filtering through the system. I'm retired, so perhaps I'll just have 'em process it without renewing my Tankerman Endorsement except for 'continuity' whatever that does for me... Closing in on two months since the paperwork went in originally.
cchesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 14:07   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
It took me 4 months to get past the MEB this year, but once they were done it was only days before the license arrived.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 14:22   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
It took me 4 months to get past the MEB this year, but once they were done it was only days before the license arrived.
When did you submit? I submitted mine on Dec 10th. My employer is champing at the bit to get me out on the water.
Old 11-01-2011, 14:28   #5

Renewed a year ago, Mine was submitted on Dec 16, ready for MEB review (including waiver request) on Dec 29, and approved by MEB Jan 12th. This is probably an example of "quick" review. I'd think slow would be a month or two. But hard to know since the new medical review procedures are just that, new. And the revised Medical Exam Form has only been mandatory for about a year.

But at least they keep you posted, and actually answer the phone, which is a lot better than the old days.
nolatom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 15:33   #6

I submitted in June 8, then had to submit a bunch of more medical stuff in mid-August, and the license was issued Sept 10. Not as bad as I remembered, but it took a while for me to collect the medical records from the doctors, and I wasn't in any hurry. You might want to give the MEB folks a call to see what is happening.
Old 12-01-2011, 04:27   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by donradcliffe View Post
I submitted in June 8, then had to submit a bunch of more medical stuff in mid-August, and the license was issued Sept 10. Not as bad as I remembered, but it took a while for me to collect the medical records from the doctors, and I wasn't in any hurry. You might want to give the MEB folks a call to see what is happening.
That's what I would like to do but the MEB people have no number, just the dumb CG hot line with civilians answering the phone.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:28   #8

They did respond to an email to

marinermedical@usgc.mil
Old 12-01-2011, 06:34   #9

Boat: rhodes,seafarer,28
You're dealing with the federal government here and the medical corps yet. They'll take their own sweet time and there's absolutly no rushing them. If your medical is o.k.,(you don't have anything wrong with you),once they check your records out your licence is on the way but if you have a condition (poor vision, diabetes,flat feet,a hang nail,etc.) expect another round of paperwork and another visit to the doctor and more waiting. Good luck and don'give up hope.
capt.bobfm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 08:09   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I always try to renew my license 6 months ahead of time. You never really know how long it is going to take. It can vary quite a bit. Making phone calls does nothing to speed up the process. That's just how it works with the USCG licensing process. The people who do this are all good people and want to see it done quickly but their hands are tied by procedures that must be followed. This is combined with the fact that the licensing process is becoming more complex all the time.

Unfortunately, the answer is there is nothing that can be done to speed things up.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 09:20   #11

Boat: Hylas 49, 25 ft O'day Fixed Keel
I also am waiting for MEB. I submitted my application to the local office in Oakland, CA on Dec 16. I also have a medical condition where I had an Aortic Heart Valve replacement done a year ago. My health is good with minor additional issues, taking meds for cholesterol & blood pressure ( very minor dosages). This was a bad valve from birth and it finally caught up with me, (aortic stenosis). I read the USCG health parameters and it should be a passable condition, but I know that they have tightened up the criteria. Anyone passed with additional medical issues lately?
CabezonBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:28   #12

Boat: Irwin 40
Submitted mine in September and I am still screwing around with little medical issues, This time about motion sickness, it just never ends
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 10:37   #13

Motion sickness ! I think maybe this is picking knits. No wonder they're backlogged.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:41   #14

Boat: Irwin 40
Tell me and they do not send all the problems at once if the find something they stop and mail you a letter that you have to mail back so that is a min of 2 weeks. Then they look for another problem and stop, rather than looking at the whole thing and finding all the problems at once and letting you fix them all. It is very frustrating but like the other poster said there is nothing you can do but wait, there is no rushing them
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:40   #15

Welcome to the world of USCG licencing. Every 5 years I swear I'm not doing this again, every time it's worse. Gotta have the TWIC card and it doesn't do anything for anybody. Gotta jump thru hoops when your 25+ years record doesn't mean didly-squat. They got us by the short hairs and we can't do a thing about it !

Tags
license