Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 03:33   #1

Australian rego, licence, MMSI etc for yacht not in Aus

I'm moving back to Aus soon enough, but before then I'll be taking my yacht on an extended cruise that may eventually result in it landing in Aus.

My yacht is currently Swedish registered and for the sake of convenience I could leave it that way even when I'm living in Aus and the boat is still "offshore", however I would prefer to be flying the Australian flag.

The joys of dealing with AMSA for the registration have been well discussed on the forum, but there is less discussions about other issues that will be faced when buying and equipping a yacht OS.

Registration
Some AMSA Registration threads/posts
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post123974
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ia-154155.html

My understanding is that state registration is not required until the boat is in a state. Is that correct?

Licensing
Do I need the Aussie boat licence or radio licence, or will my Swedish equivalents be fine outside of Aussie waters? (I'm assuming yes)

I see that an Aussie radio licence (minimum MROVCP or AWQ) is required to get an MMSI (insert rant about this stupidity here ). I assume and hope that I can just get my father to apply?

Are there any electronic devices that if purchased outside of Aus that might not meet Australian standards and therefore can't be registered to an Aussie boat or used once in Australia?

EPIRB
I have a 3 year old McMurdo G5 406mhz EPIRB on board. Is reprogramming it with the Aussie MMSI all I need to do or could there be other issues?

PLB
I currently have one RescueMe PLB1 on board which I bought in Sweden and registered it with the local authorities.
PLB1 - Ocean Signal
Can I just unregister it in Sweden and register it in Aus or will there be other issues?

I might purchase a 2nd PLB1 but will hold off for now.

AIS MOB
I might purchase some RescueMe MOB1 AIS units. Looking at their site it does appear that I need to make sure I don't buy a using from the wrong country
MOB1 - Ocean Signal

SSB Radio
Not really thinking of getting an SSB but I do wonder if there are any Aussie standards than might dictate which units should be purchased?

Anything else ?

Tags
Australia, enc, yacht