Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-01-2016, 22:59   #1

Boat: Nicholson 31 1982
Australian Registered Ship

Hi, what exactly does a Registered ship mean, and what does it allow
you to do that an Unregistered ships not allowed to do?
Boxertwinjeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 23:22   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Australian Registered Ship

Here is a link that tells you all:
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels/shipping-registration/
It tells you the costs (many $$$), and how to apply.

The following applies only to pleasure boats in Australia, not to commercial vessels.
If you never leave the country then such registration is not needed and has little benefit. Except maybe it is a solid proof of ownership.

If you plan to sail to another country than such registration is mandatory.

Such national registration does not allow you to forego state registration.
Not long ago there was a looong thread on this issue started by 'Haiqu'.

My view is that if the boat you are buying is already on the register, by all means transfer the boat into your name as it is an once only cost of $444.
Australian registration may increase the re-sale value later on, and it allows you to go abroad.

If your boat is not registered, the cost of getting registered is a minimum of $1554. Possibly a waste if you do not plan to sail abroad. And very likely a waste if the boat is not capable to be taken overseas.
Old 20-01-2016, 23:27   #3

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

This is the other thread by 'Haiqu' with lots of information, however that information is quite diluted, and there may be a lot of irrelevant stuff for you.
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ia-154155.html
Old 20-01-2016, 23:45   #4

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

As said above, in a nutshell it allows you to take your vessel on a journey to another country and is mandatory for that.

From the AMSA site:

Quote:
What is the purpose of ship registration?
The purpose of Shipping Registration in Australia is to grant ships Australian nationality. It also allows for Australian ships to fly the Australian National Flag or the Australian Red Ensign in accordance with Australia's obligations under article 91 of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea 1982, to which Australia is a party.

When a ship is registered in Australia it receives legally recognisable Australian nationality, giving it advantages at home and abroad. The ship will be accorded Australian protection on the high seas and in foreign ports.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 00:43   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
As said above, in a nutshell it allows you to take your vessel on a journey to another country and is mandatory for that….
As stated, this is the principle reason for Aussie Registration of recreational boats.

The other (lesser) reason is that it provides irrefutable prove of ownership and/or if other interested parties have any claims against the vessel.

The ownership as stated on the registration certificate can only be changed by Court Order (apart from the usual transfer of title when boat is sold etc).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 00:59   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
As stated, this is the principle reason for Aussie Registration of recreational boats.

The other (lesser) reason is that it provides irrefutable prove of ownership and/or if other interested parties have any claims against the vessel.

The ownership as stated on the registration certificate can only be changed by Court Order (apart from the usual transfer of title when boat is sold etc).
Yep, is very much like a real estate title deed. Downside is transferring title when all the t's aren't crossed or i's aren't dotted can be a prolonged paperwork nightmare. If you sell or buy an Aus registered vessel make damned sure that you do all the correct paperwork including using the AMSA approved Bill of Sale form.
Old 21-01-2016, 01:19   #7

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxertwinjeff View Post
Hi, what exactly does a Registered ship mean, and what does it allow
you to do that an Unregistered ships not allowed to do?

It allows you to call your itty bitty little boat a ship.

It allows you to put yet ANOTHER damned piece of paper in your already overflowing navigation table.

It allows you to enter into mind bending arguments with state authorities on the use of the ON in place of a HIN.

It allows you to spend incredible amounts of time chasing missing bits of paper, to spend incredible numbers of $$$ on replacing those missing bits o paper, and to have AMSA reprint the missing bits of paper at great expense only to keep the aforementioned bits of paper for themselves anyway.

It allows your itty bitty little boat to appear on a list of boats that include things bigger than the QEII.

Oh yeah, and if you make a pretty damn serious navigational error and end up in another country it really helps.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 21-01-2016, 01:46   #8

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

I think the ownership thing is misunderstood.
What it does do if registered in your name is prove that fact alone.
AMSA does not do any diligence on financial ownership of the vessel to my knowledge so could be still under finance etc.
My prior boat was on the register but as we did not intend to take her back OS I chose not to transfer into my name.After about 18 months we decided to sell and the new buyer knowing it was previously on the register wanted it in my name.
Long story short even though it was my boat and fully paid for it was still registered in the prior owners name.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 02:05   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post
I think the ownership thing is misunderstood.
What it does do if registered in your name is prove that fact alone.
AMSA does not do any diligence on financial ownership of the vessel to my knowledge so could be still under finance etc.
My prior boat was on the register but as we did not intend to take her back OS I chose not to transfer into my name.After about 18 months we decided to sell and the new buyer knowing it was previously on the register wanted it in my name.
Long story short even though it was my boat and fully paid for it was still registered in the prior owners name.
You have to have official proof of ownership and transfer basically all the way back to the construction of the vessel. The reason the new owner wanted it in your name was because the chain of ownership was broken. I can assure you he would have went through a paperwork nightmare if he pursued the transfer of registration compared to what it otherwise would have been. Notice that last paragraph below. Legally, that actually has a lot of implications as opposed to, say, state rego which explicitly states something along the lines of that registration is not proof of ownership on the paperwork.

This from...
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels/ship...ster/index.asp

Registration of title in the vessel

When you register your vessel the ownership cannot be overturned by the holder of an earlier interest unless you had notice of that interest when you purchased the vessel. The title of your vessel is recorded on the Register.

Australian nationality for the vessel

A vessel on the high seas is required under international law to have nationality.A registered vessel receives Australian protection on the high seas and in foreign ports.

Ability to sail overseas

It is an offence for an Australian-owned vessel to sail to a foreign port unless it is registered on the Australian General Shipping Register.Vessels purchased overseas by Australians must be registered before they sail for Australia or another foreign country.

Ease of re-sale

Registration will make re-sale easier and can add value to your vessel because the purchaser can be assured of ‘good title’.

Sent from my SGP521 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 21-01-2016, 03:25   #10

Boat: Seawind 1200 TEC 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
You have to have official proof of ownership and transfer basically all the way back to the construction of the vessel. The reason the new owner wanted it in your name was because the chain of ownership was broken. I can assure you he would have went through a paperwork nightmare if he pursued the transfer of registration compared to what it otherwise would have been. Notice that last paragraph below. Legally, that actually has a lot of implications as opposed to, say, state rego which explicitly states something along the lines of that registration is not proof of ownership on the paperwork.

This from...
https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels/ship...ster/index.asp

Registration of title in the vessel

When you register your vessel the ownership cannot be overturned by the holder of an earlier interest unless you had notice of that interest when you purchased the vessel. The title of your vessel is recorded on the Register.

Australian nationality for the vessel

A vessel on the high seas is required under international law to have nationality.A registered vessel receives Australian protection on the high seas and in foreign ports.

Ability to sail overseas

It is an offence for an Australian-owned vessel to sail to a foreign port unless it is registered on the Australian General Shipping Register.Vessels purchased overseas by Australians must be registered before they sail for Australia or another foreign country.

Ease of re-sale

Registration will make re-sale easier and can add value to your vessel because the purchaser can be assured of ‘good title’.

No argument with what you have said or pointed to and have been through the procedure twice.
But in my opinion still after you succeed in transferring into your name by way of their official bill of sale etc you still do not have guarantee there is no other financial interest in the boat as I still believe from what I was told by AMSA they do not check this and rely solely on the bill of sale.
Mirage Gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2016, 03:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage Gecko View Post

No argument with what you have said or pointed to and have been through the procedure twice.
But in my opinion still after you succeed in transferring into your name by way of their official bill of sale etc you still do not have guarantee there is no other financial interest in the boat as I still believe from what I was told by AMSA they do not check this and rely solely on the bill of sale.
I'd file that under due diligence, but you left yourself unnecessarily open by leaving a legal title of ownership in the po's name.

Old 21-01-2016, 17:41   #12

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

The way I understand it, it's similar to real estate. If you buy property and there is no registered mortgage on the title, any debt is not your concern. That's between the lender and the seller, and the lender can't make any claim on you.
Old 26-01-2018, 05:01   #13

Boat: 2005, Dufour 38.5

Can anyone clarify this for me;
I have just had my recently purchased yacht in greece, registered in Aus.
The rego certificate has the new name of the yacht different to the bill of sale but does not state the HIN (i know their office records do)

Now, iam wondering if foreign officials are that onto it? As in, the bill of sale has the OLDvessel name and HIN but aussie rego cert only has a NEW name, No HIN. Do officals try to tie everything together? For all they know the rego papers could be for a completely different boat because there is no unique number tieing the rego cert to the boat. Yes the name is on the boat and cert, although anyone can slap stickers on a boat.

Mabe iam over thinking this haha.
Iam new to this so i havnt had to give any documents to foreign people as of yet.
Ausluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 12:58   #14
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ausluke View Post
Can anyone clarify this for me;
I have just had my recently purchased yacht in greece, registered in Aus.
The rego certificate has the new name of the yacht different to the bill of sale but does not state the HIN (i know their office records do)

Now, iam wondering if foreign officials are that onto it? As in, the bill of sale has the OLDvessel name and HIN but aussie rego cert only has a NEW name, No HIN. Do officals try to tie everything together? For all they know the rego papers could be for a completely different boat because there is no unique number tieing the rego cert to the boat. Yes the name is on the boat and cert, although anyone can slap stickers on a boat.

Mabe iam over thinking this haha.
Iam new to this so i havnt had to give any documents to foreign people as of yet.
First up, let's clarify some terminology to make sure we are understanding everything we are saying.

HIN - Hull Identification Number - usually provided by the manufacturer at the time of production and (in Australia) be located permanently in two places on the hull. One exterior (easy to see) and one below hidden from normal sight. If the exterior one is defaced or altered, the interior one confirms such action. If the vessel is old and made without a HIN (or home built etc), a certified HIN provider can allocate a unique HIN and fit the plates accordingly. These plates are small, maybe 3" x 1" (75mm x 25mm). In Australia they will include the letters AU. Consider them to be similar to a VIN on cars.

Official Number (ON) - issued by the Registrar of Shipping when the national registration is applied for. In Australia, it will be an 8 digit number and has to affixed (permanently) below on the main bulkhead in a large font (technically 4" - 100mm - high) by craving or engraving etc. There is some leeway given to recreational boats which it isn't always possible to use such a large font. Providing the spirit of the regulations are observed, the official checker of "marks" will approve this marking at the time of registration. If the vessel applies for a name change, the ON will NOT change (AFAIK). The new registration certificate will reflect the new name and tie it to the existing ON.

The HIN does not appear on Register of Shipping records.

It gets confusing (in Australia at least) as the vessel be STATE registered anytime it is in Australian waters for 90 days or so (except in the NT) and the state will issue a registration certificate for the state. This usually (always?) includes the HIN. The name is not important and you can change the name as often as you wish - as far as state registration goes. The ON does not appear on state records.

However national registration (as an Australian Registered vessel), the name cannot be changed unless the paperwork is lodged and prior approval is granted by the Registrar of Shipping. The new name then has to be sighted and approved by an official checker of marks. The official name and the ON will always be tied together on the register and on the certificate of registration (national that is).

All that now brings us to you question, while the vessel is travelling internationally, the only paperwork the various countries are interested is the (national) registration certificate which should show the "Registered Name" and the ON. This must match the actual name of the vessel and the actual number engraved on the main bulkhead.

When you say you had "my recently purchased yacht in greece, registered in Aus., was this on the Register of Shipping (as per the AMSA website) or as state resignation (i.e. NSW, OLD) etc.

If though AMSA, then all the boxes should have been ticked and checked and the name and ON fixed to the vessel etc and the a formal certificate provided. This is the only paperwork other countries are interested in.

See https://www.amsa.gov.au/vessels-oper...p-registration
for more detail.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2018, 14:58   #15

Boat: 2005, Dufour 38.5

Thanks for the detailed reply,
Yeah the yacht has been registered with amsa, and all the markings have been done. My real concern was tieing the registration cert to the bill of sale. With nuthing at all tieing the two together when placed next to each other.

But if its just the rego cert they are after everything has been done correctly in relation to the boat as per the marking note. Wich i suppose everything has to have been done right to obtain a rego cert in the first place. ( just wasnt sure if forgein authorities understoon without everthing been done correctly no rego cert would be produced.

I just though a HIN would be on the rego cert. so anyone looking at it could see, he boat name was changed but it is still the same hull ( as the bill of sale )
Ausluke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia