Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 29-07-2013, 08:41   #16

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!
Re: Aussies in French Polynesia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
Actually, we used a trusted travel agent that knew us very well, so they gave us the e-tckets without charging our credit card. They knew it was just for a day or two before we cancelled!!
I might just check if Qantas flies there and see if I can deal with them directly.

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 10:31   #17

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Word of warning about Nuku Hiva... if that's where you do stop... fuel is best done by dinghy as the swell makes the big concrete fuel dock dodgy... and the water is not potable. It is possible to organise a ride to 'good water' with a bunch of jerry cans... or sail to one of the bays either side and dinghy run jerry cans..
Dunno about the other big islands... but I ended up fueling and watering in US Samoa... luckily the SPCZ kept us supplied with water till we got there..
Luckily we make our water as we go so unless it dies on us we won't have a problem. We might need to jerry can diesel though.

Which route did you go? We are thinking Nuku Hiva, Papeete, Fiji, New Caledonia... with a few extra stops along the way. US Samoa any good?

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2013, 11:08   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Luckily we make our water as we go so unless it dies on us we won't have a problem. We might need to jerry can diesel though.

Which route did you go? We are thinking Nuku Hiva, Papeete, Fiji, New Caledonia... with a few extra stops along the way. US Samoa any good?

Vic
american samoa has the cheapest fuel in the pacific

hiva oa,atuona, has a small dock you can go alongside and take good water
,personally it is a better stop than nuka hiva
,felix at the top end of the bay sells fresh vegtables and fruit.
Old 29-07-2013, 18:36   #19

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7

I would very much recommend the Bond letter. As you have observed there can be difficulty obtaining refunds and when obtaining a refund of airfare are the government taxes and charges refunded? Usually not if you make a bona fide ticket purchase and don't think that the local gendarme aren't onto "internet paper" bookings which may cause no end of trouble.
Do not bypass Galapagos. No different in price to any of the Pacific destinations and you may get a nasty shock on arrival in Marquesas getting fuel. There was no fuel available diesel or petrol in Hiva Oa till the supply ship arrived "next month" and that is the beauty of the Pacific that they exist on Pacific timelines.
Old 29-07-2013, 18:54   #20

Boat: Beneteau First 44.7

Actually will re-edit above post Galapagos is much cheaper than Papeete and should not be missed. It is a unique destination.
Suggest you stop at Galapagos, Marquesas, somewhere in the Tuamotu Group. Papeete for a day and exit French Polynesia from Bora Bora or Raiatea. I highly suspect that the Pacific from the West of French Polynesia starts to become a little bit same same with the popular tourist Islands well developed to extract money from tourists. We went direct from Raiatea to Opua NZ as our timeline and weather window dictated but we did make a stop at Minerva reef. From Aus I don't see a great drama in getting back to Fiji and Tonga etc so could comfortable leave those for next time. However everyone asks about Galapagos!
Old 29-07-2013, 19:11   #21
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Aussies in French Polynesia

Vic... I was headed for Perth WA so went over the top... Nuku to Pago Pago to Vanuatu then across the Coral Sea to the Torres Straits...
Some friends stopped at the Galapagos and reckoned it was a rip off... not worth what it cost em. But it was a tick on their bucket list.
But not on my list so kept going... owners of deliveries don't appreciate 'tourist stops'...

Born To Be Wild
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, French Polynesia

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: