Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-09-2013, 06:04   #16
Certifiable Refitter/Senior Wannbe

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Van DeStat Super Dogger 31'
Re: Aussie boat with AIS from the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmo View Post
My AIS is a transceiver version. I want to be seen as well as see. I haven't yet worked out how to get around this bit of bureaucracy. What a crazy thing. I can't properly use my Epirb or AIS cos I haven't got a radio license. The BoatUS site says their MMSI number is not for vessels outside US waters.
Not sure it is correct just to call it bureaucracy.....

You are required to have a licence (radio operators certificate or similar) to operate a marine radio and it doesn't seem a big ask for the regulator (ACMA & ACMA) to want to check that you actually have one before issuing you a MMSI.

I don't know for sure, but I expect they would accept a UK or French version of the same so maybe you can sort it out locally while in the UK or France.

I know I got an MMSI from AMSA without any fuss but then I did have that magic bit of paper from wayback.

Even our US friends who don't ever worry about needing a licence find that they need one if they leave their beloved home waters

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 06:13   #17

Boat: Lagoon 380 "Levanter"

My complaint is that you need the mmsi number to properly operate the AIS and Epirb Geoff. My skipper is well qualified. I don't see why I have to have a radio license to have the other equipment working. Anyway. That's how it is. I just didn't know or anticipate a connection.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:14   #18

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Even our US friends who don't ever worry about needing a licence find that they need one if they leave their beloved home waters
After listening to the many yahoos on the hailing and emergency channel here in the US I bet some of our US friends wished a license was required.
Old 10-09-2013, 06:18   #19
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My complaint is that you need the mmsi number to properly operate the AIS and Epirb Geoff. My skipper is well qualified. I don't see why I have to have a radio license to have the other equipment working. Anyway. That's how it is. I just didn't know or anticipate a connection.
You need a ships radio license , not an operators license actually to get an mmsi

Dave
Old 10-09-2013, 06:20   #20
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
I'd like to know how exactly you got it.... I have been in discussions with Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) who tell me that because I don't have a radio operators licence I have to second an invigilator here in the Caribbean to oversee me sitting an examination. I then have to mail back the results to Australia before they will issue the MMSI. What a joke!!! Firstly they don't realise that it takes 2 months to receive mail from Australia, and secondly they need to realise that they are a safety organisation who should be making these processes easier NOT harder. In the meantime I met someone who said they would program a fake MMSI number and on arrival in OZ told me to blame some Caribbean dude for setting it up....
All you do is get someone with an operators license to request a ships license , it doesn't have to be you. With the ships license comes its legal mmsi

Dave
Old 10-09-2013, 06:33   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Mate, are you sure about the EPIRB??? Run of the mill EPIRB's don't need a MMSI in Oz.

I hear you about the need or otherwise for a operators licence but as you say, that is how it is....

Like I posted, maybe a UK operators licence will make them happy, it is not a difficult thing to get.

Good luck with the whole mission

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
You need a ships radio license , not an operators license actually to get an mmsi

Dave
Dave you may well be correct in the UK but that is not so in Oz.

From AMSA website AMSA :: Australian Maritime Safety Authority

To operate a VHF transceiver with or without DSC fitted, the minimum radio operator qualification required is the Marine Radio Operator’s VHF Certificate of Proficiency (MROVCP). The same requirement exists for AIS transceivers. VHF transceivers and AIS transceivers are covered by an ACMA Class licence, so an individual station licence is no longer required.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 10-09-2013, 07:10   #22

Thanks Geoff. I was just reading the website again. I think there were six different certificates that were acceptable. One was a marine radio operators VHF certificate. There's an RYA course being run in Gibraltar in October. Not sure yet but it might be acceptable.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:33   #23

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Australia may not have invented red tape and bureaucracy but it really seems like they are perfecting it.

When I decided to register my boat in Sweden it was because of the hassles involved in registering in Aus. After reading this thread I now have another reason to be happy about my registration decision. I guess I will have to be wary about the mmsi if/when I ever decide to switch.

I do not understand why the boat owner seems to need the licence just to get the mmsi.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:36   #24
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
To operate a VHF transceiver with or without DSC fitted, the minimum radio operator qualification required is the Marine Radio Operator’s VHF Certificate of Proficiency (MROVCP). The same requirement exists for AIS transceivers. VHF transceivers and AIS transceivers are covered by an ACMA Class licence, so an individual station licence is no longer required.
That is no different from the UK. ( with the exception of the ships license)

What I said was that there is no requirement that you specifically have to apply for the ships license or the MMSI. merely that a licensed operator does. Find a friendly one and apply.

Ships licenses in australia are not required for VHF, but they still can be got for it if you wish.
Dave
Old 10-09-2013, 07:38   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Australia may not have invented red tape and bureaucracy but it really seems like they are perfecting it.

When I decided to register my boat in Sweden it was because of the hassles involved in registering in Aus. After reading this thread I now have another reason to be happy about my registration decision. I guess I will have to be wary about the mmsi if/when I ever decide to switch.

I do not understand why the boat owner seems to need the licence just to get the mmsi.
I'm sorry but what is hard to understand, one has to have the licence to use the VHF / AIS so before giving out the MMSI, the gubbmit wants to see the licence.

The requirement to have a licence before using the radio is an entirely different question
Old 10-09-2013, 07:42   #26

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

I'm sorry but what is hard to understand, one has to have the licence to use the VHF / AIS so before giving out the MMSI, the gubbmit wants to see the licence.

The requirement to have a licence before using the radio is an entirely different question
What if you own a boat and will hire a crew who will have the operator licence?
Old 10-09-2013, 08:18   #27
Nearly an old salt

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ive said it several times, There is NO requirement that the nominated owner of the boat is also the holder of the VHF cert. All that is required for a ships license or an MMSI application is that the applicant hold a VHF license.

dave
Old 10-09-2013, 08:26   #28

Boat: Lagoon 440

Australia do not require a license for VHF anymore.

The vessel does not need a call sign under Australian law.

A MMSI is easy peasy to get and have processed by AMSA.

I'd give them probably a week to process they are the most efficient department.

We bought our EPIRB and registered the AIS to it and asked they note we are in the MED.

NO problemo at all.
Old 10-09-2013, 09:07   #29
Loz

Simmo, if you can wait till you get to Simpson Bay I can give you the name of an electronics wiz who will program an MMSI for you. Im in Grenada and will be sailing straight up there in December to get one myself.
Cheers
Loz
Old 10-09-2013, 09:12   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loz View Post
Simmo, if you can wait till you get to Simpson Bay I can give you the name of an electronics wiz who will program an MMSI for you. Im in Grenada and will be sailing straight up there in December to get one myself.
Cheers
Loz
Thanks Loz. But I'm more than keen to have the AIS transmitting asap. And I thought I was confused yesterday but that was nothin!

Tags
ais

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: