Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-01-2016, 16:13   #46

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: ATTN: Canadians - You now NEED a cruising permit to enter the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Well its about time. Canadians are not very cleaver about controlling their immigration into the US
Actually, Americans are responsible for immigration to the US.
Canadians are only responsible for people entering Canada.

How very "cleaver" of you.

Old 14-01-2016, 15:14   #47

Boat: Casacde 36

As it was explained to me; "don't frustrate yourself by trying to introduce logic into this...".
I'm an American and I have to pay to get back in, because my old boat is over 30 feet long. How this cost more to "process in" has me baffled; or is this a "selective tax"?

Old 03-02-2016, 11:55   #48

Boat: Hunter 386

This was recently sent out by the Point Roberts Marina. It explains it all a bit better:

Quote:
Cruising Permits: Questions and Answers
Many boaters have expressed concerns about a recent press release by Customs and Border Protection (CBP) regarding Cruising Permits for foreign registered or documented boats. We asked CBP for clarification, and both the questions we posed and the answers we were given are listed below.

Q. How do you get a cruising license?

A. Cruising licenses can be obtained at the first port of arrival of the vessel into the U.S. A vessel that is already in the U.S. will not be eligible for a cruising license until it makes its next entry to the U.S.

Q. What is the cost of a cruising license?

A. There is no cost for a cruising license. However, when a foreign-flagged vessel first arrives in the U.S. it will have to file a CBP-1300 (Vessel Entrance or Clearance Statement). There will be a $19 fee for that initial Vessel Entrance form. At that same time, the master of the vessel can apply for a cruising license.

Q. Is the cruising license mandatory?

A. No. No vessel is required to obtain a cruising license. However, a foreign-flagged vessel that is not in possession of a cruising license will have to file a CBP-1300 for any movement in the United States. These movements would include arriving into the U.S., departing from the U.S. and proceedings between ports of the U.S. A fee would be required for each movement.

Q. If they (the boater) have NEXUS, do they need a cruising license?

A. As stated above, there is no requirement for a vessel to have a cruising license. NEXUS is an Alternative Inspection Program that allows approved boaters to telephonically report their arrival to the U.S. Having NEXUS does not relieve the vessel from complying with the laws applicable to foreign vessels arriving at, departing from or proceeding between ports in the U.S.

Q. If a cruising license is not obtained, is there an additional fee to the $27.50 per year to clear?

A. If a foreign-flagged vessel does not have a cruising license then the vessel will have to pay the $19.00 fee each time it enters and departs (the technical word is "clear) from the U.S. The vessel would also have to pay a $19.00 fee for a permit to proceed between ports of entry. If the vessel is over 100 net tons those fees increase to $37.00. Foreign-flagged vessels that previously paid the $27.50 fee for the User Fee Decal are no longer required to obtain a decal if they obtain a cruising license. These new procedures replace that User Fee Decal requirement.

Q. With a cruising license, how do they report in after leaving U.S. waters and re-entering from Canadian waters (on a closed loop trip)?

A. Boaters with a cruising license will report their arrival as they normally do
(including those who are eligible for the Alternative Inspection Program). Masters of vessels will be expected to have their cruising license number available.

Q. How can vessels that are permanently moored in the U.S. comply with the mandatory 15 day period before applying for a successive cruising license?

A. There is no requirement that the vessel be physically removed from the U.S. for 15 days. Our instructions only require that 15 days have elapsed since the previous license expired or was surrendered. A successive cruising license can only be issued when a vessel is arriving in the U.S.

Q. What are the reporting requirements for vessels traveling to islands such as Sucia, Patos, Jones, Stewart and Matia that do not have cell phone coverage, if the vessel does not have a cruising license?

A. CBP includes the San Juans, Anacortes, Bellingham, Point Roberts, Blaine, Port Angeles, Port Townsend and Seattle/Tacoma in its definition of Puget Sound ports. Therefore, vessels without cruising licenses are not required to report their movement between these locations, as they are considered the same port for our purposes
Macblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2016, 12:20   #49

Boat: Mirage 35

Thank you very much for passing this on.

Old 03-02-2016, 12:53   #50

Boat: Alberg 34

I sail Lake Ontario and if your boat is over 30 ft you have to get a cruising permit or decal I still need to enter at a port with customs and check in but believe if you get a Nexus card you can phone in
Regards
Old 11-02-2016, 21:07   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
What a polite friendly comment.
I think his point was not that Americans are bad people but that the US government is putting up an increasing number of hurdles to entry. Those inconveniences do nothing to combat smuggling or illegal immigration, but do deter tourism: which surely must be against American interests.

People have many options, and there is no need to steer them away from visiting the USA.

Quote:
Well its about time. Canadians are not very cleaver about controlling their immigration into the US, nor about terrorists using Canada as a hopping off point(9-11).
And Barrack Obama is a closet Muslim who was not born in the USA …

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Based on numerous reports from skippers, yes, except for the guy(s) at Friday Harbor.
Indeed (see How to get in trouble with US Customs).
Old 08-04-2016, 07:05   #52

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
This was recently sent out by the Point Roberts Marina. It explains it all a bit better:

That list seems very similar to what is already in place. Just a few very subtle changes but essentially, a cruising permit is not required. However, it alleviates the requirement of a foreign vessel to obtain a "permit to proceed" for each subsequent movement after initial clearance. So obviously, having one is much more convenient. Been that way for years.

I notice however that now a 15 consecutive day departure from US waters is no longer required on an annual basis for renewal. It looks like you can simply depart and return the same day then request another cruising permit.
Old 08-04-2016, 07:15   #53

Boat: Jeanneau 36 and C&C 29 MkII

Quote:
Well its about time. Canadians are not very cleaver about controlling their immigration into the US, nor about terrorists using Canada as a hopping off point(9-11). Nice folks, but should be treated like any other foreigner.
I realize this is an uninformed and broad statement but as someone who crosses the border several times a month, I can say that the Americans want to know WHO I am, WHAT am I doing and WHERE have I been? The Canadians seem to be interested in only one thing. WHAT did I BUY while I was outside Canada. It is quite pathetic really.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:16   #54

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete O Static View Post
I realize this is an uninformed and broad statement but as someone who crosses the border several times a month, I can say that the Americans want to know WHO I am, WHAT am I doing and WHERE have I been? The Canadians seem to be interested in only one thing. WHAT did I BUY while I was outside Canada. It is quite pathetic really.
Hmmm, I just crossed the border returning to Canada a few weeks ago at Windsor. I was asked where I'd been, what I'd been doing, where I planned to go, AND what stuff I was bringing across (currency, purchases, etc.).

I've crossed the Can/US quite a few times over the past seven months or so. I can't recall one instance of only being asked about purchases. But maybe I'm a suspicious looking guy.

Tags
cruising, permit

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: