Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-01-2016, 08:49   #16

Boat: Passage 24/30 Cutter
Re: ATTN: Canadians - You now NEED a cruising permit to enter the US

So how might that effect Canadian cruisers like me, who are permanently docked in the USA but live in Canada? ie: My boat is berthed in Point Roberts Marina WA ... I pass through US Customs Border Post every time I go to my boat. So far, I've had no trouble but then I have not been to my boat in this new year as of yet. I have a NEXUS pass, as well as a permit purchased last August when I first moved my boat into US territory.
Sailorbob8599 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:02   #17

Boat: 1955 G L Watson 40' Yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberianhusky View Post
LOL just another reason not to bother with the states, that list is getting very long!
What a polite friendly comment...
Sailing55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:07   #18

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I just started to wade into this, but as a US citizen planning to visit Canada.

Confusing doesn't begin to cover it! Not sure if I need a DTOPS sticker, LBO card, SVRS registration, NEXUS card, or what.

Clearing back into the US is my bigger concern. I very likely won't be able to hit one of the official ports of entry in the first 24 hours, so I'd very much like to be able to get cleared with just a phone call.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:08   #19

Well its about time. Canadians are not very cleaver about controlling their immigration into the US, nor about terrorists using Canada as a hopping off point(9-11). Nice folks, but should be treated like any other foreigner.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:40   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Well its about time. Canadians are not very cleaver about controlling their immigration into the US, nor about terrorists using Canada as a hopping off point(9-11). Nice folks, but should be treated like any other foreigner.
That sounds like "54 40 or fight."
RigelKent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 09:51   #21

Quote:
How would Canada "control immigration into the US"? I was under the impression that US Customs and Border Patrol was responsible for that...works the same way entering Canada...at least in my experience.
Old 12-01-2016, 09:58   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
How would Canada "control immigration into the US"? I was under the impression that US Customs and Border Patrol was responsible for that...works the same way entering Canada...at least in my experience.
Coordination of no fly lists, sharing of intel on those leaving Canada, leaving huge chunks of the border unsecured on the Canadian side, limited monitoring of profiled foreigners in Canada and tracking of their movements. Long list.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05   #23

Boat: Hunter 386

Quote:
Coordination of no fly lists, sharing of intel on those leaving Canada, leaving huge chunks of the border unsecured on the Canadian side, limited monitoring of profiled foreigners in Canada and tracking of their movements. Long list.
Not to get into a pissing match here, but isn't the USA supposed to be the home of the free and leader in the ideal of non-government interference. This stuff (and much of what homeland security gets up to these days) sounds more appropriate to a totalitarian regime than the U.S we hear so much about...

But back to the point, I have no problem jumping through hoops to cross borders. It would just be nice if the hoops were clearly marked. The virtually unlimited powers of search and seizure of border guards always makes me nervous and I hate acting like an idiot at border.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:05   #24

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
I don't really want my government handing my personal data over to a foreign government thanks very much. Canada may be less of a surveillance state than the US but I think that's a good thing?

Almost every 'terror' incident in the US comes from domestic terrorists anyway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macblaze View Post
But back to the point, I have no problem jumping through hoops to cross borders. It would just be nice if the hoops were clearly marked. The virtually unlimited powers of search and seizure of border guards always makes me nervous and I hate acting like an idiot at border.
Agreed - however I've found that for whatever reason, the border guards at the marine crossings are always very nice and respectful. Certainly a lot more so than those at the airport/land crossings.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:18   #25

Quote:
I've been thinking for a few minutes, but in all honesty I can't think of how to respond to your suggestions...but the idea of living my life in fear of government is unacceptable.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:20   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
Agreed - however I've found that for whatever reason, the border guards at the marine crossings are always very nice and respectful. Certainly a lot more so than those at the airport/land crossings.
In my case, the border guards at the marina are literally the very same people I deal with when crossing the land border ... you see, the marina is only 3km down the road from the land border and, as the requirements at the marina are few and far between, they send people from the land crossing on a phone call from the customs dock and yes, I recall they are much more friendly on the dock than at the land border ... Chameleons maybe?
Old 12-01-2016, 10:27   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post

Based on numerous reports from skippers, yes, except for the guy(s) at Friday Harbor.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 10:38   #28

Quote:
I would challenge you to tell us when did you last hear of a "Canadian" performing a terrorist act in the United States ... that is, apart from the time we burned down your White House?
Old 12-01-2016, 11:19   #29

Boat: Rafiki 37
ATTN: Canadians - You now NEED a cruising permit to enter the US

Quote:
Originally Posted by morven55 View Post
I've been thinking for a few minutes, but in all honesty I can't think of how to respond to your suggestions...but the idea of living my life in fear of government is unacceptable.

Nicely put, I agree. And just to add, none (as in zero, nada, zip) of the 9/11 hijackers crossed into the US from Canada. It's a myth.

But thanks for the info on the need for a cruising permit. I always try and respect the laws of the land I am a visitor in, even those I think are onerous or unnecessary. I'm a visitor, after all.

Why go fast, when you can go slow
Old 12-01-2016, 12:12   #30

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Wonder how this affects me(guess I'll need it when I launch) I'm on the hard in Buffalo, refitting. also the form provided doesn't work well for us recreational boaters! it asks for a cargo clasification! but oh well, not my country.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruising, permit