Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2013, 08:11   #31

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Another Schengen Thread

KVB you are rendering an opinion based on your logic and reasoning and limited experience like it is fact.

Consider the following, as it is really quite simple. The harbor I was referring to in Portugal has a customs and immigration office and at least 4 officials working out of it. We entered the harbor with a US flag displayed. They watched us enter and immediately directed us to their dock. They then checked our paperwork, etc. No Q flag required. Customs and immigration in each Schengen signatory country can check your paperwork whenever they feel like it and at random.

It was the only inspection during our cruise through Schengen countries in Europe...Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France, Spain and Portugal where the word Schengen was articulated.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 08:54   #32

Always wanted a Schengen, but couldnt find room for one on the boat.... was also worried about the current draw on the batteries...... and what anchor to use with it..... oh and of course whether I should carry firearms while deploying the Schengen..... :>)

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 11:49   #33

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
KVB you are rendering an opinion based on your logic and reasoning and limited experience like it is fact.

Consider the following, as it is really quite simple. The harbor I was referring to in Portugal has a customs and immigration office and at least 4 officials working out of it. We entered the harbor with a US flag displayed. They watched us enter and immediately directed us to their dock. They then checked our paperwork, etc. No Q flag required. Customs and immigration in each Schengen signatory country can check your paperwork whenever they feel like it and at random.

It was the only inspection during our cruise through Schengen countries in Europe...Sweden, Denmark, Germany, France, Spain and Portugal where the word Schengen was articulated.
I don't dispute this. Now assume that you hadn't been on a Schengen visa, but on a temporary French residence permit. What do you think could have happened?
They can check you paperwork. But if you are on a temporary residence permit, not on a Schengen visa ( or waiver) there will be no Schengen stamp in your passport, so no ticking Schengen clock.

That's all I am claiming here, that getting a temporary residence permit in a Schengen country is a workaround to the 90 days in 180 limit.
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2013, 12:54   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by K_V_B View Post

That's all I am claiming here, that getting a temporary residence permit in a Schengen country is a workaround to the 90 days in 180 limit.
Yes but ONLY in that country.

Dave
Old 23-08-2013, 07:14   #35

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Here in Australia where you can go around a whole continent on the same passport - and, as an Aussie citizen, even have the right to stay and work in NZ for as long as you like (and vice versa) - this whole Shengen thing just looks like a pile of steaming crap.

One possible solution that opened up last year was Spain's proposition to provide citizenship to anyone paying more than EU160,000 for a house. They have a surplus of about 700,000 of them since the building crash of 2008. It was looking like a pretty good thing for a while until some ass-clown decided to change it to EU500,000 instead. Besides, you'd never be able to sell it again, ever.

No easy solutions I'm afraid. The world is mad.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 07:35   #36
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by haiqu View Post
Here in Australia where you can go around a whole continent on the same passport - and, as an Aussie citizen, even have the right to stay and work in NZ for as long as you like (and vice versa) - this whole Shengen thing just looks like a pile of steaming crap.
But for folks in Europe the Visa scheme works ok (especially the no Visa thing!) , but for you simply same as when I come to Oz........I get "rules" that I either suck up or not bother with (by not arriving).........the way around that is probably a reciprocal arrangement, but OZ probably don't want a couple of hundred million folks all turning up at once. and staying!
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 08:25   #37

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Quote:

So it's mad that you are limited to three months in Europe, but not mad that I am limited to three months in Australia?
Old 23-08-2013, 08:36   #38

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

we sailed over in may - arrived in the azores and spent way to much time there but had a great time and the customs guy was great when we went to sao miguel and told us to check out when we sailed the 800nm to portugal -- we did then checked back in again - we are in spain now and did a road trip to madrid so while there went to the national police and asked for an extension - they were really nice but said we had to leave spain (go to portugal) go to the spanish embassey and get a visa then they would extend -- on the other side they and the local national police said just stay - but we just don't want to do that as we feel uncomfortable about viloating their laws and told them so - we told them we are from the usa and have 5-10m illegals and we would not be illegal -- they did laugh at that and really tried to help us -- we have about 2-4 weeks on our visa depending on which date you use as the national police gave us more days than we think we have -
we will head up the spanish coast tomorrow and do a quick run thru the balerics then over to sardina for a check out of the eu as we understand the spanish may look at our passports a bit harder than the italians - then we are headed to tunisia for the winter
the national police were very sympathic with our desire to winter over in spain but could not help us unless we left and applied out side spain - we may try that in tunisia with the greeks

just our thoughts and opinion
chuck patty and svsoulmates
in la linea spain
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2013, 09:05   #39
Nearly an old salt

Quote:

Just like you in Oz . I can go around the whole of the EU , stay as long as I like , I can work , buy property. Etc

Your point ?

Dave
Old 25-08-2013, 18:16   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
But for folks in Europe the Visa scheme works ok (especially the no Visa thing!) , but for you simply same as when I come to Oz........I get "rules" that I either suck up or not bother with (by not arriving).........the way around that is probably a reciprocal arrangement, but OZ probably don't want a couple of hundred million folks all turning up at once. and staying!
Difference is that you'll get a cruising permit for 12 months, not 90 days.

As for millions turning up and staying, we had just that in the 1970s and even subsidised them. Ever heard of the Ten Pound Tourist?

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
Old 25-08-2013, 18:19   #41

Quote:
So it's mad that you are limited to three months in Europe, but not mad that I am limited to three months in Australia?
Yes, that would be mad. A permit for 12 months is easy here, unless arriving in an ad-hoc fashion. Even then they'll give you 3 months and allow extensions.

Old 25-08-2013, 18:27   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Just like you in Oz . I can go around the whole of the EU , stay as long as I like , I can work , buy property. Etc

Your point ?

Dave
It's all about the 90 day limit. To travel halfway around the world then have to shift around between Shengen and non-Shengen regions because of some bureacratic nonsense makes the trip difficult at a time when you'd want to be relaxing and checking out the sights, doing boat maintenance and so on.

The right to buy property is the same in most places, I can buy a house almost anywhere. Doesn't mean I'm allowed to live there though. Some countries, through economic necessity rather than enlightenment, are now relaxing this, and that was the thrust of my message above. Unfortunately Spain did a backflip on a very good idea, but there's still the possibility of residency in Latvia for EU70,000 I suppose. Trouble is it's not really a cruising destination.

As for working, this is restricted in most (all?) regions where you don't have the right of residence and is outside the bounds of the discussion. A cruiser is expected to have some independent income or savings, no matter their origin or destination. Not to say that I wouldn't like to see that change either, but it is what it is for now.

You'll find that working in Australia for 12 months on a tourist visa is fairly easy, btw, as long as you're under 30yo. Lots of French backpackers here the last couple of years, traveling the fruit picking circuit. Typically they buy a van or station wagon ('estate' for the English) and live in it. This is perfectly legal.

Old 26-08-2013, 02:00   #43

Quote:
Yes, that would be mad. A permit for 12 months is easy here, unless arriving in an ad-hoc fashion. Even then they'll give you 3 months and allow extensions.
And can I then spend 5 months in New Zealand with this permit?
Old 26-08-2013, 03:13   #44

Quote:
And can I then spend 5 months in New Zealand with this permit?
No. But then again Schengen entry won't give me access to many countries in the med either. There are different rules of entry to NZ for citizens of Australia and some Pacific nations.

You'll find NZ is fairly easy going, standard entry is for 90 days and can be easily extended to 9 months while there by filling in a few forms.

Old 26-08-2013, 03:48   #45
Nearly an old salt

NZ and OZ visitors need to look at individual EU country immigration facilities. IN most case NZ and some OZ residents can available of 3-6 months visa in each country effectively giving you years in the med.

Dave