Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2012, 05:44   #16

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
Re: Anchoring off a public beach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blissopia View Post
What are these "off-shore rights" you speak of?

I was hoping a secret surf spot like Shelly Head a few beaches south of Angourie, which I discovered cruising past a few months back!
Old 08-01-2012, 05:59   #17

Boat: contessa 32

I often anchor off beaches.Usually good holding and a soft bottom if any dragging occurs and they usually are in protected coves or bays.The main attraction besides the bikinis is a chance to go ashore ang get off the boat awhileand eat some beach junkfood like icecream, french fries,pizza,purchase supplies , take a land shower ,or just talk to another person if singlehanding .These are all big treats in a smaller boat without refrigeration,pressure water,and a weary crew that has been aboard for too many days without standing under a tree.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:16   #18

Boat: contessa 32

I should add to my post above : take your dingy to the edge of the swimming area or just outside, and of course check the state of the tide. If tide is falling,best is to anchor (what! you don't have an anchor in your tender?) in the shallows and wade ashore to avoid being left high and dry when tide falls.
Of course if wind is off the beach (ideal) make sure your dingy doesn't get blown off into the wild blue.
Late afternoon when much of the day crowd is packing up and maybe the life guards too,is probaly better than when all is in full swing.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:30   #19

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Can't say about other states...but every beach I've been on in New Jersey it's illegal to come ashore from a boat...swimming or dingy.

Nothing they can do about anchoring unless the lifeguards think you are endangering swimmers...just can't come ashore.

There are some cool wildlife refuges all up and down the East coast that would be fun to walk the beach but are posted "no landing"...so I'm not sure if "not posted" means it's OK...but as they say "ignorance of the law is no excuse". So most places I might check first with locals or Marine Police (coasties probably won't know as it would be outside their jurisdiction in most cases).
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 06:35   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Anchoring off a public beach

And.... the added bonus of supplying something for the land people to 'Ahhhhh...' over is the invariable 2 or 3 cuties who swim out to say 'Hi... is this your boat...?'
No.. they're not all blonde...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 08:25   #21

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Considering the number of times we have seen yachts lying off a beach fronting on the open ocean get into difficulty with a sudden wind shift or squall here in southwest Florida, it is not something I would do. In the bays and coves on the insides of the keys, however, it is something we do routinely. A popular day stop for us is along the southeast side of Egmont Key where we stay about 100 yards off the beach.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 13:28   #22

Boat: Islander Freeport 41' Ketch

There is a boat anchored off the beach in Summerland, Ca. just south of Santa Barbara. I think it's a Westsail 32 and has been anchored forty yards off shore for 8 months. It's a beautiful sight to see it bobbing gently out there as I race past on the freeway coming back from work. I see its dingy on the beach all the time. It's a dangerous part of the commute as I'm sure every other driver is staring enviously out at it too.
ty.gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 13:46   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Considering the number of times we have seen yachts lying off a beach fronting on the open ocean get into difficulty with a sudden wind shift or squall here in southwest Florida, it is not something I would do. In the bays and coves on the insides of the keys, however, it is something we do routinely. A popular day stop for us is along the southeast side of Egmont Key where we stay about 100 yards off the beach.

FWIW...
Isn't that a NUDE beach right there?
Old 08-01-2012, 14:07   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

One of the most hilarious experiences I ever had anchoring off a swimming beach was on New Years day in Vancouver, BC. years ago. We were anchored off English Bay with several other fools to watch the Polar Bear swim, an annual event for the crazies in Vancouver. A cannon shot off to begin the head long run into freezing water while we observers afloat kept the hot toddies going and watched the event through binoculars to try and recognize some of our nuttier friends. Suddenly I heard a banging on the hull at the stern of our boat. Running from below up to the cockpit, I heard some splashing and looked over the stern to see a fully clothed bull fighter in a complete 'Suit of Lights' with his Mickey Mouse hat on smiling up at me! I put down the boarding ladder which he promptly climbed and sat down in the cockpit. I poured him a stiff toddy or two and without a word but a big smile, he flipped over the side holding his hat and swam ashore. I never even learned his name... Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 14:38   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
Can't say about other states...but every beach I've been on in New Jersey it's illegal to come ashore from a boat...swimming or dingy.

Nothing they can do about anchoring unless the lifeguards think you are endangering swimmers...just can't come ashore.

There are some cool wildlife refuges all up and down the East coast that would be fun to walk the beach but are posted "no landing"...so I'm not sure if "not posted" means it's OK...but as they say "ignorance of the law is no excuse". So most places I might check first with locals or Marine Police (coasties probably won't know as it would be outside their jurisdiction in most cases).
Panoramio - Photo of Little Egg Inlet
Breaking the law, breaking the law...

Just another reason to speed right past New Jersey...

How about anchoring overnight off a beach? Would that be any different?

I've always wondered why you don't see a lot more boats off the coast at beaches. I would rather anchor there than at a marina.
SunDevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 15:08   #26
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunDevil View Post
I've always wondered why you don't see a lot more boats off the coast at beaches. I would rather anchor there than at a marina.

because they tend to be exposed locations
Old 08-01-2012, 15:58   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by ty.gregory View Post
There is a boat anchored off the beach in Summerland, Ca. just south of Santa Barbara. I think it's a Westsail 32 and has been anchored forty yards off shore for 8 months. It's a beautiful sight to see it bobbing gently out there as I race past on the freeway coming back from work. I see its dingy on the beach all the time. It's a dangerous part of the commute as I'm sure every other driver is staring enviously out at it too.
I have an office in Santa Barbara and during my periodic visits, I stay at the Fess Parker Hotel where my room over-looks the beach to the east of the Pier. There are always a few or more yachts anchored off-shore there, just outside of the surf break, and whenever there is a good storm, several invariably break loose and end up on the beach. This is such a common occurance that the City has little patience and the owner's of boats ashore there are given 24 hours to remove the boats after which City crews move in, drop the rigs if they remain upright, lift the hulks onto flat beds, in whole or in chunks if necessary, and haul them away for disposal. If the officials can find the owners--usually not--they are billed for the "service". It happens every year. Sometimes my partner and I will sit in the bar--which also overlooks the beach--and make bets on which boats will end up ashore. Thus far I'm ahead on that score although that's a sad record, no?
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Old 08-01-2012, 16:02   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
Isn't that a NUDE beach right there?
Just south of Egmont there is a small (and ever diminishing) Key--Sand Key--that was (and may yet be) popular with the power-boat set for nude sun bathing and other less benign behaviors. We stopped there once before we knew the "what's so" of the place and haven't been back since. The behavior frightened the kids and the dogs. Moreover, the water's too shallow.

FWIW...
Old 08-01-2012, 16:15   #29

My family visits Orange Beach almost every year. I've been going there for about 20 years now. I don't believe I've ever once seen a boat anchored off the beach there. Probably because its so unprotected. I always wondered why though until I started sailing.
Old 08-01-2012, 17:48   #30

Boat: Endeavour 42

Is it ok to anchor off a nude beach?

Tags
anchor, anchoring