Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2010, 12:29   #106

Is there a lawyer in the house ??

Sooooo, what legal body would determine how the "shapes of lesser dimensions, but commensurate with the size of the vessel" translates into a size that is acceptable by law for a 50ft vessel? I certainly hope that this isn't left up to the interpretation of the law enforcement officer on the scene ...
D_e_n_n_i_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 16:21   #107

Quote:
Originally Posted by bvimatelot View Post
It shows really that you know what you are doing rather than just playing at it.
Exactly. One can be a competent mariner, or a dabbler. The choice is ours.

In all honestly, in most parts of the world the collision regulations are not enforced unless and until there is an actual collision. They are widely ignored, and not just by recreational vessels either (consider all those large commercial vessels that don't maintain a proper lookout and never give way to sailing vessels [might is right!]). But that doesn't mean that it is the right thing to do.

P.S. Related thread: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ball-5389.html.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2010, 20:29   #108

Mini Day Mark Signals
Notes on the Anchor Ball - Internationally recognized signal for use on a vessel, less than 20 meters in length, when at anchor; Dimensions: 11.7" diameter.

Full regulation size: Day Mark Signals

Taking the time to learn and follow the statutes is a matter of general competence that improves safety and can avoid fines. I never cease to be amazed at law enforcement officers who don't have a clue about the statutes they are charged with enforcing. Granted, it's usually the rooky onboard that is put on the spot by the others to ask the boater questions, but when the inquiries obviously don't apply to your vessel, it can be frustrating wnen you expect greater competence. Don't get me wrong, there are plenty of competent, courteous law enforcement officers, but I've run into my share of those that have no business trying to enforce marine laws that they haven't taken the time to read. The lack of knowledge can reflect badly on anyone. I guess one of the few things worse are ambigous statutes
D_e_n_n_i_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2010, 15:17   #109

To be fair, the Collision Regulations are quite detailed and require considerable time and effort to acquire a firm mastery. The great majority of law enforcement officers are not professional seaman, and it is not really surprising that they do not know much about the Regulations.

What I find frustrating about law enforcement people is not that they are largely ignorant of legal matters, but that they fail to realize that fact. I.e., they rely on some half-remembered lecture from their training, or "department policy", as gospel. As any lawyer knows, the law is much more complicated than that.

The only definitive legal answer is an opinion (preferably recent) by a court of competent jurisdiction (preferably at the appellate level), addressing the specific point at issue.

All that said, when dealing with the police it is usually best not to 'play lawyer' but to smile politely and be respectful. Whether they are ultimately right or wrong is not nearly as important as the fact that they have the immediate power to make life difficult.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 06:25   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

The LED light has a built-in light sensor which switches it off and on more reliably than I do,
Cheers,

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II lying Coasters Retreat, NSW, Oz
Anyone having a solar array can make a sunset sunrise switch. Just take two wires before the blocking diode to a voltage regulator and a relay and wire accordingly to any lights that someone whishes to bring on when the daylight dims. Boats have better solar panels and batteries that any garden lights or Xmas decorations.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 07:26   #111
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Boats have better solar panels and batteries that any garden lights or Xmas decorations.

We have all 4! 2 solar panels, Multiple Garden Lights with their own integral solar panels and CHRSTMAS lights with their own solar panel.

I call it Redundancy!

I think all boats need redundancy! Ours is totally redundant! What happens if the boats batteries explode at night when a ship is bearing down on the anchorage being slightly off course, but bugger that, he's still holding the right of way, Anyway I have multiple black balls... Nicolle has cones - multiple and BIG. But they can't be seen at night so we sit on deck all night with Hand Held SQUEEZE-Me-to-make-electricity torches. Now when people sail past I show them my black balls!!!!!!! Nic shines the torch on her cones! No one has crashed into us yet, but many come very, very close!

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 11:00   #112

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
G'Day Mark,
Very good.
Also hope you make it OK for ANZAC Day.
Enjoy.
JOHN
Old 20-04-2010, 13:07   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
but many come very, very close![/FONT][/COLOR]
must be the smell of beer who bring them that close if anything else or just that they can not see your decorations or expect some Xmas present but I do not think that a blind horse is better that one with one eye.
chala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2010, 22:16   #114
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagman View Post
G'Day Mark,
Very good.
Also hope you make it OK for ANZAC Day.
Enjoy.
JOHN

yes In Kabatepe fishing harbour
40 12.062N 26 16.260E
a quiet little place with a small shop 2 resturants(!) beer, and lovely locals who gave us 10 fish yesterday! 10 plump sardines still very much alive!
The little boat behind Nicolle is the one that gave us the fish

Other sail boats in photo are derelict.

This is what cruising is meant to be about

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2876sm.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	15539   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4172094sm.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	311.0 KB
ID:	15540  

Click image for larger version

Name:	P4172118sm.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	181.8 KB
ID:	15541  

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-04-2010, 14:40   #115
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post

We have all 4! 2 solar panels, Multiple Garden Lights with their own integral solar panels and CHRSTMAS lights with their own solar panel.

I call it Redundancy!

I think all boats need redundancy! Ours is totally redundant! What happens if the boats batteries explode at night when a ship is bearing down on the anchorage being slightly off course, but bugger that, he's still holding the right of way, Anyway I have multiple black balls... Nicolle has cones - multiple and BIG. But they can't be seen at night so we sit on deck all night with Hand Held SQUEEZE-Me-to-make-electricity torches. Now when people sail past I show them my black balls!!!!!!! Nic shines the torch on her cones! No one has crashed into us yet, but many come very, very close!

I think this needs to be moved over to my paranoid thread!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 12:32   #116
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75
Re: Anchor Balls and Inverted Cones ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chala View Post
Better not motor with the head sail on.
My masthead light is mounted at my mast head. I have never been able to fathom why sailors locate the light so it is instead a half-way-up-the-mast mast head light.

With that arrangement, the foresail partially obscures the light when motor sailing, and the distance of its visibility is reduced at the lower height. Could this be a case of another dumb and dangerous tradition, or is it just that sailors don't know to use it when motor sailing ("being propelled by machinery")?

The COLREGS specify only a minimum height for the light. There's nothing that says it has to be lower than the mast head.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 12:35   #117
cruiser

Boat: 1963 Pearson Ariel, Hull 75

Suggestion for an anchor ball.

Get a radar reflector, such as the Davis Instruments Echomaster Radar Reflector, paint it black (which does reduce its reflectivity to radar only slightly), and use it as your anchor ball.

Two birds killed with one stone.
Cpt Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2012, 12:38   #118

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Welcome Cpt Pat,

Nothing like coming out swinging, eh?
Old 28-02-2012, 12:48   #119
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cpt Pat View Post
My masthead light is mounted at my mast head. I have never been able to fathom why sailors locate the light so it is instead a half-way-up-the-mast mast head light.

With that arrangement, the foresail partially obscures the light when motor sailing, and the distance of its visibility is reduced at the lower height. Could this be a case of another dumb and dangerous tradition, or is it just that sailors don't know to use it when motor sailing ("being propelled by machinery")?

The COLREGS specify only a minimum height for the light. There's nothing that says it has to be lower than the mast head.

The light reflecting off the sail actually makes it more visible. I am the only person I have ever seen flying a day anchor signal and have only ever seen one sailing vessel fly an inverted cone.
I think the entire topic is a waste of time since all sailors (except 2) seem to ignore these rules
Old 28-02-2012, 13:08   #120

Boat: Ketch, Hardin 45

If your boat is over twelve meters then you better have an Anchor ball or when motoring with a sail up that inverted cone should be hoisted also...
Just minor details in the rules... Though a few examples show a twenty something boat.
But it is your boat and have you ever talked yourself out of a speeding ticket on the highway??
boasun is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor