Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2012, 23:09   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
AMSA Registered Ship

Hello Cruisers,

We have just purchased a boat which is registered with the Australian Maritime Safety Authority as a "Registered Ship". (I think I have that right.)

I confess I had no idea about this register when we bought the boat and now I am belatedly checking if there are any issues I should be aware of. I have read over the comprehensive pages of documents on the AMSA web site and it appears there is no obvious disadvantage.

For the next five years we plan to use the boat in the South Australian Coastal waters with, perhaps, the odd trip to Tasmania. Maybe, after 10 years, if we feel confident and have the time, we would consider New Zealand.

Is anyone aware of any gotchas that might trip a newby like me, and if so, would you please share them with me? Thank you, Matt
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 23:37   #2

Re: AMSA Registered Ship

You should transfer registration to you, relevant forms are on the AMSA site, and you may be able to lodge electronically. From recollection, there are two forms...document of sale, and transfer of registration. The previous owner needs to sign also. I think costs are minimal, if not zero.

The document of sale and new registration are important documents "verifying" your ship, and ownership of it. There are no ongoing costs once registration has been transferred.

No gotchas, unless there is a lien on the registration, in which case you want to find out ASAP.

Registration documents are important, essential if going overseas, and a good selling point if you sell in the future. The previous owner has been remiss in not helping you transfer registration. I would suggest doing it ASAP.

Banjo
banjoship is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 23:42   #3

Boat: Elan Impression 434
Hi First step is: is the registration changed over to your name? It is the best proof of ownership you can get. As far as I am concerned no issue. you must have Australian Registration to leave Australia and travel the high seas.
Far Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 00:55   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

It is very much a positive for you, because to Aust Reg a used boat is an expensive exercise! You have saved yourself.....$1000+!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 01:30   #5

It costs $800 to register as an Autralian ship.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 02:08   #6

Boat: Catalina 42
Talking Re: AMSA Registered Ship

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
It costs $800 to register as an Autralian ship.
More fool me, I paid $1190 into the AMSA Westpac Bank account as requested by Peter Baker of AMSA when I registered my yacht last October.....I'll have to have a few words with him!!!!
Amnesia II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2012, 15:06   #7

Thank you all, that is very helpful.

Phew! That's a relief, I was worried that I might have signed up for a whole lot of extra inspections or the like.

Yes, the paperwork was all done when transferring the boat (or am I supposed to say ship?) into our names and there were no encumbrances on the vessel.

The broker said there would be a small fee from AMSA to cover the transfer into our names, but that AMSA would send me the bill directly. I think I will call them to be sure.

Sounds like I just need to buy a whole lot of new letters for the transom, changing Melbourne to Port Adelaide. THAT is gonna cost a bit... 24 letters, 5 or 6 inches high... darn, that's about $100 or more. :^(
Old 18-12-2012, 17:08   #8

Boat: Lagoon 410 (now sold)

For a recreational vessel, the current fees are $340 for transfer of registration or $1,190 for a new registration. These are "once only" fees and there is no renewal fee. It's $82 for change of vessel name or home port, although (I think) they do not charge these if done at time of the transfer. No inspections are required.

This registration does not replace any required state registration but if you intend to take the boat overseas you must have AMSA registration.

If not traveling overseas, the only benefits I can think of are guaranteed title and the ability to register mortgages against it, which lenders may require.

From AMSA website re guaranteed title.
"Registration gives good title' to the vessel which cannot be overturned by the holder of an earlier interest unless you had notice of that interest when you purchased it."

Brochure - Yachts, Cruisers and Fishing Boats
Old 19-12-2012, 12:45   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amnesia II View Post
More fool me, I paid $1190 into the AMSA Westpac Bank account as requested by Peter Baker of AMSA when I registered my yacht last October.....I'll have to have a few words with him!!!!
Sorry, didn't realise inflation had been so bad since we registered in 2010!
Old 19-12-2012, 12:48   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thank you all, that is very helpful.

Phew! That's a relief, I was worried that I might have signed up for a whole lot of extra inspections or the like.

Yes, the paperwork was all done when transferring the boat (or am I supposed to say ship?) into our names and there were no encumbrances on the vessel.

The broker said there would be a small fee from AMSA to cover the transfer into our names, but that AMSA would send me the bill directly. I think I will call them to be sure.

Sounds like I just need to buy a whole lot of new letters for the transom, changing Melbourne to Port Adelaide. THAT is gonna cost a bit... 24 letters, 5 or 6 inches high... darn, that's about $100 or more. :^(
If the boat's official "home port" of registry is Melbourne, you should leave Melbourne on the transom.

You can check here: Reporting Ship Sourced Marine Pollution Incidents
Old 19-12-2012, 16:38   #11

Sorry, I was not too clear there. The boat is being moved to Adelaide where we live, hence there is also a change of home port and lots of letters. Plus, er... $82 for the transfer of port.

Sigh.

On the upside, we practically live in Port Adelaide, so it is kind of nice having your home suburb on the stern of your boat.

:^)
Old 20-12-2012, 00:36   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Sorry, I was not too clear there. The boat is being moved to Adelaide where we live, hence there is also a change of home port and lots of letters. Plus, er... $82 for the transfer of port.

Sigh.

On the upside, we practically live in Port Adelaide, so it is kind of nice having your home suburb on the stern of your boat.

:^)
It is not a requirement to change the home port; you can live in Adelaide and have a home port of Melbourne (or wherever) - although IIRC there is an "official list" of home ports somewhere and you can only chose from that list.

There are mostly upsides with having the vessel on the Australian register as other posters have mentioned. Apart from the legal protection afforded by the register, you can't leave an Australian port for a foreign port without it.

However there are some downsides as well and you should check your responsibilities very carefully as there are some strict(ish) requirements like changing your address, keeping the markings current (like don't paint over the name and think, I will sort that out next time ). Also the registered ship's agent is responsible for many (paperwork) actions of the ship while it is at sea and so on.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 02:14   #13

Hmmm, that point there about the ship's AGENT has me interested. A bit for me to look into there by the sound of it. I don't remember that coming up in the transfer papers... unless... is it possible I am the agent..? I do have a recollection of there being some extra role I took on, while my wife and I remained equal shareholders...

Unfortunately I do not have the paperwork with me at the moment, I left in Melbourne at a relatives house by mistake, but they are posting it over so I will know soon.

Thank you for the heads-up.
Old 20-12-2012, 03:37   #14

Boat: Franz Maas 37

If you are sole owner, you nominate yourself the agent; this is the preferred arrangement by AMSA. If the boat is jointly owned, you can nominate either of the owners as the agent. The agent's name is of little importance when referring to a recreational rather than commercial vessel.

Providing you choose to do the right thing, there are no disadvantages to having your boat on the Australian Shipping Register (AMSA rego).
Auzzee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-12-2012, 03:40   #15
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Hmmm, that point there about the ship's AGENT has me interested. A bit for me to look into there by the sound of it. I don't remember that coming up in the transfer papers... unless... is it possible I am the agent..? I do have a recollection of there being some extra role I took on, while my wife and I remained equal shareholders...

Unfortunately I do not have the paperwork with me at the moment, I left in Melbourne at a relatives house by mistake, but they are posting it over so I will know soon.

Thank you for the heads-up.
Yep, sounds like you are the official ship's agent and you get to be responsible for handling the paperwork correctly while the ship is away at sea (with, no doubt the owners on board) and paying the crew (including holiday pay)

However here is a guide to real powers and obligations of the registered agent.
The Registered Agent
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is online now   Reply With Quote