Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: How important is it to know/learn the COLREGS?
It is always essential no matter where you sail 57 86.36%
It really depends on where you sail 10 15.15%
More important if you are a professional skipper 7 10.61%
Not important at all, just stay out of the way 0 0%
More important if you sail at night 5 7.58%
Just need to learn the local rules of boating and that will do 2 3.03%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2015, 06:40   #76
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: All things COLREGS no 2

It would appear the is an exception for under 12m on inland waterways only, not international waters. Rule 25(e)

RULE 25 - SAILING VESSELS UNDERWAY AND VESSELS UNDER OARS

(a) A sailing vessel underway shall exhibit:
sidelights;
a sternlight.
(b) In a sailing vessel of less than 20 meters in length the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule may be combined in one lantern carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.
(c) A sailing vessel underway may, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower Green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by paragraph (b) of this Rule.
(d)
A sailing vessel of less than 7 meters in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so. [Inld]
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 08:15   #77

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
It would appear the is an exception for under 12m on inland waterways only, not international waters. Rule 25(e)

RULE 25 - SAILING VESSELS UNDERWAY AND VESSELS UNDER OARS

(a) A sailing vessel underway shall exhibit:
sidelights;
a sternlight.
(b) In a sailing vessel of less than 20 meters in length the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule may be combined in one lantern carried at or near the top of the mast where it can best be seen.
(c) A sailing vessel underway may, in addition to the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) of this Rule, exhibit at or near the top of the mast, where they can best be seen, two all-round lights in a vertical line, the upper being red and the lower Green, but these lights shall not be exhibited in conjunction with the combined lantern permitted by paragraph (b) of this Rule.
(d)
A sailing vessel of less than 7 meters in length shall, if practicable, exhibit the lights prescribed in paragraph (a) or (b) of this Rule, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
A vessel under oars may exhibit the lights prescribed in this rule for sailing vessels, but if she does not, she shall have ready at hand an electric torch or lighted lantern showing a white light which shall be exhibited in sufficient time to prevent collision.
(e) A vessel proceeding under sail when also being propelled by machinery shall exhibit forward where it can best be seen a conical shape, apex downwards. A vessel of less than 12 meters in length is not required to exhibit this shape, but may do so. [Inld]
Hi Monte

yes- apparently you are correct. I don't sail in US inland waterways so I only have learned the international regs.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2015, 08:28   #78
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
And staying out of the way of the big boys before the rules take effect is not contrary to the rules.
WISE: a 1000ft crude oil carrier needs about 4 NM to stop and 1 NM to go round in a circle. So he has not really nuch of a choice. And remeber the stern diverts first and then a looong time later the bow follows.
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 12:17   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by moseriw View Post
WISE: a 1000ft crude oil carrier needs about 4 NM to stop and 1 NM to go round in a circle. So he has not really nuch of a choice. And remeber the stern diverts first and then a looong time later the bow follows.
But these are not the maneuvers used for collision avoidance in open water, not at all. He will make a move somewhere 5 to 10 miles from his CPA with you, and his move will require a few degrees of rudder. The effectiveness of his move is proportionate to his speed – which means twice or three times as effective as yours. That’s another reason why he really will not want you to make up your own rules, and mess up his maneuver by failing to stand on when you’re required.

If you’re going to stay out of his way – that’s great; excellent seamanship, etc. But strictly on the condition that you do this prior to the time when you become obligated to stand on when the Section II rules come into effect – so in open water, more than 10 miles from CPA. To do that, you must be keeping a much better watch than most sailors do, and you will really need AIS to be able to figure out an accurate CPA further out than 10 miles.

In not open water -- just stay out of the channels until the coast is clear. That's all you need to do.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2015, 12:54   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
But these are not the maneuvers used for collision avoidance in open water, not at all. He will make a move somewhere 5 to 10 miles from his CPA with you, and his move will require a few degrees of rudder. The effectiveness of his move is proportionate to his speed – which means twice or three times as effective as yours. That’s another reason why he really will not want you to make up your own rules, and mess up his maneuver by failing to stand on when you’re required.

If you’re going to stay out of his way – that’s great; excellent seamanship, etc. But strictly on the condition that you do this prior to the time when you become obligated to stand on when the Section II rules come into effect – so in open water, more than 10 miles from CPA. To do that, you must be keeping a much better watch than most sailors do, and you will really need AIS to be able to figure out an accurate CPA further out than 10 miles.

In not open water -- just stay out of the channels until the coast is clear. That's all you need to do.
Very true. Excellent point.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2015, 07:55   #81

Boat: 2018 Senesco 110'

There was definitely a "racing rules" flavor to the other thread but that hasn't appear in this one. I don't mind racers but I have difficulty when they use navigational buoys as marks and cross major shipping lanes to use them. I see this every Thursday night in the summer near Execution Rocks as a large race tries to cross tug traffic. Most commercial traffic has made it's required move before most recreational boaters are even aware of the situation. It should also be noted that vessels in the VTS system in the US are exempted from being on channel 16, if you want to establish comms use 13.
Old 22-03-2015, 09:21   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBoater917 View Post
It should also be noted that vessels in the VTS system in the US are exempted from being on channel 16, if you want to establish comms use 13.
Or use the appropriate VTS channel. When I am in Juan de Fuca I monitor Seattle which is 5A.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote