Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Does a vessel ever have Right of Way over other vessels?
No - a vessel does not have 'right of way' 23 36.51%
yes- vessels have 'right of way' depending on the circumstances. 5 7.94%
The COLREGS define who has 'right of way' 4 6.35%
The COLREGS do not refer to 'right of way' at all. 42 66.67%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-03-2015, 08:44   #196
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: All things COLREGS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I think I'll throw another wrinkle into this discussion. That is the difference between a course and a heading. When I learned navigation a course could consist of mutiple legs of different headings. Since the COLREGs require the stand on vessel to hold course, it would seem to cause a problem for the give way vessel if the stand on vessels "course" has a heading change planned. So do the COLREGs really expect the stand on vessel to hold heading and speed or course and speed?

Course - course over ground
Heading - could be anything depending on leeway, currents etc
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:22   #197

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
The stand on vessel is required ot maintain course and speed. He will just have to forego the heading change until after the event.

Now we could add another wrinkle

What if the stand on vessel puts itself into danger by maintaining its course - say a reef up ahead.
You're not required to stand-on into danger. Neither will the other vessel expect you to do so, but here is a good case for getting on the VHF to agree maneuvers with the other vessel, so that will know which way you intend to turn.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:36   #198

Boat: Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You're not required to stand-on into danger. Neither will the other vessel expect you to do so, but here is a good case for getting on the VHF to agree maneuvers with the other vessel, so that will know which way you intend to turn.
A fresh can ' o worms...

Dockhead, I give you...

MGN ' 167 Dangers in the use of VHF for Collision Avoidance'

Duct Tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 09:42   #199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
This opens a whole bag of worms. I am about to get some real book learning. This should keep us busy until the end of the year...

I hope so!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
BTW - This is not a send up. 11 questions sounds dumb for one photo but everyone on the water should be able to resolve this on the boat in 30 seconds or less.

I am sure we will debate it for days...
Excellent!

I must be a sick b....d, since I like these discussions.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:40   #200

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Hoisting a singnal flag X followed with E or I
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 11:43   #201

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
The original question was not limited to a specific rule - or from my reading of it, to the international colregs. The poll asked does a vessel ever have 'right of way' - if that vessel is downbound on the Great Lakes etc, then it has right of way. The other part of my original post was that 'right of way' is not written in the IRPCS, but as a concept it could be argued to exist within them - to illustrate that I chose to discuss the 'not impede' rule from IRPCS. I don't know how you think parts of the IRPCS should be excluded from the discussion.

Oh nonsense - one is not exclusive of the other. I live in a western democracy - I have many "rights", including that of freedom. Do I not have obligations? Of course I do - I'm obliged to obey the law. If I don't abide by those obligations, I might find my right to freedom curtailed.

I said I was out, but I still had wifi this morning. That's likely to change, so it may be awhile before I'm able to respond.
If a vessel is downbound in a current on the great lakes it has precedencce. If it's downbobound on Sake St Claire, Pellee Passage, Huron Cut, open water etc this mod doesn't apply.

It has to do with the unbound vessels ability to station keep in the current, not the direction of travel.

I know this isn't necessarily pertinent to the discussion, unless traveling on the lakes.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 12:04   #202

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duct Tape View Post
A fresh can ' o worms...

Dockhead, I give you...

MGN ' 167 Dangers in the use of VHF for Collision Avoidance'

Yes, I frequently cite that myself. There are many dangers using VHF in lieu of proper action according to the Rules. But this is one exceptional case where can be really helpful.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 11-03-2015, 12:34   #203

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
I think I'll throw another wrinkle into this discussion. That is the difference between a course and a heading. When I learned navigation a course could consist of mutiple legs of different headings. Since the COLREGs require the stand on vessel to hold course, it would seem to cause a problem for the give way vessel if the stand on vessels "course" has a heading change planned. So do the COLREGs really expect the stand on vessel to hold heading and speed or course and speed?
Exactly. How does one boat know the other boat's intentions? How does it know I plan to turn to port to enter a marina?

Most importantly, what makes you think that the other boater knows the regulations and interprets them the same way you do?
Old 11-03-2015, 12:57   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Exactly. How does one boat know the other boat's intentions? How does it know I plan to turn to port to enter a marina?

Most importantly, what makes you think that the other boater knows the regulations and interprets them the same way you do?
You should have a reasonable estimate of his intentions because he should be making bold alterations of course in order to communicate his intentions. If he s headed on a fairway there's a reasonable probability he intends to turn into the channel upon reaching the fairway.

If you observe its usually pretty apparent when a vessel intends to enter a marina or port.

There are standard interpretations of the regulations that most commercial mariners are familiar with as well as many learned recreational sailors- many of those standard interpretations are being discussed here (and argued against).

Refer to rule 8 for guidelines on using your vessel itself for non-verbal communication.

Old 11-03-2015, 13:05   #205

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

There's confusion here between "course" and "route". When you are required to hold your course, you are not allowed to turn, even if you've reached a waypoint and planned to turn according to your route. You must not turn to port into the marina, if you're supposed to be standing on.

How do you know the other skipper knows the rules? Ah, here's the rub. When some people refuse to learn or follow the rules, the whole system breaks down. Successful collision avoidance requires predictability. That's why professionals hate it when we make up our own rules, instead of following the COLREGS.
Walt Whitman
Old 11-03-2015, 14:18   #206

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
I would say that:

Course is the direction a vessel is moving over the ground.
Heading is the direction the boat is pointed
Route is one or more courses traveling from one's start point to one's destination.

I think the intent of the rules is for the stand-on vessel to behave in a predictable manner so in open water they should maintain course and speed and in confined water such as when following a channel, the channel should continue to be followed which would be predictable to anyone carrying the appropriate chart and paying attention to same.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 14:20   #207

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:

Signal flag, E to starboard I to port. Better than VHF,everyone to see even paddle boards. Every boat should have a watch who knows the regulations.
TeddyDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2015, 14:25   #208

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Signal flag, E to starboard I to port. Better than VHF,everyone to see even paddle boards. Every boat should have a watch who knows the regulations.
This sounds a little labour intensive to me. Have you ever seen this done?

Old 11-03-2015, 15:04   #209

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
You should have a reasonable estimate of his intentions because he should be making bold alterations of course in order to communicate his intentions. If he s headed on a fairway there's a reasonable probability he intends to turn into the channel upon reaching the fairway.

If you observe its usually pretty apparent when a vessel intends to enter a marina or port.

There are standard interpretations of the regulations that most commercial mariners are familiar with as well as many learned recreational sailors- many of those standard interpretations are being discussed here (and argued against).

Refer to rule 8 for guidelines on using your vessel itself for non-verbal communication.

I have only once seen turn signals on a boat and that was on a smaller boat designed to be trailered. It had a wiring harness to be connected to the trailer and the boat turn signals and brake lights were synchronized with those of the trailer.

Some boaters will give an indication of their intentions, many more will not. Many operators are distracted by other things and of course there are the boats running on autopilot.

I know how to give indications of my actions.
Old 11-03-2015, 15:14   #210

Quote:
There's confusion have here between "course" and "route". When you are required to hold your course, you are not allowed to turn, even if you've reached a waypoint and planned to turn according to your route. You must not turn to port into the marina, if you're supposed to be standing on.
The problem with that is, you may be forced to continue well past your destination by a passing boat. Most of us would just slow or stop but we know that's against the regulations.

Quote:
How do you know the other skipper knows the rules? Ah, here's the rub. When some people refuse to learn or follow the rules, the whole system breaks down. Successful collision avoidance requires predictability. That's why professionals hate it when we make up our own rules, instead of following the COLREGS.
In my area, it's a given that they do not know the rules and it's a high probability that they are not entirely sober. Also in my area, it's possible to rent boats with no experience necessary. You could say that the system is broken down.

Let's put this in a pipe and smoke it:

On the AICW (in the USA), it's common practice for a faster boat approaching a slower boat to get on the VHF and request a "slow pass". This means that the boat being passed slows to the speed where it can maintain steerage and the passing boat slows down to no-wake speed and completes the pass. The passing boat then resumes speed as does the boat that was passed.

On the surface, this is a direct violation of the COLREGs, yet it's viewed as a common courtesy on the ICW.