Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Can you legally sail solo single handed
Yes, as long as you use all available means to keep a look out 73 61.86%
No, all solo sailors are in breach of the Colregs 33 27.97%
The Colregs are intended for two handed sailors not one 3 2.54%
What's the Colregs? 10 8.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2015, 19:23   #256

Re: All about the Colregs no 3 - single handed sailing and keeping a look out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post

Does anyone know anywhere in the world were it is illegal to sail solo?
I solo sail, but I anchor or dock each night.
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 19:25   #257

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I don't think anyone has claimed sailing solo is illegal, or even 'not a good idea' anywhere in this particular thread, apart from a few obvious tongue in cheek replies
You and I must be reading a different thread. There are those who have said quite clearly that in their opinion that sailing solo breaches the Colregs and there are those who have stated quite clearly that breaching the Colregs can result in heavy fines. If they are not alluding to it being illegal, then what are they suggesting? Then there are those who are claiming it's reckless and selfish though not claiming it's illegal.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 19:35   #258

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Sailing solo doesn't breach the colregs but the act of solo sailing can lead to breaches of the colregs.... as can sailing with a member of the opposite sex.
Old 13-06-2015, 19:43   #259

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Sailing solo doesn't breach the colregs but the act of solo sailing can lead to breaches of the colregs.... as can sailing with a member of the opposite sex.
No, no, not THAT!
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 19:46   #260

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
No, no, not THAT!
Yep, banning that is already on the Nanny State short list...
Old 13-06-2015, 19:48   #261

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I had to think through that. Both of them and your right on both aspects.
Old 13-06-2015, 19:57   #262

I can't remember which thread I referred to Tasmania having the highest number per pop of boats that are never used, but I'll just post this here. This picture is very common in Tasmania. This one has arrived since Christmas so I'd say someone has purchased it recently with the intent of working on it. Though so far I've never seen anyone near it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	derelick boat in tasmania.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	397.0 KB
ID:	103694  
Old 13-06-2015, 20:28   #263

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post
Nah, sailing solo is not the question. Sleeping on watch however is, so is not keepin a lookout.

Pretty basic stuff.
Not just basic, but essential -- especially on a steel cargo vessel doing 20 kts.!

On a small, plastic recreational vessel with radar, AIS, Vhf, alarms? Theoretically some enhanced risk on a multi-day passage where some level of sleep is required. But who bears the risk? Certainly not the steel cargo vessel.

I'm not trying to make light of your disapproval, and also understand the rationale supporting it, but presumably you'd never put yourself in such a situation. So what exactly frightens or disturbs you about this activity engaged in by a relatively few number of sailors in small, lightweight, (relatively) slow-moving sailing vessels? Nobody is proposing it be done on the type of huge, commercial cargo vessel you apparently served on.

The whole point of the Rules, after all, is to avoid collisions. Thus far I'm not hearing about collisions attributable to long-distance solo sailors. I'm sure there are more than a few, but I bet the number attributable to not having add'l crew is miniscule. Meanwhile, and just during the course of this & similar threads, we've heard from 'Wrong' who's successfully circumnavigated the planet, Boaty & Jon E. who have successfully solo'd countless times, and MarkJ who just arrived in NYC in just 12 days from the Caribbean. All anecdotal I know, but damn impressive in my book. Haven't heard of any of them running into anything while asleep either.

You & a couple of others have made valid points about the potential hazards, and I'm sure this will be helpful to those contemplating it for themselves. With no evidence of illegality, no cited instances of the very mishaps you fear, and assuming it is done in a seamanlike manner, I just can't figure why the drums keep pounding.
Old 13-06-2015, 20:37   #264
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. I'm not trying to make light of your disapproval, and also understand the rationale supporting it, but presumably you'd never put yourself in such a situation.
You are right, I have never put myself in such a situation by choice.
Have sailed solo, have lived on sailboats and so on, just never sailed without keeping a lookout.
Guess I am just old fashioned.
To each his own.
Old 13-06-2015, 20:39   #265

Talking Re: All about the Colregs no 3 - single handed sailing and keeping a look out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
I can't remember which thread I referred to Tasmania having the highest number per pop of boats that are never used, but I'll just post this here. This picture is very common in Tasmania. This one has arrived since Christmas so I'd say someone has purchased it recently with the intent of working on it. Though so far I've never seen anyone near it.
She really is going downhill....
Old 13-06-2015, 20:42   #266

Quote:
Thus far I'm not hearing about collisions attributable to long-distance solo sailors.
The most quoted incident, I think.

Quote:
In 1984, Granholm v. TFL Express, the court found a single-handed racer negligent for taking a thirty-minute nap.

The yacht, Granholm, was participating in a qualifying sail for a transatlantic race. With the boat on autopilot, and with all required navigation lights showing, the owner scanned the horizon for ships, set a thirty-minute time, and went below for a nap. Meanwhile, the TFL Express was on autopilot, making eighteen knots; the mate was plotting her position, and the "lookout" was making tea. The Express came up from behind and ran the Granholm down.

The owner of the Granholm sued the Express for her failure to maintain a proper lookout (Rule 5), and for neglecting, as the overtaking vessel, her obligation to keep clear (Rule 13). The court agreed, but placed equal blame on the single-hander, saying, "The obligation to maintain a proper lookout falls upon great vessels and small alike."
jackdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 21:00   #267
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
You and I must be reading a different thread. There are those who have said quite clearly that in their opinion that sailing solo breaches the Colregs and there are those who have stated quite clearly that breaching the Colregs can result in heavy fines. If they are not alluding to it being illegal, then what are they suggesting? Then there are those who are claiming it's reckless and selfish though not claiming it's illegal.
Sailing solo doesn't breach any rules in the COLREGS, I would hope that's clear after all this discussion. COLREGS apply to vessels big and small, from single handed to fully crewed ships as mentioned in the above post.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 21:12   #268
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Thus far I'm not hearing about collisions attributable to long-distance solo sailors.

also there's usually the odd collison in the vendee globe

"FOR the second time in just 48 hours a sailor in the Vendee Globe round the world solo and non-stop race has been involved in a collision with a fishing boat.

Already minus two of the 20 skippers who set sail from France on Sunday, the race last night was shaken up again when French sailor Louis Burton on Bureau Vallee reported he had been involved in an accident at sea around 400nm off the Portuguese coast.

But unlike his rival Kito de Pavant who was forced out of the race with major damage, Burton hopes to resume sailing once he returns to land to effect repairs on his damaged yacht.

" My main emotion is just shock and I am pretty depressed that I have to get back to Les Sables dOlonne," he said of returning to the start port of the race held every four years.

Burton said the accident occurred in 30 knots of win with damage to a port shroud his biggest issue.

There was very poor visibility, rough seas and I had the radar and the AIS (automatic identification system) on,'' he said.

"I was under the canopy to nap a bit and was making about 20 knots. I turned my head and saw a medium sized trawler slide along the hull.

"I grabbed a light to inspect the hull in a panic to see if it was OK. I was relieved but then saw the damage to the shroud.''

The collision came after de Pavant was forced to abandon the race after holing his yacht in a crash with a trawler."
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2015, 21:25   #269

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
The most quoted incident, I think.
Yes, I've read much of the federal court decision from the TFL Express case. The solo sailor was only lightly injured, but his boat eventually sank. No harm to the freighter or her crew, except for economic in the form of being held liable for 50% of a $100,000+ judgment as I recall.

Whether the sailboat had a proper stern light burning was actually a disputed fact, as was whether the freighter was maintaining a proper lookout. The court ultimately found that the sailboat was properly lit, but the yacht skipper admitted he was down below at the time of the collision. The court also found that the crew of the freighter had violated Rule 5 by failing to have a proper lookout as well. This resulted in the equal apportionment of fault to both vessels.

As I recall the yacht had no radar, and definitely no AIS. If it had, then it wouldn't be unreasonable to conclude that the skipper may have been alerted in time. Either way, the only physical harm was to the solo sailor, i.e. his vessel.
Old 13-06-2015, 21:36   #270

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post

also there's usually the odd collison in the vendee globe

"FOR the second time in just 48 hours a sailor in the Vendee Globe round the world solo and non-stop race has been involved in a collision with a fishing boat.

Already minus two of the 20 skippers who set sail from France on Sunday, the race last night was shaken up again when French sailor Louis Burton on Bureau Vallee reported he had been involved in an accident at sea around 400nm off the Portuguese coast.

But unlike his rival Kito de Pavant who was forced out of the race with major damage, Burton hopes to resume sailing once he returns to land to effect repairs on his damaged yacht.

" My main emotion is just shock and I am pretty depressed that I have to get back to Les Sables dOlonne," he said of returning to the start port of the race held every four years.

Burton said the accident occurred in 30 knots of win with damage to a port shroud his biggest issue.

There was very poor visibility, rough seas and I had the radar and the AIS (automatic identification system) on,'' he said.

"I was under the canopy to nap a bit and was making about 20 knots. I turned my head and saw a medium sized trawler slide along the hull.

"I grabbed a light to inspect the hull in a panic to see if it was OK. I was relieved but then saw the damage to the shroud.''

The collision came after de Pavant was forced to abandon the race after holing his yacht in a crash with a trawler."
I probably should have written "Thus far I'm not hearing about collisions attributable to long-distance solo sailors which resulted in damage to, or injuries or deaths on, other vessels." The theory that solo-skippered sailboats posed a risk to other vessels was, after all, one of the big concerns cited by some.

Tags
sail, sailing, single