Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Can you legally sail solo single handed
Yes, as long as you use all available means to keep a look out 73 61.86%
No, all solo sailors are in breach of the Colregs 33 27.97%
The Colregs are intended for two handed sailors not one 3 2.54%
What's the Colregs? 10 8.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2015, 09:37   #211

Re: All about the Colregs no 3 - single handed sailing and keeping a look out

I think it can be done safely as well. however, the legal question only comes into play post incident, because there is nobody out there proactively enforcing the ColRegs for such trivial matters.

If you are only investigated as the result of an incident, then you have not been single handing safely and will likely be charged with some form of negligence, however, this is also true if you weren't single handing.

This is why I don't think it matters whether single handing is legal or not. Don't crash- and you have nothing to worry about- crash and you have failed to maintain a proper look out.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
FamilyVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 09:40   #212

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I think it can be done safely as well. however, the legal question only comes into play post incident, because there is nobody out there proactively enforcing the ColRegs for such trivial matters.

If you are only investigated as the result of an incident, then you have not been single handing safely and will likely be charged with some form of negligence, however, this is also true if you weren't single handing.

This is why I don't think it matters whether single handing is legal or not. Don't crash- and you have nothing to worry about- crash and you have failed to maintain a proper look out.p
Yep. I think that's entirely logical. Certainly single-handing is tolerated. I've never heard of a prosecution. And like everything else at sea, the main thing is to be seamanlike about it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 13:59   #213
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

In the SA forums there is a great video, taken from the deck of a freighter, as it makes its way through a sailboat race in San Francisco Bay. It gives you a great idea of what the skipper can and can't see from the deck. But the most telling part of the forum discussion goes something like this:
A freighter captain was giving a talk to sailors and he asked the audience what the crew of a freighter hears when they hit a sailboat. The audience sat in silence. "Exactly" he said.
Old 12-06-2015, 14:08   #214
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Boat: Sea Hunt 234 Ultra

Quote:
. If there is only one person onboard these vessels then fine. But if there is more than one onboard then they should always have someone on watch.
Different levels of safety depending on how cheap the owner is?

Some poor slob and his family is out there on a liferaft because their 1/2" think hull collapsed when they hit a sleeping whale.
They see your nav lights and shoot their last flare to get your attention..
Oh no, oh no, you don't have to keep a look out as per the rules, because you know better and besides, you don't give a damn and you forgot that all the rules are written in blood.
Keep it up guys, keep building a case for solo offshore passages and don't give a sh!t about the rules of the road..
Old 12-06-2015, 14:29   #215

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post

Some poor slob and his family is out there on a liferaft because their 1/2" think hull collapsed when they hit a sleeping whale.
Oh no, oh no, you don't have to keep a look out as per the rules, because you know better and besides, you don't give a damn and you forgot that all the rules are written in blood.
Keep it up guys, keep building a case for solo offshore passages and don't give a sh!t about the rules of the road..
But considering the alternative there's a better chance a single hander seeing the last flare when he is on the ocean than being a landlubber becouse he's not allowed to sail alone..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:32   #216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foolish View Post
In the SA forums there is a great video, taken from the deck of a freighter, as it makes its way through a sailboat race in San Francisco Bay. It gives you a great idea of what the skipper can and can't see from the deck. But the most telling part of the forum discussion goes something like this:
A freighter captain was giving a talk to sailors and he asked the audience what the crew of a freighter hears when they hit a sailboat. The audience sat in silence. "Exactly" he said.
Geekatlrg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:46   #217
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man View Post

..........and your downstairs taking a dump and didnt wake the wife or the son because they are sleeping.....
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:47   #218

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
Rule 20(b):

(b) The Rules concerning lights shall be complied with from sunset to sunrise, and during such times no other lights shall be exhibited, except such lights which cannot be mistaken for the lights specified in these Rules or do not impair their visibility or distinctive character, or interfere with the keeping of a proper look-out.

This seems to rule out the idea of an anchor light, as jackdale commented earlier.
When is a white light an anchor light? Only when its an anchor light.

It could be a stern light, it could be a small boat under oars,it could be on any one of a thousand small fishing boats around south east Asia, it can be whatever you want it to be.... it can even be just a white light.

Whatever it is... people will give way to it.... and it is far more likely to be seen than red or green.

A thought...... a yacht with a crew of 2 or more, hove too in a hard gale well offshore in a place of limited traffic density... do you think someone is going to be sitting on deck keeping a lookout... I reckon it would be rather unlikely.
Old 12-06-2015, 14:50   #219

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
You would most likely be dead. Can the crew of the other vessel live with that?
I don't believe anyone on the larger vessel is going to feel guilt over the demise of a sailor who was alone and probably asleep. The responsibility is mine. Furthermore, anyone who gets out of bed in the morning may be killed unintentionally by others in many ways. Would you stay in bed fearing that you may cause someone who accidentally ends your life may feel guilty for the rest of their life?

Not a justifiable reason to stay home...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:56   #220

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
I don't believe anyone on the larger vessel is going to feel guilt over the demise of a sailor who was alone and probably asleep. The responsibility is mine. Furthermore, anyone who gets out of bed in the morning may be killed unintentionally by others in many ways. Would you stay in bed fearing that you may cause someone who accidentally ends your life may feel guilty for the rest of their life?

Not a justifiable reason to stay home...
Wrong's point is that a little plastic sailboat is not a hazard to a ship. This is relevant. Single handing creates an infinitesimal hazard to other people's lives, and in my opinion, a very, very small hazard to one's own life, if done in a seamanlike manner.

Has anyone ever been killed, or even injured, by the sleeping crew of a single handed vessel? I've certainly never heard of the case.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 14:57   #221

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
But considering the alternative there's a better chance a single hander seeing the last flare when he is on the ocean than being a landlubber becouse he's not allowed to sail alone..
So true.

Old 12-06-2015, 14:58   #222
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Has anyone ever been killed, by the sleeping crew of a single handed vessel?
I have. 3 times. My funerals were lovely.

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 15:02   #223
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Oh,

The only issues I have with NUC is- as you stated, I'm not sure how it fits into the singlehanding equation, and my boat, and many other pleasure boats aren't equipped with NUC lights.

Most have spreader lights or Christmas lights, neither of which is contrary to the regs, and both improve your visibility. It's the most practical solution I can think of.
Large Vessels of considerable tonnage that can do massive damage if suddenly NUC in busy shipping lanes are fitted with permanent NUC lights for instant deployment.

Ship owners and their insurance companies insist on it as do Superyachts where the same liability concerns justify fixed systems with twin bulb circuits, light failure alarms and configuration that also test displays RAM, FUELING, Synchronized horn/light signaling controlled from the bridge.

A small sailboat does not have the same damage potential so the above system is overkill and prohibitively expensive.

HOWEVER consider this :
if a sailboat became a legitimate NUC in the same busy shipping lane and could not show NUC lights, they cannot then claim NUC status if damaged in a collision.

That is why I have a portable string of 2 reds and a spare inflatable anchor ball to hoist up the flag halyard for that specific reason.

Not a big investment and eminently practical.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 15:10   #224

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
Large Vessels of considerable tonnage that can do massive damage if suddenly NUC in busy shipping lanes are fitted with permanent NUC lights for instant deployment.

Ship owners and their insurance companies insist on it as do Superyachts where the same liability concerns justify fixed systems with twin bulb circuits, light failure alarms and configuration that also test displays RAM, FUELING, Synchronized horn/light signaling controlled from the bridge.

A small sailboat does not have the same damage potential so the above system is overkill and prohibitively expensive.

HOWEVER consider this :
if a sailboat became a legitimate NUC in the same busy shipping lane and could not show NUC lights, they cannot then claim NUC status if damaged in a collision.

That is why I have a portable string of 2 reds and a spare inflatable anchor ball to hoist up the flag halyard for that specific reason.

Not a big investment and eminently practical.
Agreed, brilliant if you have a set. I just think you're probably in a pleasure boating minority in NUC lights on board. By the looks of the boat in your profile, it looks as though you have a pretty good sized boat too, so not surprising it's better equipped then something like, my boat or even smaller.

Old 12-06-2015, 15:42   #225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
By masthead running light, I wasn't quite sure if you were advocating use of what is commonly called the tricolor, or perhaps the steaming light? If it's the tricolor, I take it you mean that running that alone when hove-to -- i.e. without the anchor light & therefore in compliance with the Colregs -- signals another vessel which direction you may be drifting. Assuming I understood you correctly, my only comment would be suggestions some have made that white lights are generally more visible. In your case (if I got it right), it may therefore be difficult to see you except from astern.

Btw, thanks for your earlier suggestion (from one of these current singlehanding threads) about routing yourself 5-20 nm off commonly traveled rhumb lines. That sounds like a prudent & sensible course of action, especially for a singlehander.
Running lights typically have a red and green light. Red denoting port side. Green denoting starboard side. The running lights I mentioned are at the mast head. Masthead running lights. If you go shopping for a masthead running light it will probably be referred to as a tri-colour. The third colour is white and is the stern light. Why nit-pick? If I'd meant a steaming light I'd a said so...

For sure my old incadescent anchor light was very bright. The l.e.d. anchor light isn't nearly as bright. But generally speaking you're going to have to be nearer to see the red/green colours. Still, having been in a crossing pattern with another sailboat more than once - seeing a green and red, one or the other informs me of what action to take. A single white light tells me no such thing. And I want an approaching vessel when I am hove-to to have the same information...
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, single