Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2016, 00:17   #121
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

[QUOTE=Jim Cate;2077498]
Quote:
The USCG monitoring them is not whats beneficial. I dont care what they monitor. The big benefit with AIS is that we, recreational boats can see everyone else and they us, who has it. That's where the real benefit of having AIS is./QUOTE]

In SF Bay, and other crowded areas where yachts and shipping must co-exist, AIS is of limited value much of the time. But, in such areas a careful visual watch is of great value.

Once out the Gate and at sea, the value increases, and when everyone has it, th value is huge. I'm with MarkJ on this o ne.

Jim
So am i
__________________

__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 02:04   #122
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

[QUOTE=Rustic Charm;2077499]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

So am i
Ditto
__________________

__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 02:45   #123
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

I look at it this way, If I am in a country that requires me to comply with their rules I comply. If they say **** in a hole in the floor because that is how we do it here, I will. when they say AIS Transmitters are compulsory then that's what I and most other law abiding cruisers get. To buck the system just because that's the way you role, only F@#ks it up for everyone else.........You know who you are....
__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 03:00   #124
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,828
Images: 2
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I look at it this way, If I am in a country that requires me to comply with their rules I comply. If they say **** in a hole in the floor because that is how we do it here, I will. when they say AIS Transmitters are compulsory then that's what I and most other law abiding cruisers get. To buck the system just because that's the way you role, only F@#ks it up for everyone else.........You know who you are....
Point being it's not "their" rules. Thai small vessels aren't required to comply with anything so it's basicly a BS for foreigners only. And as stated earlier it's not in compliance with the international treaties.

BR Teddy
__________________
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 03:09   #125
Registered User

Join Date: Mar 2013
Boat: 45' CC ketch
Posts: 332
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

I wonder, who issues MMSI to foreign vessels after fitting them with AIS in Thailand or Indonesia?
__________________
Sea Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 03:11   #126
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Point being it's not "their" rules. Thai small vessels aren't required to comply with anything so it's basicly a BS for foreigners only. And as stated earlier it's not in compliance with the international treaties.

BR Teddy
What international treaties would get involved with any 'any' domestic laws?

I missed this esrlier, what post are you referring too?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 03:15   #127
Registered User
 
SimonV's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Brisbane, Australia.
Posts: 1,316
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Frog View Post
I wonder, who issues MMSI to foreign vessels after fitting them with AIS in Thailand or Indonesia?
I just emailed Australia's AMSA and had the proper number withing 24 hours.
__________________
Simon

https://svgoodonya.blogspot.com.au/
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2016, 04:29   #128
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
I just emailed Australia's AMSA and had the proper number withing 24 hours.
We're still trying to get PNG NICTA to issue MMSIs to PNG pleasure craft (been working on it for at least 12 months).

Once they get their act together, we are planning on a bulk purchase for boats at the RPYC. Until then, we're literally in the dark.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 13:42   #129
Registered User
 
TeddyDiver's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Arctic Ocean
Boat: Under construction 35' ketch
Posts: 1,828
Images: 2
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
What international treaties would get involved with any 'any' domestic laws?

I missed this esrlier, what post are you referring too?
Most of them. Thai authorities are free to set any rules they like for domestic vessels. After that it's a matter of debate if they can demand foreign vessels to follow some of them too. What they can't do is to set rules just for the foreign vessels which are more demanding than the rules of domestic vessels.
Not any specific post, just the title of the thread.

BR Teddy
__________________
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 16:48   #130
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Most of them. Thai authorities are free to set any rules they like for domestic vessels. After that it's a matter of debate if they can demand foreign vessels to follow some of them too. What they can't do is to set rules just for the foreign vessels which are more demanding than the rules of domestic vessels.
Not any specific post, just the title of the thread.

BR Teddy
From one Teddy to another what makes you think a nation can't make laws specifically for foreign visitors?

I'm aware of very few areas, and none in relation to marine activities where ANY international treaty or even convention can dictate domestic laws Do you have any examples
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 16:54   #131
Registered User
 
daletournier's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Seychelles
Boat: Catalina 470
Posts: 1,899
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Most of them. Thai authorities are free to set any rules they like for domestic vessels. After that it's a matter of debate if they can demand foreign vessels to follow some of them too. What they can't do is to set rules just for the foreign vessels which are more demanding than the rules of domestic vessels.
Not any specific post, just the title of the thread.

BR Teddy
Ahh...but they can and did! Regardless of technicalities. Their country their rules, if we don't like their view of the world we shouldn't go. It's just no big deal.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 17:29   #132
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Singapore
Boat: Seawind 1160 Lite
Posts: 255
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
We're still trying to get PNG NICTA to issue MMSIs to PNG pleasure craft (been working on it for at least 12 months).

Once they get their act together, we are planning on a bulk purchase for boats at the RPYC. Until then, we're literally in the dark.
Having lived in PNG and had my boat at RPYC I am staggered beyond belief why you would want AIS in PNG waters, crazy stuff , and you are just painting a huge target for trouble of which you would be well aware of. Most boats at the RPYC never go outside the marina.....
__________________
Andrew Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2016, 20:53   #133
Senior Cruiser
 
StuM's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Port Moresby,Papua New Guinea
Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43
Posts: 6,713
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Grace View Post
Having lived in PNG and had my boat at RPYC I am staggered beyond belief why you would want AIS in PNG waters, crazy stuff , and you are just painting a huge target for trouble of which you would be well aware of. Most boats at the RPYC never go outside the marina.....
1. We're sailing down to Cairns again in a couple of days - taking the inside route past Lizard. I'd really like to have AIS on board, especially once I get into the shipping channels inside the GBR.

2. Lots of use for AIS for those that do go out of the marina, especially for those sailing the Long Offshore races and for the Fishoes. To say nothing of SAR.
__________________
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 05:24   #134
Marine Service Provider
 
Factor's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Brisbane Australia
Boat: Corsair Dash MKII
Posts: 4,084
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
Most of them. Thai authorities are free to set any rules they like for domestic vessels. After that it's a matter of debate if they can demand foreign vessels to follow some of them too. What they can't do is to set rules just for the foreign vessels which are more demanding than the rules of domestic vessels.
Not any specific post, just the title of the thread.

BR Teddy
I don't profess to know about every nation, but that is certainly not true for Australia. We make plenty of laws that you and your vessel will have to conform to whilst in Australian waters. Plenty, and we couldn't give a crap where you from or where your vessel is registered..
__________________
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 07:05   #135
Registered User
 
ozskipper's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: NSW Australia
Boat: Traditional 30
Posts: 1,981
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I don't profess to know about every nation, but that is certainly not true for Australia. We make plenty of laws that you and your vessel will have to conform to whilst in Australian waters. Plenty, and we couldn't give a crap where you from or where your vessel is registered..
Agreed. The same goes for NZ. In fact they were one of the first countries that wouldnt allow foreign vessels to exit without NZ minimum safety gear.

It caused a lot of commotion for a couple of years to say the least. But it basically means no safety compliance = no exit.

Side note, it was the direct result of the 1994 storm that took out multiple boats in the June long weekend "bomb" that hit a small fleet of boats sailing from NZ to Numea. Good article on it here The 1994 Queen's birthday storm | Pangolin
__________________

__________________
Cheers
Oz
...............
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
ais, Thailand, yacht

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
AIS AIT2000 from Digital Yachts with GV30 GPS+AIS Antenna SFH Marine Electronics 1 16-02-2014 17:19
Has Thailand changed the Length-of-Stay for foreign-flagged yachts? nhschneider Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 3 27-01-2014 06:18
Compulsory tracking. nonam Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 27 04-01-2009 15:55
Add't'l Reporting Reqts for Foreign Yachts in US Hud3 Rules of the Road, Regulations & Red Tape 7 08-02-2008 07:25
Foreign Yachts and Sailing in Maldives nOv Indian Ocean & Red Sea 0 25-11-2003 13:52



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:00.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.