Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-09-2014, 04:40   #76

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

That is terrible news. If it wasn't for the fact that my wife severely twisted her ankle a few weeks ago, we'd be in that area right now.
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 04:49   #77

Bingo!

I truly don't expect this rule will really be in effect and be enforced come December/January when most of the cruising fleet arrives. Something will have changed by then.

But I fully agree this is about the long term and over stay boats, of which I know of a few. They have really been trying to crack down on people who are there with long ago expired Visa's. Like 10 year old expired Visa's. Seems a lot of people just go to Thailand and never leave.

As I was searching through the Phuket news, I stumbled on another article where they've given all boats currently anchored in Ao Yon bay 2 weeks to remove their boats and find other anchorages in the area. Not sure why, but a couple of those overstay boats I mentioned above are located there.
Old 15-09-2014, 04:51   #78
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectionsv37 View Post

I understand that these units contain the GPS, but you also need to plan for the location of the antenna and a high quality unit would require an antenna and that antenna wire would need to fed through my radar arch and that's not a particularly easy thing to do, spur of the moment. And of course, if done right, would probably also require dome SS welding for a secure and proper mount.
Hi

The antenna is a GPS antenna so does not need to go on the arch at all. It can be at deck level, its best as low as possible. They can look through fibregalss so they can be below out of the weather. Mine is near the nav station on a shelf.

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 05:34   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Ok - This is an Asian thing but there may be a paradox here.

So I check in to Thailand and get a 90 day visa and cruising permit.

I enter Thakang Dsitrict and have 10 days to get AIS transceiver. But I leave in 10 days and go over to Ko Yao District or Thai Mueang District for a few days.

Do I get a 10 day reset if I come back?

In theory I could cruise Phuket waters 10 days at a time.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 05:54   #80
Long Range Cruiser

But the theory falls down in that most spend a season there, stuck in two or three bays and do one cruise around the islands.

Thailand is the end of the road.

Intrepid people sail around the world till they get to Thailand and then have the choice of two horrific ways forward: pirates, or Cape of Good Hope. You can't go back.

So people just stay there where its also affordable. They will tolerate the heat and crap sailing and polluted water because theres nothing else they can do.

Thailand obviously want AIS transceivers so they can keep tabs on boats in a time when the islamicist south, indonesia and Malaysia combine with the problems from myanmar.
If you have AIS transmitting they probably know you are OK and not to shoot you... But without an AIS you are a local so it doesnt matter if they accidentally
shoot you, or you're a bad guy.

Thailand is the end of the road.... Mind you Langkawi is just a short sail south... Or get the guts and take the jump forward.

Old 15-09-2014, 09:28   #81
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yes, MB. I am told that was a Luthansa pilot lined up on the runway at Rhein-Main (Frankfurt) International that actually said that. And a BOAC pilot who reminded him "Because you lost the war, old man."
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 19:49   #82

I have no luck with GPS working on my boat below decks. The hockey pucks won't work nor will my handheld Garmin even with an external antenna attached unless the antenna is above decks. It might have something to do with the insulation material I used in the headliner.

In any event, it goes back to my point of a proper, well thought out installation. AIS transmitters need a reliable GPS signal to accurately report your position. You could say the same about the VHF antenna. It too might work in limited fashion below decks. But it will not work to it's full potential unless both of those antennas are located outside free of obstructions.
Old 24-09-2014, 04:57   #83

Boat: 50'schooner Nigel Irens

Gents,
as the regulation should also apply to all Thai "passenger boat" 25 pax or more , did any one who know Phuket/krabi/phiphi area can imagine a second to have all the speed boat/diving boat/fishing boat/party boat local (chiness owned..) with a 1000 usd stuff AIS working on board ???
regarding safety, fishing boat and fast Thai passenger speed boat are much more dangerous than any sailing (even foreigner..) cruiser ...so, we don't talk about about safety (as in singapore, as they know you well before you enter to Singaporean water..! ) but only about tracking foreigner pleasure boat ..
so wait and see how they will apply this new great idea ...was some pink flag stupidity some time ago.?? gone, and don't forgot, the same peoples are developer/engineering for the "high level international marina " in Chalong...!! so impressive result, a total disaster !!
rgds
bertho
bertho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:39   #84

Boat: 50'schooner Nigel Irens

gents,
more for the local residents..
this the cheaper stuff I find as officially a class B ... for 250 us , can perhaps get a better deal if order by 6 or 12 units deliver free taxes in Langkawi...
not really sure this is working ?? but if this the price to paid to stay in thailand... .can perhaps make nasty interferences??

Marine AIS Transponder w/ SOS Emergency Button HA 102-in GPS Receiver & Antenna from Automobiles & Motorcycles on Aliexpress.com | Alibaba Group
up to you ...

best rgds
bertho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 06:24   #85
Long Range Cruiser

Hang on! Theres no nmea 1083 or usb out on that unit.

There is another with better ones for $250.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:57   #86

Boat: Traditional 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I don't care who tracks me. I am not a criminal. I am not a drug user. I am visiting someone elses country as a guest, visitor, tourist. If thats not good enough I can go to another country.

Or stay home.
One of those moments when CF needs a "like" button!
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 15:09   #87
Long Range Cruiser

This one has just come on the market.
Matsutec HP-33A 4.3" marine GPS AIS transponder, View AIS transponder, Matsutec Product Details from Shenzhen Shenhuayang Electronic Technology Co., Ltd. on Alibaba.com

The company huayang had someone trying to sell them direct onto another forum so the post was deleted as they were not advertising. So get onto Huayang and email them
She was saying they are a bit less than $250
And it has NMEA 1083 and USB

Old 04-10-2014, 15:41   #88
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Quote:
Hi

The antenna is a GPS antenna so does not need to go on the arch at all. It can be at deck level, its best as low as possible. They can look through fibregalss so they can be below out of the weather. Mine is near the nav station on a shelf.

Mark
Think he's refering to the VHF Antenna for the TX stage
Old 04-10-2014, 15:46   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50

Fact Thailand currently has 2 monitoring stations 1 Phuket chalong 2 Krabi deep sea port

Fact 2w of class B transmissions has an effective range of 5-10nm

Satun and Krabi Harbour masters know nothing of this yet

Truth is if you want to misbehave you turn it off

I am moored of Koh Lanta so even if I did put a signal out the Thai marine dept wouldn’t know it

http://www.marinetraffic.com/

PS Ao Yon was cleared as part of the Navy 300m no go area
Old 05-10-2014, 07:15   #90

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Hi

Mark
True, the GPS antenna can be anywhere it can receive. There is a VHS antenna requred for the thing to transmit and receive AIS data. This one's range is entirely dependent on height. Ours is on top of our 80 foot mast. We see the ferry leaving Milwaukee 60 miles away. This brings up an interesting issue for Thailand's requirement. You might consider two antennas, one high for good use in normal places and one low where you might like to have a low range.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, Thailand, yacht