Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-09-2014, 21:25   #61

Boat: Valiant Esprit 37
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

One thing about cruising plans...

They are always subject to change at a moments notice! If this new regulation is still in place come January 2015, I won't be going to Thailand as planned this year. I had plans to do some additional boat work done in Thailand this year, but I'll now plan on that happening in Malaysia.

I currently have a working AIS receiver on board and when it eventually dies I will replace it with a transceiver. But one thing I am not going to do is hastily install a transceiver on my boat to allow me to visit Thailand for 60-90 days.

Cost is not the only issue with a transceiver. Transceivers require a GPS receiver, an additional VHF antenna or $300+ antenna splitter and a lot of labor to properly install a functional unit. When I am ready to install an AIS transceiver it will be on my terms giving proper attention to which unit I choose, how the installation will be accomplished, where antennas will be located, where wire will be run to ensure I have a proper and long lasting, reliable installation.

I'm sure I won't be the only yachtie who decides to skip Thailand this year based on this new requirement. We may not represent much in the way of total tourists dollars for Thailand, but there are a large number of marine industries, restaurants and other businesses that depend on the cruising community.

It's sad to see them hurt by such a hastily made regulation that doesn't cover 95% of the boat traffic in Thailand. This regulation has absolutely nothing to do with safety when local high speed boats and fishing vessels are exempted from the regulation. It appears that Thailand is becoming more and more like Hawaii in regards to cruisers. I don't think they care that much for us!
reflectionsv37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 02:18   #62
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by reflectionsv37 View Post
I currently have a working AIS receiver on board
Maybe you missed this link, sounds like you're fine. Go to Thailand, it's a wonderful country with some of the warmest most welcoming people you'll ever be lucky enough to meet.

http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-...822#ad-image-0
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 02:32   #63

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m

Reflections, that's not quite accurate. Most modern ais transceivers include a GPS unit. Make sure it is programmed with the correct mmsi number, plug it in, plug in the antenna, and you are away. Currently class B transceivers are available from about $550 USD. For a blue water cruiser, its a bit of kit I'd strongly recommend. Be a shame to miss Thailand because of this, its great.
Oh, and for the poster saying too many alarms etc in congested waters, on good units the alarms are fully programmable, and you can sort the targets in order of the threat they pose. I've had over 250 targets on mine with no issues, and no way would I turn it off!

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 14-09-2014, 03:22   #64

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
The latest announcement is that you will only need a receiver. Given the excellent 3G mobile phone coverage in the region why do I need to rent or buy a unit when there are several apps I can down load for my phone for free that will do the same job.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
I'd suggest you not sail in our Bass Strait. Web based apps are way out.

I only have a receiver and it's great. Having visited Puket and other areas several times, I'd say it's got nothing to do with safety and all to do with control. Check out the state of many commercial vessels in Puket, seems to be completely unregulated. Except foreign vessels.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 06:55   #65

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedsherrin View Post
I'd suggest you not sail in our Bass Strait. Web based apps are way out.

I only have a receiver and it's great. Having visited Puket and other areas several times, I'd say it's got nothing to do with safety and all to do with control. Check out the state of many commercial vessels in Puket, seems to be completely unregulated. Except foreign vessels.
Yes, I am aware of its limitations and agree, but it would be no more useless than having a handful of foreign boats transmitting in real time that will spend most of their time moored in a marina.

Some comments have suggested it is all about "control" by the phukhet marine dept. I don't think it is even that. I think it is simply about justifying the huge expenditure on setting up the tracking system and now they have to show that there is a use for it.
To put it another way, they have implemented the solution, now they have to find the problem.
The other thing to realise this regulation applies only in the Phuket region. You can legally sail anywhere else in the country without an AIS. .... seems stupid doesn't it.

But that is the way things are done here. The different Provinces have a high level of autonomy and a corresponding low level of accountability and transparency.

I am not making any accusations of corruption, but given the countries reputation and history the process that is being followed is certainly creating either a perception of a corrupt process or simple incompetence.

Old 14-09-2014, 07:09   #66

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Quote:
One thing about cruising plans...

They are always subject to change at a moments notice! If this new regulation is still in place come January 2015, I won't be going to Thailand as planned this year. I had plans to do some additional boat work done in Thailand this year, but I'll now plan on that happening in Malaysia.

I currently have a working AIS receiver on board and when it eventually dies I will replace it with a transceiver. But one thing I am not going to do is hastily install a transceiver on my boat to allow me to visit Thailand for 60-90 days.

Cost is not the only issue with a transceiver. Transceivers require a GPS receiver, an additional VHF antenna or $300+ antenna splitter and a lot of labor to properly install a functional unit. When I am ready to install an AIS transceiver it will be on my terms giving proper attention to which unit I choose, how the installation will be accomplished, where antennas will be located, where wire will be run to ensure I have a proper and long lasting, reliable installation.

I'm sure I won't be the only yachtie who decides to skip Thailand this year based on this new requirement. We may not represent much in the way of total tourists dollars for Thailand, but there are a large number of marine industries, restaurants and other businesses that depend on the cruising community.

It's sad to see them hurt by such a hastily made regulation that doesn't cover 95% of the boat traffic in Thailand. This regulation has absolutely nothing to do with safety when local high speed boats and fishing vessels are exempted from the regulation. It appears that Thailand is becoming more and more like Hawaii in regards to cruisers. I don't think they care that much for us!
I don't think you will be the first or last with this attitude.

As I point out elsewhere this regulation only applies in Phuket Province. It is not a national regulation.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong but none of the other provinces have implemented mandatory AIS. That means you can sail anywhere else in the country without mandatory AIS just not the most popular.

Old 14-09-2014, 08:57   #67

Boat: Liberty 458

The shotgun approach of mandating new legislation by many governments just shows how incompetent politicians are. The Thai AIS rule is not for safety obviously but an attempt to deal with abandoned vessels as far as I can tell.

These type of knee jerk reactions create undesirable effects. They also create incompatibilities with other nations. The IMO and the UN should be stepping up to ensure these issues are dealt with. I'm not holding my breath. We'll just scratch Thailand off the list.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 09:38   #68
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
We'll just scratch Thailand off the list.
Why?
The last press release was just about having a receiver, which on a blue water boat seems a crazy ommission anyway.
Old 14-09-2014, 20:58   #69

The article you posted is from Sept 5th, you might want to check out this one from Sept 11th after the meeting. Doesn't look like they're backing off on the transceivers.

Phuket Marine chief ramps up AIS tracking order for foreign-registered yachts

We were in Thailand last year and hope too go back this year. But, I won't be going back if I'm forced into a hastily installed AIS transceiver for 60-90 days.
Old 14-09-2014, 21:20   #70

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
Aircraft tower controllers world over speak English. Mainly as a result of American air power through and beyond WW2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Mainly as a result of huge net of British civil air connections before the WW II and immediately after, I dare say...
.....I am a German pilot in a German airplane at a German airport, why do I need to sp..........
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2014, 21:32   #71

As a cruiser with 42k miles under my keel, I don't hastily install equipment on my boat. I like to plan for installations and take the time to research options before jumping for the first lowest cost option I can find.

I understand that these units contain the GPS, but you also need to plan for the location of the antenna and a high quality unit would require an antenna and that antenna wire would need to fed through my radar arch and that's not a particularly easy thing to do, spur of the moment. And of course, if done right, would probably also require dome SS welding for a secure and proper mount.

Same situation exists with the VHF antenna. My current receiver is an Icom black box that has an internal antenna splitter and is connected to the computer for use by OpenCPN. When I eventually move to a transceiver, I will opt for a separate VHF antenna for the unit. Again, further complicating the installation.

I'll wait and do a proper installation of a high quality unit before I get forced into a hasty installation to comply with a knee jerk regulation passed on a whim by a particular jurisdiction that may not even be in effect come January when I planned to visit. It would be a shame not to be able to return to Thailand this year, but in the meantime they might find a way to have portable cell phone units for rent that will satisfy the requirements similar to what Singapore has done.

And your right about being able to program the units to minimize the number of alarms they send. I think OpenCPN has, hands down, the best implementation of AIS of any receiver I've ever seen. When I transited the Singapore Straits a couple of months ago, OpenCPN detected over 800 targets. I had things set to only issue an alarm if a target was going to be within 1/4 mile within 5 minutes. In an area that congested, you don't need to be getting an alarm for a vessel 10 miles away who will be within 2 miles of you in 30 minutes. Set like that the whole screen would turn red!

Had an interesting experience about 6 months ago when coming down the west coast of Malaysia. We were transiting inside Klang harbor when an AIS distress signal went off about 3 miles from our position. It was a real distress signal also accompanied by a DSC signal. A short time later and SAR aircraft target appeared on the screen and was overflying the area. We had never seen that before. The alarm and distress signal went on for hours and hours. OpenCPN kept identifying the alarm and I suspect all other AIS units were doing the same.

After a few hours of this, I noticed I had far fewer targets on the AIS. And I mean far fewer! I noticed I was no longer picking up commercial shipping vessels at anchor that were there just a few minutes earlier. In fact, even though there were hundreds of ships in the area, I was only picking up 30 or 40 targets. At first I thought there was something wrong with my receiver. Then I realized that the guys in the wheelhouse probably got sick and tired of listening to non-stop alarms going off and simply turned their AIS units off!

I captured a screen print of OpenCPN with the distress signal and the AIS aircraft target that overflew the area. I've included it here. You can see the aircraft near the mouth of the river. Was also going to upload a screenshot of Singapore Straits with 874 targets but it's too big to upload.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAR OpenCPN.PNG
Views:	239
Size:	204.6 KB
ID:	88179  
Old 15-09-2014, 00:12   #72
cruiser

Quote:
The article you posted is from Sept 5th, you might want to check out this one from Sept 11th after the meeting. Doesn't look like they're backing off on the transceivers.

We were in Thailand last year and hope too go back this year. But, I won't be going back if I'm forced into a hastily installed AIS transceiver for 60-90 days.
OK, hadn't seen that one. Hopefully there's room for transit boats to be exempt. You never know.
Old 15-09-2014, 01:52   #73

Boat: valiant 40

It's been introduced because someone is going to make money from it anyone who's spent time there knows that, and the fact that so long as there is money to be made the enforcement will continue even after the support network has fallen into disrepair.I believe that eventually it will come down to recivers only that way it will be easier for front line enforcement to issue on the spot fines in the same way the police do now. If this sounds cynical and negative it's not supposed to the system works well and save alot of red tape.
We will be returning to thailand in a couple of months and because we are thai registered we won't need a ais system but we will have to pay a fine to someone who is incapable of issuing a receipt,offence yet to be determined.
Old 15-09-2014, 02:29   #74
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by iancoombe View Post
<snip>
We will be returning to thailand in a couple of months and because we are thai registered we won't need a ais system but we will have to pay a fine to someone who is incapable of issuing a receipt,offence yet to be determined.
Kaching!

The light just came on for me. This is not about AIS at all. This is about the long staying foreign yachts that have not registered (and paid duties etc) on their boats in Thailand.

Visiting Yachts will have 10 days to get AIS installed after arrival - if they arrive without knowing the requirement.

It appears, as all things Thai, one may get a couple of warnings, things are "negotiable" etc. Which is how I expect the "real" visiting yachts to be treated.

The long stayers are the ones I suspect they are after...

And AIS Transceiver is a much bigger deal than a receiver. I think I better start shopping... The day of transceiver required is coming. Everywhere...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2014, 04:18   #75
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Kaching!

The light just came on for me. This is not about AIS at all. This is about the long staying foreign yachts that have not registered (and paid duties etc) on their boats in Thailand...
Could well be a large part of it. Since the coup they do seem to be trying hard to get a grip on the numbers of foreigners in the country and working illegally, though they backed off a little after realising ifl teachers might get scarce if they did that..
Plus signs are they also seem to be making a genuine effort to clear out illegal traders on the beaches and crack down on scams.
Posted from the North sipping a sangsom coke

Awful news from Koh Tao today..

Tags
ais, Thailand, yacht