Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-09-2014, 13:52   #16

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Given that foreign registered yachts are only a small proportion of the dozens of Thai registered charter boats and thousands of tourist and fishing boats all zooming around the place daily and they are not required to install the units then where is the safety value?
Unless of course some brother-in-law of a top maritime dept official has the exclusive import license for the recomended AIS units.
Old 04-09-2014, 13:54   #17

Boat: KP44 #279

Quote:
Originally Posted by monte View Post
I'm not suggesting anyone who doesn't currently use AIS is a hazard, so long as proper watches are maintained its not needed, although its bloody handy in reduced viability, as is radar, just that anyone who doesn't see the future benefit to the whole ocean going community is ignorant and selfish...
I was wondering, now I know. I'm ignorant and selfish!
dlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 14:13   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

Sarayu, if your AIS is 'going off' it probably just means you need to change your settings to suit the area you are sailing in. We rarely have any AIS alarms turned on within 50M of the coast. The AIS targets should just appear as a triangle on your plotter, not something that should be a bother.
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 14:26   #19

Boat: 38 roberts ketch

ha ha, thai govt monitoring of AIS - that'll be fun to see in practice. I just got back from there - those in the know might recognise the provenance of my amended motto for the place - 'same same, but worse'.
charliehows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 14:32   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
I think a lot of folks in 1930s germany and europe felt just as you do today; Mark.

I call Godwin! You lose
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 15:06   #21
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliehows View Post
ha ha, thai govt monitoring of AIS - that'll be fun to see in practice. .

"Vessel Traffic and Management System (VTMS) of Phuket [on Chalong Pier]"

Working on Ao Chalong pier is a death defying stunt in itself

Maybe they've fixed it up a bit since I was there...

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 15:32   #22

Boat: Pearson 34-II

"Why wouldn't anyone want to be a part of such a great system." Monte

Monte,
The reason that they have shepherds is to tend to the sheep. Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa . . . . Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaa . . . . Baaaaaaaaaaaaa
Good luck and good sailing P.S. Love those chops!
Old 04-09-2014, 18:29   #23

Boat: Bristol 34

Hmmm, recognizing this is a international forum, in the US, transponders (IFF) are required on all aircraft, is there really any difference?

Don

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
dandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 18:59   #24

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I don't care who tracks me. I am not a criminal. I am not a drug user. I am visiting someone elses country as a guest, visitor, tourist. If thats not good enough I can go to another country.

Or stay home.
I am a firm believer & user of AIS. Great here where piracy is nearly unknown. What will be our position when the criminals can pick & choose a victim based on who/what you are and how many boats are near you & where the cops are? Perhaps pick the ambush point. They will also know where you are sleeping. Bet the criminals don't operate AIS.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 19:03   #25
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"in the US, transponders (IFF) are required on all aircraft, is there really any difference?"

Assuming that is correct, what makes you think aircraft and ships are governed by the same international treaties & conventions?

Aircraft tower controllers world over speak English. Mainly as a result of American air power through and beyond WW2. Yet somehow, boaters are not required to speak English even when they are in America or England, are they?

Unlike cats, vessels are not all the same.
("Black cat, white cat, all same, catch mice." Chairman Mao Tse-Tung.)
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 19:36   #26

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
Given that foreign registered yachts are only a small proportion of the dozens of Thai registered charter boats and thousands of tourist and fishing boats all zooming around the place daily and they are not required to install the units then where is the safety value?
Unless of course some brother-in-law of a top maritime dept official has the exclusive import license for the recomended AIS units.
Agree 100% absolutely. Anyone who hasn't spent time over here should just shut their mouth. This is NOT USA. This is NOT Europe. This is lightyears away from Singapore. Anyone thinking they can copy something from the west here is out of their mind. This is absolutely nothing but yet another attempt to extract money from foreign yahties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
All foreign yachts in Phuket ‘will have to have AIS system’
Violations of the regulation, it warned, “will result in punishment according to the highest law.”
Notice: it said only FOREIGN YACHTS! Not domestic! "All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others" Anyone who haven't heard that before, well google it. And yes I am angry!
Hell, not all local boat even use nav lights (or ANY kind of lights) at night and now the rotten officials bring this up?? Kiss my ass.

Any westerner crossed the land borders to Thailand may have wondered why people put money notes inside their passports before handing it over to the border control official. Corruption is illegal right? Well guess what? Its an industry of a massive scale here. I can clearly see where this latest product is coming from. Phuket just dropped of my list.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 20:19   #27

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatguy30 View Post
So being tracked 24/7 while onboard your "escape" vehicle is now a great thing?
I do agree with you, I don't like everyone knowing where I am at any given moment. If I have to comply, I will. But I will also exercise the right to turn it off when I feel it might attract an element I'm not interested in attracting. Ultimately we are responsible for our actions.
Where I would want to use it and where it is an advantage for me, is crossing the South Pacific, single handing. I want warning of a ship nearby. Alarms on radar go off falsely all the time...I'd never get any sleep...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 20:41   #28

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I don't care who tracks me. I am not a criminal. I am not a drug user. I am visiting someone elses country as a guest, visitor, tourist. If thats not good enough I can go to another country.

Or stay home.
+1
downunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 20:53   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
I call Godwin! You lose
That was a pretty quick transition from Sailing to Hitler...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 22:03   #30

Boat: Spray Replica

Hi all,

We have recently left Thai waters and what Erik stated I partially agree with. To suggest that this is anything to do with safety is a joke.

There are two probable reasons for this initiative:

1. The Thai Governments crack down on foreign boats illegally chartering and those operating 'marine' companies whilst on tourist visas:

2. And as Erik stated, someone who knows someone has just been awarded an import license for AIS.

It reality it is probably a mixture of both, someone in government trying to enforce the law and someone else in government trying to take advantage of it.

So far as safety goes, well that couldn't be further from the truth. There is hardly a beach in the Phuket area that isn't over crowded with unregulated speed boats, long tails and jet skis. The Phi Phi Don anchorage is now so dangerous that most cruisers just by pass it. The 30' to 40' Ply and glass speed boats have any where up to 4 x 300hp outboards and travel at crazy speeds through anchorages and snorkeling areas. Accidents are common and the government does nothing to regulate the cowboys and they certainly won't be required to fit AIS.

Last year just after the military coup the Government reintroduced the short stay requirements for Foreign Yachts as an attempt to clamp down on illegal charter businesses . The marina we were in at the time was full of long stay and Europeans who would leave their boat and return home during the Monsoon season. Within a month of the rule change the Marina was virtually a ghost town. After local Marina Operators and Marine business owners complained those rules were again relaxed. This latest initiative is likely another way of regulating the foreign boats.

I know it has been a common thread on the forum about tips and plans for earning money whilst cruising, however, this practice inevitably leads to resentment in local communities especially when it's illegal and I for one wish those who don't have the necessary resources to cruise would not jeopardize the reputations of all cruisers by operating below the law.

The actions of a few always bites on us all.

As a side issue those commenting about adjusting AIS warnings to compensate for the local conditions have possibly never transited areas like the Singapore Strait. The only way to adjust is to turn all alarms off. When there are more than 300 contacts within a 10 mile range the only warning that is of any use is a very aware watch keeper.
sobraon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, Thailand, yacht