Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-03-2016, 06:13   #136

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: AIS now compulsory for foreign yachts in Thailand

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
I don't profess to know about every nation, but that is certainly not true for Australia. We make plenty of laws that you and your vessel will have to conform to whilst in Australian waters. Plenty, and we couldn't give a crap where you from or where your vessel is registered..
We might make rules for all vessels of a type must conform to, Australian and foreign, but I have not heard that we make rules that only apply to foreign vessels?
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2016, 15:50   #137

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozskipper View Post
Agreed. The same goes for NZ. In fact they were one of the first countries that wouldnt allow foreign vessels to exit without NZ minimum safety gear.

It caused a lot of commotion for a couple of years to say the least. But it basically means no safety compliance = no exit.

Side note, it was the direct result of the 1994 storm that took out multiple boats in the June long weekend "bomb" that hit a small fleet of boats sailing from NZ to Numea. Good article on it here The 1994 Queen's birthday storm | Pangolin
Actually, the infamous "section 21" was disputed legally, and eventually went all the way to the NZ Supreme Court... where it was thrown out. Foreign registered yachts no longer were required to meet NZ safety rules in order to exit. The decision was based on NZ's being a signitory nation to some UN treaties relative to such matters... I forget the actual nomenclature.

At the time, many cruising yotties boycotted NZ, ourselves included, and the service providers that depended upon the trade from the overseas yachts were badly hurt. We were sorry that they suffered, but felt that the NZ requirements were both illegal (which proved to be true) and often unreasonable for cruisers. The rule, based upon Category 1 offshore racing rules had specifications not particularly relevant to short handed cruising, and included the requirement to fit a liferaft that had a current inspection certificate. Many cruisers do not adhere to this practice, and did not wish to spend the thousands of dollars to meet it. Other things like specific heights and spacing of life line stanchions were hard to retrofit. It was a very contentious period, one which had a high cost for the marine industries in NZ.

I don't know how this relates to the AIS requirement in Thailand, but my personal expectation is that many other places will follow suit with the rule, and I'm not all that opposed to it myself.

Jim
Old 24-03-2016, 02:37   #138
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondR View Post
We might make rules for all vessels of a type must conform to, Australian and foreign, but I have not heard that we make rules that only apply to foreign vessels?
Yep agree, which is what I said, couldn't care where you are from, here there or somewhere else, you come here you follow the rules.

which was in response to
Quote:
authorities are free to set any rules they like for domestic vessels. After that it's a matter of debate if they can demand foreign vessels to follow some of them
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 23:31   #139

Boat: Plan Joubert 21
Send a message via Skype™ to ProjectManaia

Just out of curiousity, how enforced is all this now?
I am planning to sail my Catamaran down to Phuket in a few weeks. We DO have an AIS Transceiver on board, however it doesn't seem to transmit (but receive). So can I safely check in? Or is there crazy high fines that are enforced?
Thank you for any feedback already...
ProjectManaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 23:35   #140

Boat: Catalina 470

I had friends clear in last week, apparently there a several signs around the immigration customs building that make it clear that you need ais or you can't clear in. ....this is second hand information that I'm passing on.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 23:38   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
I had friends clear in last week, apparently there a several signs around the immigration customs building that make it clear that you need ais or you can't clear in. ....this is second hand information that I'm passing on.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Thank you for the information! Now that makes me wonder what they make you do if they don't clear you in? sail on to Malaysia!? doesn't make sense to me... but ok... maybe find a technically advanced person who can sort the AIS out and try afterwards
Old 02-04-2016, 23:48   #142

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectManaia View Post
Thank you for the information! Now that makes me wonder what they make you do if they don't clear you in? sail on to Malaysia!? doesn't make sense to me... but ok... maybe find a technically advanced person who can sort the AIS out and try afterwards
Earlier in this thread someone said they were made to purchase and install a transponder locally before being given clearance. In addiction they could turn you away I would think, yes. Fine you as well as make you install one.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 23:51   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Earlier in this thread someone said they were made to purchase and install a transponder locally before being given clearance. In addiction they could turn you away I would think, yes. Fine you as well as make you install one.
Installing one wouldn't be the issue, we have one, just seems to have some issues... being sent away would be rather painfull though, since some of the crew needs to catch flights out.
The other option would be to clear in already in Ranong, that way the stop in Phuket wouldn't be necessary.... But still a working AIS would be nice to safe headaches....
Old 03-04-2016, 00:14   #144

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Factor View Post
Yep agree, which is what I said, couldn't care where you are from, here there or somewhere else, you come here you follow the rules.

which was in response to
Depends of the rule. Special rules of the road defineatly yes, Skippers competence, never, it's defineatly flag states authority. Safety gear are a bit on the grey area and AIS falls in this category. But IMHO if demande it should be the same rule for all vessels ie no discrinination btw foreign and domestic. Thou I believe the motive behind is the military's desire to control whereabouts of all foreign vessels. The old fashioned way to controll is to have mandatory "check ins" in every port etc so mandatory AIS is actually a relief compared to that.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ais, Thailand, yacht