Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-09-2009, 10:21   #46
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Ah, from what I read there, TACSAT-2 is operational. The only problem is that it can only transfer the collected data back to Earth twice a day, so not real-time.

I agree that GEOS would be a perfect platform for a full implementation.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 10:49   #47

Boat: sold swan new cat under construction / Canados 50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500
if you are all worried whether your going to be run on the high sea's and haven't got AIS then go to and you will see any large vessel in any given area you choose

beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:57   #48

Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
I have equipped my 10m catamaran with an AIS transceiver. Sailing singlehanded
in the confines of the British Channel and crossing the two shipping lane in lousy weather, i.e. rain and visibility down to approx. 300m, it made me feel secure knowing that the big boys could see me both on radar and AIS and I could see them. I have an AIS range of 32miles in radius. Obviously in good weather and coastal cruising I don't turn the AIS on during the day.

multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 08:35   #49
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat 41 Catamaran, TabbyCat
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
European Insurance

Attached are the official Greek Regulations (from Imray 2008 book , so if traveling to Greece, you might want to see if any changes have taken place in 2009). But the main point is that they require 3rd party Liability Insurance (often called P&I) of at least 295,000 euros (let's round to $500,000) and also that you have 90,000 of pollution liability. They don't require that you have hull coverage for your own vessel. They also require that you have a certificate showing this coverage that is written in Greek, called, logically, a Greek insurance certificate.

In my experience, our clients sailing to countries in Europe need proof of insruance, but the person asking for the proof of the insurance is the Marina, rather than the port authority. We therfore provide any client traveling the med with a multilingual certificate of insurance, which shows their liability coverage amounts in French, Spanish, German, Italian, Greek & English.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Greek Yacht regulations.pdf (238.7 KB, 68 views)
IMIS - Int'l Marine Ins Svcs
please enter "Susan-CF" where it asks how you found out about IMIS
TabbyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 12:18   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
- - The original poster relied on Noonsite for the information - Noonsite, as others have said, and I know for a fact (as I supply them with updates trying to correct some of the problems) is notoriously in error in some of their information. So be very wary of anything you see on Noonsite - especially if it is in a "side letter." Noonsite does not research the veracity of side letters and does not update or change basic information within their site unless somebody from outside voluntarily takes the time and trouble to send updated information to them. And then typically they screw up the revisions and things are worse than before. Over a long persistent period of time the information finally - maybe - gets corrected. But by that time there have been new revisions and you have start all over again.
- - Be especially careful when searching the internet for information as the vast majority of websites simply "link" to a single original entry and repeat the same information over and over. If the original single entry was wrong, a hundred other sites will also be wrong. It is frustrating trying to dig deep enough to get to an actual correct source.
- - I also researched this addendum to EU maritime policy and found it only consists of an extension of AIS to large fishing boats and says nothing about private recreational sailboats. And if it did (which it doesn't )that would not be a bad thing as they state also that the EU will pay for at least 90% or more of the cost of acquiring and installing and AIS transponder. I, for one, would not mind getting one virtually for free.
- - The language is long and tedious and contains many qualifiers and escape clauses for vessels from countries where insurance and AIS is not required for their vessels. The EU does not want to shut down trade with small countries or stop the flow of cheap goods into the E.U.

osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote

ais, Europe

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: