Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2012, 21:47   #1

Advice on Selling my Boat in Mexico

Hi i'm new here. I have a Wharram Tiki 30 in Hualtuco. I have a buyer and want to explain to him the procedure of the transaction. So for I have contacted an escrow company that the major brokers use. They say they can complete the transaction but believe that a broker may be needed. Anyone have experience with this? My boat is Canadian registered with T.I.P and the U.S. buyer plans to sail South.

Is a broker needed?

thanks.
arin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2012, 14:54   #2

Boat: Negotiating purchase of 2nd hand yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to Mexdon
Re: Advice on Selling my Boat in Mexico

Not sure about the broker but no foreign flagged vessel can be sold in Mexico. Doing so will cause you no end of trouble and red tape. The boat has to be taken into international waters for the transaction to be made. If your buyer is Mexican he will have to pay import duty and IVA upon it's return so it can be Mexican registered. If it is a foreign buyer you will cancel your TIP when you sail out of the country...permanently and when the new owner arrives with the new boat and registration he must clear in and as normal and get his own TIP and Mexican insurance.

I have not done this but it was explained to me by a broker with whom I was dealing with re a USA vessel here in Mexico.

But please check everything before you make a move otherwise it could be very costly if not jail time.
When I was a boy my momma would send me down to the corner store with $1 and I would come back with 5 potatoes, 2 loaves of bread, 3 bottles of milk, a hunk of cheese, a box of tea and 6 eggs. Can't do that now, too many f**kn security cameras.
Mexdon is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico, mexico