Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2019, 23:41   #1

Boat: Catalina Morgan 45
ABYC Standards on Older Boats

I have a question for surveyors or other knowledgeable professionals. Also links to back up answers would also be appreciated.

I have a 1981 Cooper 416. A recent survey noted a few items that did not meet current ABYC standards. For example, the AC panel did not have a dual pole circuit breaker. The OEM panel has a single breaker on the hot line and a reverse polarity indicator.

So...do I really have to update the OEM panel with a dual circuit breaker?

(Just as a footnote...I have had 2 surveys done by one surveyor (1 when I purchased the boat and 1 ten years later) and he did not indicate this and other things as a problem. A new surveyor performed a survey this year for insurance purposes and is saying things must change....of course he also says I need a MOB pole which is know is horse manure.)
Old 21-08-2019, 01:34   #2
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF
Re: ABYC Standards on Older Boats

No of course you have choices.

But if you want to keep getting insured by the company that insists on those "upgrades", the choices get more limited.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 03:45   #3

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
I have a question for surveyors or other knowledgeable professionals. Also links to back up answers would also be appreciated.

I have a 1981 Cooper 416. A recent survey noted a few items that did not meet current ABYC standards. For example, the AC panel did not have a dual pole circuit breaker. The OEM panel has a single breaker on the hot line and a reverse polarity indicator.

So...do I really have to update the OEM panel with a dual circuit breaker?

(Just as a footnote...I have had 2 surveys done by one surveyor (1 when I purchased the boat and 1 ten years later) and he did not indicate this and other things as a problem. A new surveyor performed a survey this year for insurance purposes and is saying things must change....of course he also says I need a MOB pole which is know is horse manure.)
You should discuss this with your insurance company. They may not require certain upgrades noted by their surveyor. But you need to get in writing the responses from the insurance company.

Frankly, installing a dual pole breaker is not that big of a deal I would think. And it is a good idea because of numerous examples of miswired marina hookups.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 04:04   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Your surveyor is wrong.

ABYC requires EITHER a double pole circuit breaker OR a single pole with polarity indicator.
Old 21-08-2019, 04:26   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
Your surveyor is wrong.

ABYC requires EITHER a double pole circuit breaker OR a single pole with polarity indicator.
Indeed.
Per ABYC E-11:
Quote:
11.10.2.6.1 For boats wired with 120 volt, single-phase systems, branch circuit breakers shall simultaneously open both current-carrying conductors. Fuses shall not be used. (See E-11.17.1, DIAGRAM 1 and DIAGRAM 2.)
Quote:
EXCEPTION: Branch circuit breakers may open only the ungrounded current carrying conductor if the AC system on the boat is equipped with a polarity indicator, or transformer (See DIAGRAM 3 and DIAGRAM 6).”

Page 21 “E-11"http://www.blackfinforums.com/sites/.../abyc-e-11.pdf

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:08   #6

I have had surveyors want to write up things that are "opinions" but presented as "requirements"; I've called BS on two or three of those items over the years. When the surveyor put together a draft survey result for my review prior to issuing the final survey, I pointed out things that were technically incorrect or I asked for the specific source language of the standard so I could intelligently disagree (or at least acknowledge he was correct).

When I've disagreed with a survey finding, I have had good results in asking the surveyor to change his language or to put in qualifiers such as "while not required by ABYC E-XX, the surveyor believes this should be upgraded to ..." Then at least I had some room to discuss with insurance when they asked for my plan on how I was going to address the major survey findings.

In your example, if you can get the surveyor to use the language "At the time of construction of this vessel, the electrical system met ABYC standards for [whatever]. However, those standards now require an AC panel with... While failure to make this modification to a vessel of this age is not a major shortfall by ABYC standards, this surveyor believes it is a reasonable safety improvement to upgrade the AC panel." Then you at least can make the argument to insurance that the upgrade is not required, but you will consider adding that upgrade if you make any future modifications to the electrical system. I've not yet had any insurance company say "No - make the upgrade now."
Pelican_38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 07:17   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelican_38 View Post
I have had surveyors want to write up things that are "opinions" but presented as "requirements"; I've called BS on two or three of those items over the years. When the surveyor put together a draft survey result for my review prior to issuing the final survey, I pointed out things that were technically incorrect or I asked for the specific source language of the standard so I could intelligently disagree (or at least acknowledge he was correct).

When I've disagreed with a survey finding, I have had good results in asking the surveyor to change his language or to put in qualifiers such as "while not required by ABYC E-XX, the surveyor believes this should be upgraded to ..." Then at least I had some room to discuss with insurance when they asked for my plan on how I was going to address the major survey findings.

In your example, if you can get the surveyor to use the language "At the time of construction of this vessel, the electrical system met ABYC standards for [whatever]. However, those standards now require an AC panel with... While failure to make this modification to a vessel of this age is not a major shortfall by ABYC standards, this surveyor believes it is a reasonable safety improvement to upgrade the AC panel." Then you at least can make the argument to insurance that the upgrade is not required, but you will consider adding that upgrade if you make any future modifications to the electrical system. I've not yet had any insurance company say "No - make the upgrade now."
Read previous posts. The OP requires no upgrade. His electrical system is ABYC compliant as it sits.
Old 21-08-2019, 08:18   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Your surveyor is wrong.

Actually that is not accurate in regards to a 120V equipped vessel.

I suspect what you are referring to is the section for branch circuit breakers. If the vessel does not have a reverse polarity indicator, even though it may have a double pole main breaker, then even the branch breakers need to be double pole/simultaneous trip. If there is a reverse polarity indicator the "exception" allows for branch breakers to then interrupt only AC black/hot.

For a 120V equipped boat this is the section that matters:

"11.10.2.8.2.1 120 volt AC, single phase - ungrounded and grounded conductors (white)"

The standard, in regards to AC Overcurrent Protection 11.10.2, is currently confusing, and out of order, and will get more clear in the next re-write.

Bottom line is that a 120V boat requires a main AC breaker that trips both AC Hot and AC Neutral. Technically the boat actually needs an ELCI main or Type A RCD breaker that is simultaneous trip for AC Hot and AC Neutral.

While the OP's boat is not required to meet any standard in the US, if the insurance company wants to see a double pole breaker, and he wants insurance, he will likely need to comply.

We've seen numerous cases of owners dropped by insurers in last ten years for failing to comply with insurance surveys.
Old 21-08-2019, 08:23   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS-36T - Cupecoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Indeed.
Per ABYC E-11:

11.10.2.6.1 For boats wired with 120 volt, single-phase systems, branch circuit breakers shall simultaneously open both current-carrying conductors. Fuses shall not be used. (See E-11.17.1, DIAGRAM 1 and DIAGRAM 2.)

EXCEPTION: Branch circuit breakers may open only the ungrounded current carrying conductor if the AC system on the boat is equipped with a polarity indicator, or transformer (See DIAGRAM 3 and DIAGRAM 6).”
The red highlights are important details that can get lost in the mix..

Old 21-08-2019, 08:51   #10

Quote:
Your surveyor is wrong.

That is for branch circuits. Without the light every single breaker needs to be double pole. The main always must be.

Current abyc requires an elci double pole main breaker. So your surveyer is behind the times with only a reg double pole

Weather you need to continue to meet new codes I have no idea. Certainly don’t in a house. Only when doing upgrades do you need to meet current code.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2019, 10:55   #11

Boat: Gaff rigged Ketch[Spray]37' on deck

My experience with surveyor's, is they want to appear to have done a through job, so will come up with some B.S. notation in the survey [i do elect., plumbing, refrigeration, ect.] i have had them change the report many times, as it was there opinion, not ABYC regs.
Dougtiff is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat